To not go to group interview?

(14 Posts)
ShyGirl23 Wed 27-Apr-16 13:46:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Wed 27-Apr-16 13:48:05

Quite normal ... We are doing these this week again

Creampastry Wed 27-Apr-16 13:51:43

If you are socially awkward, how will you cope on reception. Besides that, group interviews are tossy.

Fratelli Wed 27-Apr-16 13:52:22

If you want the job you should go. It's not going to be a long time out of your whole life.

ShyGirl23 Wed 27-Apr-16 16:09:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

CaptainCrunch Wed 27-Apr-16 16:12:36

You're not being logical. If you can cope with customers you can cope with this.

megletthesecond Wed 27-Apr-16 16:14:53

I'm excellent at customer service (reception, shop and face to face) but would rather die than do a group interview. I was shit when I did one.

BlueJug Wed 27-Apr-16 16:17:23

I agree OP - and TBH I think they are rubbish. (And I was v at ease in customer facing jobs).

If that's what they want though and if you want to job you have to go and do it. Good luck

NotCitrus Wed 27-Apr-16 16:20:08

Groups are just people.

One reason they do things like this (presentations in particular) is it reduces the numbers of people who turn up, so if you do go you're doing better than many people already.

luckyjazz Wed 27-Apr-16 16:21:44

Group interviews and playing games...ugh, nope not for me, why can't companies just interview you anymore? I sympathise OP, I was on reception, front of house in most of my previous jobs and have no problems dealing with customers, visitors etc but this would have me running for the hills, it just makes me cringe, and as for the companies that want you to have a team sing song before work, just NO.

fuzzyllama Wed 27-Apr-16 16:24:36

For someone who is socially awkward also, I have attended about three group interviews, and actually really enjoyed them. But I am hugely competitive, and I found that gave me the confidence I needed. If you want the job you should go, especially if you have never had a group interview before. You may surprise yourself !

Ameliablue Wed 27-Apr-16 16:26:39

Yes you should go. Even if you don't get this job, the experience will help with future interviews and these type of things are more and more common, even once you've got the job.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Wed 27-Apr-16 21:24:47

These types of interview are great for weeding out slackers and poor communicators. We've dodged many a bullet when the persons cv looks ok otherwise

HeddaGarbled Wed 27-Apr-16 21:48:51

I think you should do it. So you are going to be paired up and play a game. You need to show that you can work co-operatively with the person in your pair. You can be friendly with this person, yes? And discuss strategy for the game in an equal way, don't dominate, don't be too passive.

Don't worry about the competitive element. No one will care about whether you win or lose. In fact over competitive people may well rule themselves out. They will be looking for people who participate enthusiastically but in a good humoured way, who stay professional whether they win or lose and who are good at forming productive and harmonious working relationships.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now