To think the only place open on a Sunday should be the pubs?

(175 Posts)
EatShitDerek Sun 24-Apr-16 09:35:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FatPaul Sun 24-Apr-16 09:36:40

It's not warm enough for the pub garden sad

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Sun 24-Apr-16 09:37:36

I don't want to rub salt in the wound but I'm just off to drop the kids off to my mums so I can spend the day in the pub....

Enjoy work though

AyeAmarok Sun 24-Apr-16 09:38:16

I love Scotland.

EVERYTHING is open here on Sundays!

Sparklycat Sun 24-Apr-16 09:40:52

Yabu. If the shops weren't open in Sunday the most people who work mon-fri would have trouble cramming everything they need to do into a Saturday. If you don't like working Sunday's find a different hours job?

CuttedUpPear Sun 24-Apr-16 09:44:40

That's a bit mean sparklycat

Retail workers don't get to pick and choose their shifts.

Many more of us don't get to pick and choose their careers.

Mavisblewitt Sun 24-Apr-16 09:45:38

YABU. I need to do my food shop today!
However I'm always grateful that people give up their Sunday's so I can get what I need. I couldn't imagine going back to everything being closed on a Sunday, it would make my Saturday's too hectic!
So thank you! I hope it's not too boring for you today smile

ilovesooty Sun 24-Apr-16 09:46:44

If the only thing open were the pubs there wouldn't be any public transport for people too far away to walk to the pubs grin

chipsandpeas Sun 24-Apr-16 09:47:10

so its ok for all retail staff not to work on a sunday but pub staff have to

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Sun 24-Apr-16 09:47:28

I don't think yabu I don't see any reason for shops to be open on a Sunday, we all survived when I was a child and shops weren't 24/7.

DP works in retail (although is about to switch carers) and hardly ever gets a weekend day off, I work mon-fri and would happily squeeze everything into saturday if it meant we could have sunday as a family day

EatShitDerek Sun 24-Apr-16 09:49:32

mamaduckbone Sun 24-Apr-16 09:50:49

YANBU. My Dh has just set off for work, so rather than spend the day in the sunshine with his family and watch ds2 in his first St Georges Day parade he will be standing in a shop.
I don't remember the world grinding to a halt when shops were closed on Sundays...and that was before the days of online shopping as well.

Sirzy Sun 24-Apr-16 09:51:13

Surely it isn't economically sensible to open a shop on s Sunday if it will be that quiet? Unless the sales are very big

tilliebob Sun 24-Apr-16 09:51:53

Yeah I did get that it was light hearted OP but as usual the snarky and professionally offended are up early too but not heading to work

NoahVale Sun 24-Apr-16 09:52:21

tesco informed me that Sunday was their Busiest day!
life is busy,
we are all trying to scratch a living, getting the weekly shop in when we can.

but i agree, ban sunday shopping, unless its for beer, grin

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Sun 24-Apr-16 09:53:25

Knowing my luck I'd be working in a pub!! (again, lighthearted)

EatShitDerek Sun 24-Apr-16 09:53:28

BadDoGooder Sun 24-Apr-16 09:55:07

Oh Derek I think the easily riled have hangovers this morning and are taking it out on MN! grin

I love sitting in pubs people watching, YADNBU!
Couldn't you accidentally trip over and fall into the nearest spoonies, injuring yourself bad enough to have to stay there, but not bad enough to require medical attention? wink

(I was both retail and bar staff in my time and I would far rather work my local on a Sunday than be stuck in some shitty shop. hth!)

EatShitDerek Sun 24-Apr-16 09:55:15

giggly Sun 24-Apr-16 09:55:28

Tell us where you work and we'll bring a bench a few pints and some captured sun. Your boss will never need to knowbrew

AuditAngel Sun 24-Apr-16 09:55:43

Well, I am a Christian and choose to celebrate my religion on a Sunday , but as the wonderfully accepting community that we are, shouldn't we also close everything on a Saturday to celebrate Sabbath?

EatShitDerek Sun 24-Apr-16 09:56:31

AdoraKiora Sun 24-Apr-16 09:56:51

Shops are heaving in London on a Sunday.

I feel your pain, though. Pub sounds fun grin

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Sun 24-Apr-16 09:56:59

mamaduckbone I sympathise, DP misses out on most family days out and my mum comes with me and ds instead

TheSolitaryWanderer Sun 24-Apr-16 09:57:15

I'm puzzled though, a lot of women seem to want jobs that fit round the children, and weekend jobs often do. Likewise students.
So for that reason YABU.
I used to spend long evenings marking books, thinking 'I want to be at the pub' smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now