to wonder why people are so nosey/crazy?

(8 Posts)
lorelei9here Thu 21-Apr-16 12:28:39

honestly today's papers
Victoria Wood keeping her cancer a "secret" - er, no, she kept it private.

and now some of them want to have live updates of a court case - a court case which should be a no brainer - about disclosure of someone's private sex life. Why the fuck is that not covered under a basic privacy law anyway?! The world is nuts.

Arfarfanarf Thu 21-Apr-16 14:26:27

yes. It is. Some people treat life like a soap opera and want their next juicy little episode for their entertainment and titillation. That's the only reason for, for example, grubby little kiss and tells.

It really is none of anyone's concern what consenting adults do in private.

Exceptions to that would be for example someone in a position of power abusing that power, like the prime minister demanding good old fashioned family values and passing judgement on those he decided did not adhere to the required moral code while secretly boffing half his constituency*. Exposing damaging hypocrisy or abuses of power or similar is a different matter. (I only say this because whenever you have this conversation people normally come along and say sometimes people need to know, but the two things are totally different)

*This is a fictional example. It is for illustrative purposes only.

FlyingElbows Thu 21-Apr-16 14:37:45

My husband's having this issue at work. Started new job 3 months ago and one colleague is just relentless about trying to get information about his private life. He's getting to the stage where he's considering leaving because it's pissing him off so much! I absolutely cannot understand people who think they have the right to know everything and have no social filter of their own.

araiba Thu 21-Apr-16 14:41:11

because 99% of people lead boring lives- they get their life excitement by living vicariously through others

Arfarfanarf Thu 21-Apr-16 14:43:41

Or he could amuse himself by making really crazy shit up, flying?

Or perhaps he's not childish like me grin

FlyingElbows Thu 21-Apr-16 14:49:44

He's under strict instruction to say nothing, Arf! grinwink

She's desperate for "dirt" on me and has tried fb stalking but I don't use his surname and we don't have each other on fb. She's chewing the woodwork in fury at his refusal to give it all up. She's just making pa comments about sahms instead which is giving him the rage. There's another one who was telling her office of male colleagues about how tights make her sweat the other day. Seriously, where do they make these people?!

Floggingmolly Thu 21-Apr-16 14:56:41

because 99% of people lead boring lives - they get their life excitement by living vicariously through others
Absolutely. How else could you explain the popularity of the likes of OK and Hello magazines? Their readership champing at the bit to read exclusives on nonentities like the cast of Big Brother and Towie. Instant "celebrities" because they've been on television...

lorelei9here Thu 21-Apr-16 15:24:15

Flying - that would do my head in. How has he not told her to naff off yet?!

I do realise that some of this happens because people are bored but I am slightly flummoxed that it's gone this far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now