to be scared?

(11 Posts)
WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 20-Apr-16 20:56:46

I think my landlord is probably being a that.

Due to a minor cock up with paperwork at job centre (them, not me)
My house benefit got suspended for a few days.
I have rectified the error. But I think he has issued me a sect 21 over their mistake.

Anything I can do?

Bailey101 Wed 20-Apr-16 21:20:16

How long overdue was the rent and are you now up to date? How long have you been in the property and how long is your lease for?

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 20-Apr-16 21:25:10

About a week late.
Yes, payment had gone out at the end of last week, including the missed week.
Been here 10 years.
Now on some kind of rolling tenancy. Not sure of details.
Payment to him comes direct from council. So it's not me being late...

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 20-Apr-16 21:26:16

Just noticed. He is being a TWAT not a that.
Sorry. Stupid phone.

Bailey101 Wed 20-Apr-16 21:31:18

If you're on a month to month contract, then he can give you 2 months notice for any reason.

The section 21 isn't an eviction notice though, it's basically him saying he wants his house back. If you don't move out at the end of the notice period, the landlord would need to get a court order in order to legally evict you. Refusing to move could buy you time, but it would ruin any chance of getting a decent reference and as you've lived there so long you wouldn't be able to prove a reliable renting history.

Have you spoken to the landlord and explained what happened? Has he actually issued a section 21 or just threatened it?

hefzi Wed 20-Apr-16 21:31:36

So if it goes direct from the council, presumably he knows it's not your fault- how would you even know that it was late? Have you any evidence to suggest he's Sec 21ing you - I mean, has he said anything/threatened etc? He might have been blowing off steam (has it ever happened before that the rent's been late from the council, for example?) but I doubt he'd go to the effort over a week late - he might bluster and threaten, but I would think it's better for him to have a tenant where he knows he's getting the rent (as it comes to him direct) rather than risk having the house empty, going to the trouble of finding a new tenant etc etc which will all end up costing him more money.

If, however, he's already done it: then yes, he is being a twat - and give Shelter a ring tomorrow. They are dead helpful with this sort of thing. flowers

SurroMummy13 Wed 20-Apr-16 21:52:48

Maybe speak to him face to face or at least over the phone?

He may not have issued that due to the rent. It may be because he wants the house back to rent elsewhere or sell on.

Speak to him

crazywriter Wed 20-Apr-16 22:04:26

With changes in for landlords now it could be that he's decided to seLlandudno because they're not going to be worth it. So the sect 21 could be nothing to do with the rent and more of just coincidental timing.

He may also want to put the rent up ano find someone else else. Or he may be worried that this with the council will happen again.

Could you speak to him about the rent cock up and find out if he's willing to let you stay? If you have been a good tenant up to that cock up it would seem like he is being a bit harsh if that is rhetoric reason. The only way you can really findon't out though is by asking.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 20-Apr-16 23:35:22

Thanks. Shelter first thing while dd is in nursery.

He does have form for using a 21 as a shout.

I think he has issued one but I haven't received it yet.

I am wondering if an apology from council might help?

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 20-Apr-16 23:39:25

He has quite a few houses, a small business.

The old man retired as landlord recently and his kids took over.

The old dude was far more relaxed. He would have knocking on the door and asked if I knew why the rent had stopped.

We would have exchanged any info we had and got it sorted. (He did give me a 21 to take to council to get them to sort out payments, many years ago)

But the new landlord. He doesn't live in our town. He seems a bit... dodgy? hmm

SurroMummy13 Thu 21-Apr-16 07:00:47

May be a good time to look elsewhere anyway?.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now