wibu if I asked my neighbours to start their DIY later than 7 as it keeps waking my ds up

(22 Posts)
Ahappynewmummy Mon 25-Apr-16 09:03:41

my ds is only 14 weeks old and I'm trying to get him have as much sleep as he can but my neighbours were hammering at 7 this morning then started a shouting match. this woke my ds up and he screamed the house down and took me ages to calm him down.

wibu if I went round and asked them to not start till a bit later? or start a different room first?

TheCatsMeow Mon 25-Apr-16 09:06:40

No, I have neighbours that like to do DIY from 8-11pm and it was waking up my son. I just politely asked if they'd keep it down, they were very apologetic. Most people don't think it can be heard through the walls.

I'd go and ask, 7am is unreasonable even without kids next door tbh

crazywriter Mon 25-Apr-16 09:06:52

7am is early regardless of a newborn. I wouldn't see a problem with asking him to start later, say after 8:30 maybe? Do it kindly and politely.

Ahappynewmummy Mon 25-Apr-16 09:12:55

I thought I was just being a horrible person cause they woke my ds up. since half 8 they haven't done no more. so I don't know if it's a spur of the moment thing either.

timemaychangeme Mon 25-Apr-16 09:18:44

If it carries on, I'd definitely tell them it's waking your baby and ask if they can start later. It's awful if ds needs/wants more sleep and they're waking him each morning. 7 is too early. DD lives next to a house that's been demolished and now being rebuilt. It was going on all through her pregnancy and now dgd is nearly 8 months old, not a lot seems to be happening other than hideous drilling, hammering and sawing all flaming day. Poor dgd who is a pretty bullet proof sleeper, keeps being woken up or can't nap. It is absolutely maddening, so I feel your pain. In your case, it's easier to broach if you need to, and I'd have no hesitation in asking.

NewStartNewName Mon 25-Apr-16 09:52:08

If it happens again I'd say something, but maybe today was some sort of emergency like a burst pipe or something - especially given the shouting match?

Ahappynewmummy Mon 25-Apr-16 10:10:17

ds can normally sleep through anything but it must be the banging that's waking him up. you can put the hoover right next to him and nothing haha.

NNalreadyinuse Mon 25-Apr-16 10:16:37

Sorry, I don't think you can ask. Lots of people go to work early and want to get their housework out of the way so they don't come home to messy dishes.

I think it is just a consequence of living close to people and you can't really expect them to change how they do things. You have to accept their dishwasher and they have to accept your baby crying.

NewStartNewName Mon 25-Apr-16 10:33:32

NN Op isn't talking about housework - it's DIY at 7am that's the problem!!

LuisSuarezTeeth Mon 25-Apr-16 10:37:43

7am? I'd have been straight round. Just have a word, I'm sure they don't realise.

NNalreadyinuse Mon 25-Apr-16 11:03:40

Take no notice of me
God knows where I got the dishwasher thing from confused

NewStartNewName Mon 25-Apr-16 11:20:10

NN it's Monday, these things happen!!

Pinkheart5915 Mon 25-Apr-16 11:25:18

Is it's the first time today I wouldn't say anything it could of been emergency diy.
If they do it again tomorrow ask them not to start so early, but they won't have to of course.
Makes me glad i don't have neighbours

Ahappynewmummy Mon 25-Apr-16 21:01:04

sorry been busy all day.

NN it's a Monday you're allowed to have moment (I have them every day though)

I think it was just a one off. the screaming matches aren't. they've screamed at 2:30 and 4 in the morning before now so that were use to.

I'm going to see what they're like tomorrow. I do believe it was a urgent DIY but I can't be having them doing it at 7 just because they're up. I have a little one to think of. I was up feeding him at half 4 up at 6 cause DP went to work so just as I was settling down to go back to sleep, bang bang bang and cry cry cry. I wasn't a pretty sight this morning haha.

StubbleTurnips Mon 25-Apr-16 21:04:22

Our NDN is currently hammer drilling his bathroom, which sounds like a jet engine on the party wall.

I will get the fucker back by having the leaf blower on at 8am Saturday & Sunday when he's hungover, he moans like a pollock about it.

StubbleTurnips Mon 25-Apr-16 21:04:33

Pillock not pollock

Verticalvenetianblinds Mon 25-Apr-16 21:05:43

You sure their doing diy? Not having fights then making up?shock

Ahappynewmummy Mon 25-Apr-16 21:22:03

I did question that at first vert but it's banging then screaming then quiet. so unless they make up by DTD then shout I don't think it's that.

lougle Mon 25-Apr-16 21:24:19

I was going to say YABU, as I had 7 am in my head re. Night time noise. But while it's not law, council guidance seems to be 8am for DIY and avoid on Sundays.

I do sympathise. I work a variety of shifts and when I've done a night shift my heart drinks when a neighbour puts on basey music that booms through my walls. But I tell myself it's not their fault I was up all night and that they are perfectly entitled to enjoy their music, then I try to block it out!

Ahappynewmummy Mon 25-Apr-16 21:37:04

I didn't know there was a government guidance.

if it was music then I wouldn't be moaning as we can all enjoy ourselves. I've done it myself when I was living at home and my parents were away, I didn't get back in till 5 in the morning and I decided not to go to sleep and put music on loud.

OVienna Tue 26-Apr-16 08:10:17

Yes of course you can ask! It's very rude to start that early.

Ahappynewmummy Wed 27-Apr-16 08:16:05

just an update. they didn't do no banging yesterday but (luckily I was up as I'm normally catching up on sleep now) they started to bang about 8ish but it doesn't sound like DIY, sounds like ands banging on the wall. a few raised voices again.

I don't know what to make of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now