AIBU to just want the baby to stop screaming?!

(18 Posts)
gemmalou123 Sat 23-Apr-16 22:41:47

12 week old ds has been pretty much inconsolable since Tuesday. He had his jabs Tuesday afternoon, could they still be affecting him? When he has fallen asleep, he has woken up screaming. He's messing around when hes feeding and it's taking three times as long as usual. I can't put him down for even a minute without him screaming and getting himself all worked up. Please somebody tell me how to fix him, feeling so guilty that I can't make him feel any better.

AliceInHinterland Sat 23-Apr-16 22:45:54

YANBU but babies don't really do 'reasonable' - hope you're okay - just be there for him if you can and take a breather when you can't. Let him get it all off his chest.

Oh love. You have my sympathies. I remember very little of ds1's first year - it was mostly crying (his & mine). It will pass. I promise.

He'll sense that you're getting stressed so is there anyone who could be with him for a while? (DP? DH?) even ten minutes to yourself for a shower or a walk round the block might help you feel better.

For DS, have you given calpol? Tried white noise? If you've not already seen it Google "fourth trimester" / "happiest baby on the block" / "five Ss" - the man who came up with them is a genius!

Good luck flowers

charliedontsurf Sat 23-Apr-16 22:52:12

Has he got trapped wind? DD used to howl her head off when she did, DH used to bicycle her legs until the er..wind was released grin also we used dentinox colic drops which were amazing, way better than infacol.

Failing that...teething?

Illstartexercisingtomorrow Sat 23-Apr-16 22:53:45

Oh so so tough and exhausting! hope it gets better soon. It's a long time to be dealing with this, maybe go back to the GP in monday?

If you are getting exhausted and find yourself losing your patience (sleep deprivation plus stress of baby screaming is an awful combo) then always remember it is better to put baby down in a safe place (eg cot) and go to another room, scream into a pillow/have a cup of tea/phone a friend - than carrying on with baby and losing your cool. Not meaning to be alarmist or accusatory, just general very good advice that I have received and should be passed on to any parent or carer in this situation.

HoppingForward Sat 23-Apr-16 22:56:09

I second possible trapped wind. I just wasn't doing the rub, rub, rub, push, tap hard enough because I thought she was fagile.

<eyes up 14yr old DD currently bouncing on our trampoline with her friends>

flowers

AnotherStitchInTime Sat 23-Apr-16 23:00:54

Could he be in pain, a headache maybe?

gemmalou123 Sat 23-Apr-16 23:02:16

It's more the guilt I'm feeling than anything else. Feeling pretty crap that I can't fix it for him sad will try bicycling legs etc. He isn't drawing his knees up like I've read they do with colic, he's thrashing his arms and legs about frantically and just going nuts. Poor thing.

How are you doing?

NarcyCow Sun 24-Apr-16 08:22:46

Is he refluxy? Mine both were and got a lot worse after jobs - I remember DS crying for 6 solid hours after his first ones; he was so hoarse by the end that there was no sound coming out but he was still trying to scream. Anything that triggers their immune system always made them worse. That would be consistent with the reluctance to feed.

wannabehippyandcrazycatlover Sun 24-Apr-16 12:11:19

My DD was awful after 2nd lot of jabs. I think it's the rotavirus drops, it gave her stomach cramps.

I did the bicycle legs and it seemed to help but it will pass, I know it's hard at the minute but it will get easier.

Have some thanks I know exactly how you feel!!!

alliemay Sun 24-Apr-16 12:27:21

Hope you're doing okay OP, both of mine were screamers and it's heartbreaking and exhausting.

Will he settle when he's on the move in the pram? That was always my last resort with DS. Gave me a bit of headspace and quiet even though I had to keep moving.

Sending brew and thanks and hope he settles soon!

GinAndColonic Sun 24-Apr-16 12:31:58

Is he screaming after calpol still?

orozing Sun 24-Apr-16 12:32:52

have you tried white noise? I know that sounds so simple, but during that 12 week point it really calmed my dd down

gemmalou123 Sun 24-Apr-16 15:34:45

Thank you all, calpol and bicycling legs and a bit of patting and rocking seems to have released.some trapped wind! Lol. He's a little bit better today, but still not right. Hopefully a better nights sleep tonight and a good day tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Artandco Sun 24-Apr-16 15:40:52

Swaddle him. Will stop him thrashing around

Put him in a sling and carry around at home and out if needed

Lay him over your lap on his front, so face slight facing you but down. Hold gently and pat bottom gently to soothe

ForTheSakeOfFuck Sun 24-Apr-16 15:43:44

I don't know if you're doing this but with DS1 my life was practically turned round overnight by shoving him in a sling. I was at my wit's end with the crying that went back and forth between wailing and shrieking and I was at the point where I literally couldn't keep carrying him. It didn't stop the crying entirely but we went from hours at a time down to twenty or thirty minute stretches between long gaps of golden, beautiful silence when he slept. AND I got my hands back. If you're already doing this then all I can do is offer you very heartfelt flowers. We endured what felt like an eternity of almost continual crying though in the end it was probably only five or six weeks.

Only. HAHAHAHAAahahahaa... sob.

ForTheSakeOfFuck Sun 24-Apr-16 15:44:23

I suspect that DS1 had silent reflux, btw which was why the upright carrying seemed to be so effective.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now