Nervous about London tomorrow

(71 Posts)
Realitea Sat 23-Apr-16 21:50:55

AIBU to be so nervous about getting the tube tomorrow? Will need to use it a lot throughout the day and I am making myself worse by reading the news online and the threats etc.
Dh is cross with me but he is from London and doesn't really think about it. I think the marathon being on heightens the danger. I feel very anxious about this sad

ivykaty44 Sat 23-Apr-16 21:53:20

You are more likely to be in a car crash....

Will you travel by car tomorrow? Or is that to much of a risk?

Statistics will show you are safest in a lift

BorisJohnsonsHair Sat 23-Apr-16 21:54:26

Please try not to worry. Thousands and thousands of people use the Tube every day; the chances of anything happening during a major event are minimal, due to the huge amount of extra security and even if something were to happen, the chances of you being involved are miniscule.

Don't be anxious, go along and have a fantastic time.

ivykaty44 Sat 23-Apr-16 21:55:24

3287 people die everyday in cars, it is by far one of the most dangerous forms of transport and one of the most dangerous things we do everyday

Realitea Sat 23-Apr-16 21:56:02

Thank you.. I wish I could take the car or even bus would feel safer but it's so much quicker by tube.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 23-Apr-16 21:56:06

I'd like to say yanbu but i couldn't travel on the underground just now. my dp applied to do the marathon and i was so relieved when he didn't get a place.

I do suffer from anxiety though so im not the best person to ask.

NowSissyThatWalk Sat 23-Apr-16 21:59:53

I'm doing the marathon tomorrow (as a race supporter for the MND Association, I'm not bloody running wink) and I hadn't thought about it until my DP told me to be vigilant. Agree with PP, even if there was a similar Boston style attack, you are highly unlikely to be involved. Try not to worry, that is what they want after all.

Fillybuster Sat 23-Apr-16 22:01:39

It's a funny one. My initial reaction on reading your post was "don't be so silly", but that's because I take the tube every day for work and have no choice in the matter. And I've lived in London pretty much my whole life, so it feels normal to me.

But thinking about it again, I can see lots of reasons why it would be stressful for anyone who doesn't use it regularly, especially at the moment.

It will be fine: it's very straightforward and mostly quite reliable, which is of course partly why so many people use it and it gets so unpleasantly full.

But if you're really not comfortable, have you checked out alternative routes using the bus or overland train network? How far do you need to travel?

disappoint15 Sat 23-Apr-16 22:08:37

Millions of people live in London and take the tube every day. The chances of anything happening are very small and if something does happen, the chances that you will be in the wrong place at the wrong time are even smaller. It's like the lottery - someone always wins, but the odds are very long.

There are frequently posts on here from people who don't live in London saying they wouldn't go there now, post the Paris bombings. But of course nothing has happened in London since Paris and those of us who live here have continued to get the tube, get buses, go to crowded places including theatres and concert venues, go to airports, get trains at major London termini....

Something bad probably will happen at some time, but if, like me, you have lived in London for most of your life you realise that the chances of being caught up in a terrorist incident for any individual are vanishingly small. As previous posters have said, you are much more likely to be involved in a car crash. We are not very good at assessing risk and this makes our judgment flawed.

As my teenage son said after the Paris bombings, you've just got to carry on living your life and doing what you want because you can't control what random bad things happen. No one expects to lose a leg when they go to a theme park. No one expects their child to be blown off a bouncy castle and killed. No one expects a sofa to fall on them from the top of a building. And we don't spend much time worrying about those things, all of which have happened in the last year. So our approach to terrorist threats should be the same.

SpaceCadet4000 Sat 23-Apr-16 22:09:34

TfL estimates there are 1.3 billion passengers a year on the tube- the odds of anything bad happening to you at all are minuscule- you're probably more likely to get a small win on the lottery! I'm sure you'll be on the tube for very little time compared to the duration of your trip. Bring a book / magazine, listen to some music or play a game on your phone to block out the journey and make sure you enjoy yourself smile

CerseiHeartsJaime4ever Sat 23-Apr-16 22:14:26

Tmw is probably the safest day in the whole year to travel by tube. They will be on high alert for the Marathon and as people may have visited for the Queens birthday. I also travel on it everyday and it feels like nothing to me. I feel more worried driving in London tbh.

