to allow my daughter to have the HPV vaccine?

(17 Posts)
papayasareyum Mon 25-Apr-16 12:40:14

My eldest daughter had it, with no side effects.
I should add that, I am very pro- vaccinations, (my kids have had everything offered thus far) so that's not the issue.
My middle daughter is 13 and due to have her jab on Wednesday.
She's had really bad anxiety over the past year or so (being sorted via cbt and regular trips to docs and she's coming out the other side)
As a result of the anxiety, she's lost about 2.5 stones and hasn't had a period for 6 months. She's had her weight monitored at doctors and is on the low end of normal bmi range (the weight loss is related to anxiety and not an eating disorder. If i gave more details, it would definitely out me, but the doctor doesn't think it's an eating disorder, she's had a stable, unchanging weight for past 3 months too)
So, I'm worried about her having this vaccination as she's not had a period for 6 months and gets stressed quite easily (don't want to add to it)
Should i postpone it or am I worrying needlessly?
(advice from medical people welcome too, I expect my GP will just give blanket instruct to vax)

ChalkHearts Mon 25-Apr-16 12:45:06

She's 13. I'd postpone it.

The idea is that she should have it before she becomes sexually active. So hopefully no rush to have it done.

VertigoNun Mon 25-Apr-16 12:47:13

My youngest has no intention of having it yet, she has enough health issues and there is currently a class action around this vaccine.

FuzzyOwl Mon 25-Apr-16 12:49:21

I would go ahead with it. Perhaps arrange a treat for the evening or weekend afterwards to distract from it.

Sidge Mon 25-Apr-16 12:50:48

Is SHE worried about having the vaccine?

If the idea of the vaccine is causing her huge, additional anxiety then you might want to postpone it, however she may have to wait another year for it depending on the school nurses visiting schedule.

However if she's generally anxious and no more anxious regarding this, then maybe let her decide on the day. Giving her that element of control could be helpful. She might actually feel OK about it, especially if all her friends are having it done too.

Her weight loss and lack of periods aren't reasons to postpone, in clinical terms.

MrsJayy Mon 25-Apr-16 12:51:50

I think I'd postpone she has much going on ATM she can go to the GP when she is better my DDS are older and Didn't get it till they were 17 and 15 there is no rush to get ot

jennifer86 Mon 25-Apr-16 12:52:18

Has she said she doesn't want it? Is she scared of needles? Have you discussed it with her? I wouldn't stop her having it just because she has anxiety and is under weight. But if she has said she doesn't want it then YWNBU to ask to postpone it.

MrsJayy Mon 25-Apr-16 12:52:56

I agree you should ask her what she wants you can decide together

IcingandSlicing Mon 25-Apr-16 12:53:34

Cab you have this vaccne at anytime or does it have some specific requirements?
If at any time I'd leave it for later.

MrsJayy Mon 25-Apr-16 12:58:28

It's part of the immunisation programme in schools she would probably be able to get it at a later date op would need to look into it though

papayasareyum Mon 25-Apr-16 13:06:48

she's not really worried about it, she hasn't got a needle phobia. The worry is coming from me (i'm not showing her) because I've heard there can be a few more side effects with the hpv than other vaccines and she's had dizziness and nausea as a result of her stress. The school sent home a letter telling girls to eat a big breakfast before coming in that day, which worried me too, because I know a few in my eldest girls year passed out after having it (because they were anxious, I believe and not an adverse reaction to a vaccine)

Sidge Mon 25-Apr-16 13:22:58

If she's not worried about it I'd let her have it then.

I've given this to hundreds of girls and most side effects were along the lines of group hysteria rather than genuine problems! Teenage girls can be prone to dramatics and declare it absolute agony and they MUST be excused maths/English/PE because they've had their jab grin

It can cause a sore arm and some girls do feel a bit off colour that evening.

MrsJayy Mon 25-Apr-16 13:44:34

Yes I think if she is OK about it then don't make a thing of it make sure she has her breakfast and give her some chocolate for afterwards I thought she was worried to but she seems on by what you are saying dd2 was very dramatic about it she came home and rested her arm on a pillow hmm but was fine after a "rest" and a paracetamol

VestalVirgin Mon 25-Apr-16 13:45:24

Ask her if she wants it.

I could have gotten it for free, back then when I was younger, but didn't because I was worried about the side effects.
It is her decision - she is the only one who knows how likely it is that she will become sexually active anytime soon.

I think it is horribly sexist that no one talks about boys getting the vaccine, despite them being the ones who spread the disease.

albertcampionscat Mon 25-Apr-16 13:49:55

If she's not worried about it, I'd go ahead. There are plenty of sexually active 14 year olds.

MrsJayy Mon 25-Apr-16 13:53:37

I think they should all get it too vestalvorgin not just girls

VestalVirgin Mon 25-Apr-16 14:52:17

I think they should all get it too vestalvorgin not just girls

Yeah, but it is only girls at this school, isn't it?

I already boycotted the vaccination against rubella because I detested the sexism and also had not plans to become pregnant anyway. Got forced to have it done at 16, which was still early enough. (In fact, I could have gotten it at 25 and that would still have been early enough)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now