To wish I had kept my maiden name?

(3 Posts)
tangerino Wed 27-Apr-16 13:19:13

When I got married (15 years ago) I kept my maiden name at work and used a mix of maiden and married names at home. Then, when DS was born it all seemed a bit complicated, so I switched to my married name for everything.

I now regret this and wish I'd kept my maiden name- I feel it's much more me than my married name will ever be and also a more interesting name in itself.

Has anyone switched back in this situation? I can't see how I would do it without making people assume we're getting divorced or finding it really weird. I don't think my husband would be bothered, although my kids might find it a bit odd (although TBH they'd barely notice if it was just a question of the name on my bank statement etc).

cinnamonorange Wed 27-Apr-16 13:27:55

I switched back after about four years; I never could get used to not having my own name. Some people asked what was going on and I just explained it to them. They can tell DH and I are still solid, and they respect me for being true to myself. It's fine.

Lottapianos Wed 27-Apr-16 13:29:23

Switch back. It's your name. You're entitled to use your own name. Everyone will get over it soon enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now