AIBU about the cake fork?!

(56 Posts)
ProseccoPoppy Wed 20-Apr-16 21:54:37

I discovered this evening that DH thinks that although a spoon is "traditional", a cake fork is a suitable, indeed preferable, implement for eating sorbet hmm

I think there's a reason most people use a spoon like being able to get dessert into your mouth quicker grin and that cake forks are for, well, cake... (Shocking stuff this).

AIBU to wonder what kind of a sorbet forking freak man I'm married to?

RevoltingPeasant Wed 20-Apr-16 21:56:05

Ha, when I clicked on this the thread right below was suggesting that the death penalty should still be legal......

Therein lies your answer.

WizardOfToss Wed 20-Apr-16 21:58:10

LTB grin

ABetaDad1 Wed 20-Apr-16 21:58:26

Technically I believe correct etiquette is a fork and spoon for sorbet.

<unhelpful>

WhoKnowsWhereHerMajestyGoes Wed 20-Apr-16 21:59:38

"Fork ever, spoon never" is how you are supposed to eat puddings apparently.

ouryve Wed 20-Apr-16 22:00:07

I can see his logic - the cake fork would help to break it up a little, particularly if it's a bit on the firm side.

Uncoping Wed 20-Apr-16 22:00:14

I want to eat sorbet with a cake fork.

I think it could work, if the sorbet was fresh out the freezer and still relatively solid... Otherwise you'll run into all kinds of liquid-between-prongs problems.

AuntJane Wed 20-Apr-16 22:18:12

.... and while we're on the subject of sorbet - the word sorbet has an Arabic root, not French, so the final t should be pronounced. It is basically the same word as sherbet - so hands up who used to eat "sherbey fountains"?

Junosmum Wed 20-Apr-16 22:18:46

Tea spoon for sorbet and a cake fork for cake.

BadgersNadgers Wed 20-Apr-16 22:25:34

Does he use chopsticks for soup? Look at his Internet history, I bet he's into all kinds of cutlery perversion! Tip of the iceberg...

FeelingSmurfy Wed 20-Apr-16 22:26:08

Loads of fun when it's melting, can't scoop it up and what you have on your fork will drip everywhere on the way from bowl to mouth

Cake forks are known as fruit forks in this house though, perfect for fruit

CaptainSprinkles Wed 20-Apr-16 22:31:36

If I saw anyone eating sorbet with a cake fork I'd be a bit hmm

But I love spoons and use them whenever even vaguely appropriate.

Life's definitely too short to try to manoeuvre melty things onto a set of small prongs.

ProseccoPoppy Wed 20-Apr-16 22:47:39

Thanks all grin

Come to think of it Badger he is a bit of a chop stick fan (not with soup though yet). shock

See, it's the liquid/prong thing that gets me too (prong? tine? I think maybe it's tine not prong for a fork...easily distracted...) what if I have do something else mid sorbet? What if it melts - then I'd basically be whisking a fruity puddle (and that would make me sad).

Think I'm going to have to put this to the test (going off to rummage through the freezer)

ProseccoPoppy Wed 20-Apr-16 22:52:24

Now I'm worried that a sorbet fork is not the tip of the iceberg but gateway cutlery. A sorbet fork today but who knows where this could lead... Fish knives for viennetta?

And it turns out you can eat sorbet with a fork (but slowly confused)

CaptainSprinkles Wed 20-Apr-16 22:52:35

OP you're right it is tine not prong! This whole issue is really bugging me now confused

KeepOnPlodding Wed 20-Apr-16 22:55:29

How does he eat peas?

KeepOnPlodding Wed 20-Apr-16 22:56:48

Sorry, pressed 'post' too soon.

It just felt like an important question in this cutlery investigation.

Leeds2 Wed 20-Apr-16 22:59:57

I can't imagine eating sorbet with a cake fork. I think I would be laughed at if I did.

Ninjagogo Wed 20-Apr-16 23:11:21

Fork! Never! Little wooden spoon on a warm beach in Italy for freshly made Granita.....

Hiddlesnake Wed 20-Apr-16 23:11:30

I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny,
But keeps them on my knife.

ProseccoPoppy Wed 20-Apr-16 23:15:41

Peas with a fork Plod. And cake with a fork and fruit.... Maybe it's a fork thing weirdo or possibly laying the groundwork for a new (niche) way to wind up DMIL, as she once got disproportionately upset when he complained about the lack of cake forks at her house which he found hilarious wouldn't put it past him

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 20-Apr-16 23:26:27

Introduce him to my dd. Despite having both fork and spoon on her table, she eats 90% of her stuff with her fingers. Including sorbet. Gravy. Yoghurt. Mash. Water.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 20-Apr-16 23:27:07

Snake.

I remember that little poem!

akkakk Wed 20-Apr-16 23:47:19

Cake forks are just wrong full stop!

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Wed 20-Apr-16 23:59:18

I love a cake fork!

OP buy him a spork grin or L T B 😉

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now