IDontSayBlahBlahBlah Sat 23-Apr-16 22:18:35

hmm
Comments like these irrationally irk me. There are obviously some deeper issues here and I suggest you get help with this because this is no way to live your life.

In the words of Hershel Greene:

"You walk outside, you risk your life. You take a drink of water, you risk your life. Nowadays you breath and you risk your life. You don’t have a choice. The only thing you can choose is what you’re risking it for."

thenightsky Sat 23-Apr-16 22:23:17

I thought this was going to be a thread about being nervous about running 26.2 miles.

If it is... you'll be fine.

Good luck xx

(not sure what the tube has to do with it)

chickenowner Sat 23-Apr-16 22:24:26

I do know what you mean - I grew up in Lincolnshire and used to visit London with my Mum as a child. This was during the IRA bombing campaigns and we were involved in bomb scares a few times. These involved the tube trains stopping for what seemed like ages with the info being relayed via tannoy. I never experienced an actual event but the scares were bad enough!

I always tell myself that these terrorists (whether IRA or IS) want to disturb our day to day lives and that if I stay at home they have won. (I know that this is not an original thought...)

I hope that you have a good day in London tomorrow, and don't let them disrupt your day!

AugustaFinkNottle Sat 23-Apr-16 22:26:08

A car would feel safer? Seriously? Your chances of being killed on the road are approximately 3000 times greater than your chances of being killed on the tube.

228agreenend Sat 23-Apr-16 22:26:48

I survived London today. I must admit, I had a fleeting moment when i realised we would be going on April 23rd, ie. st Georges Day, which I felt would be a good day to attack, plus it would impact on the marathon tomorrow.(good in terms of memorable date, not because it would be a good thing to do)

However, then I told my self to be silly because if they were going to attack, there's far bigger targets. Ie . president Obama, or the Queen on her 90th birthday. Consequntly, met up with friends, had a nice lunch, and then went for a nice walk.

Try to relax and enjoy the day.

AvaCrowder Sat 23-Apr-16 22:28:25

You wish you could travel by car, but the chances of death is much higher by car than tube. It's different, but it's well looked after.

Yanbu to be worried if that's how you feel, but it is a bit illogical.

whatwhatinthewhatnow Sat 23-Apr-16 22:29:00

This is why I refuse to move out of London. I don't want my kids to grow up being afraid of simple things like transport.

228agreenend Sat 23-Apr-16 22:30:17

(I'd forgotten how they used to,stop the trains during the IRA bomb threat era.)

whatwhatinthewhatnow Sat 23-Apr-16 22:32:23

They still stop the trains for delays/emergencies/overcrowding. It happens everyday. It's just part of travelling in a city.

CheckpointCharlie2 Sat 23-Apr-16 22:33:09

I have just read on Facebook (and local news) that there was a suspicious package and therefore bomb alert in my market town centre five minutes after I had left it this morning! Would never ever have thought it would happen here, and I grew up with real bomb threats and actual explosions on bases I used to live on so am more paranoid than most.
I would be worried, but also vigilant and determined to carry on as normal. I did live in London for ten years though (and also witnessed a bomb exploding at a DLR station near where I lived then too!)

jay55 Sat 23-Apr-16 22:35:30

Getting around on marathon day is a huge pain in the arse. It has to be tube due to number of bridges shut so buses/walking difficult. People in foil all over, people trying to dash between checkpoints. Bah humbug.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 23-Apr-16 22:40:28

just to help your anxiety along, you are probably more likely to die horribly from falling down the stairs at home, if you survive the car journey.

I am with blahblahblah ....for goodness sake get some help and get over this irrationality.

lorelei9here Sat 23-Apr-16 22:48:58

You may not like this answer but it sort if depends what you're worried about
I'm a lifelong Londoner and used to use the Tube daily
I now use the bus wherever possible, mostly because there's air and they can't overcrowd the bus...but also because I hate being trapped on the Tube. Twenty mins for signal failure is bad enough. If I was stucj there for longer due to a terrorist attack I'd hate it and my asthma plays up on the Tube as it is.

I'm not worried about being killed, I take the view I could get blown up on the bus, but at least the other stuff is offset!!

Chippednailvarnish Sat 23-Apr-16 22:48:59

grin Tondelaya

Your odds of being hit by lighting are 1 in 3 million, so better to stay indoors, but don't use the stairs...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now