Implied Intelligence

(48 Posts)
wtfus3rnam3s Wed 20-Apr-16 18:17:21

AIBU to assume someone smartly dressed, eloquent and articulate (ergo: a good communicator) has a good intelligence level and is well educated?

If not, why not?

If yes, define well educated.

Am thinking of someone I know, I don't want to drip feed but withholding more information until later!

Arfarfanarf Wed 20-Apr-16 18:29:14

Define intelligence though.
Iq? Common sense? Emotional intelligence? General knowledge?

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 20-Apr-16 18:29:16

No I've had dealings with too many people who talk a good tale, but in reality don't know their arse from their elbow. I never assume anything.

Well educated to me means that someone knows enough to be aware of what they don't know.

SquidgeyMidgey Wed 20-Apr-16 18:45:13

'No I've had dealings with too many people who talk a good tale, but in reality don't know their arse from their elbow. I never assume anything.'

This entirely. Some people talk a good game but that's as far as it goes.

Dellarobia Wed 20-Apr-16 18:47:46

Your description makes me think of an estate agent or salesman - someone who is savvy and street-smart but not necessarily genuinely intelligent or well educated.

pinkcan Wed 20-Apr-16 18:54:03

Er what?

I came across a person whose father had made a generous (six figure) donation to a Russell Group university. In exchange for a) letting his thick and lazy son in and b) giving him some sort of degree. Following this "purchased" degree, this individual then got a job "via connections". The kind of job where you have a suit and communicate well (this lazy lad was very outgoing). Yes, I suppose people would think he was intelligent. He looks the part and talks the talk.

CaptainCrunch Wed 20-Apr-16 18:57:07

YABU. Making assumptions about a person's intelligence based on their accent and appearance makes you a bit of a dope I'm afraid.

araiba Wed 20-Apr-16 19:08:12

well educated- knowing the difference between imply and infer

Queenbean Wed 20-Apr-16 19:12:36

I know some very highly educated people with serious professional jobs who have zero smarts about them

So you just can't know for sure

What's the context of this?

readytorage Wed 20-Apr-16 19:14:39

tinkly hit the nail on the head.

To be educated is to be aware of what you don't know.

TiggerPiggerPoohBumWee Wed 20-Apr-16 19:15:51

I know some very highly educated people with serious professional jobs who have zero smarts about them

You don't get to be highly educated and hold down a serious professional job without some kind of "smarts" about you. Maybe not a type you value, but its not possible.

Articulate and eloquent implies a certain intelligence level, yes.

Queenbean Wed 20-Apr-16 19:19:41

Tigger

I disagree. I know lawyers, architects and actuaries who are seriously clever and well educated people but who, for example, don't have much common sense and lack practical skills. Ie, having no idea how to change a lightbulb or know that a boiler heats water (seriously!)

Some of these people also find it very difficult to judge certain situations and lack skills to interact with people

Perhaps part of it is such a serious logical brain but missing either emotional intelligence or practical sense - (the former a milder but similar version of Aspergers)

TiggerPiggerPoohBumWee Wed 20-Apr-16 19:23:41

I disagree. I know lawyers, architects and actuaries who are seriously clever and well educated people but who, for example, don't have much common sense and lack practical skills. Ie, having no idea how to change a lightbulb or know that a boiler heats water (seriously!)

Thats not disagreeing with me though is it? If they are "seriously clever" and well educated how can they also be unintelligent and have "zero smarts"? Nobody specified "common sense" or practical skills, the question was about intelligence, undefined.
You have disagreed with yourself with the above response.

Queenbean Wed 20-Apr-16 19:28:02

"Smarts" to me is being street smart or / common sense / being canny

I didn't say those people were unintelligent, I have repeatedly said they are seriously clever

WiIdfire Wed 20-Apr-16 19:29:42

It works the other way too. I usually wear jeans and t-shirt, don't have any branded clothing or bags, drive a basic car and enjoy a Disney movie, but I'm very intelligent and well educated. You just wouldn't necessarily know to look...

TiggerPiggerPoohBumWee Wed 20-Apr-16 19:32:09

I didn't say those people were unintelligent, I have repeatedly said they are seriously clever

Yes, but the QUESTION is about intelligence, not "street smarts", so you were answering the wrong question, and then disagreeing with me when I pointed that out.
You're trying to answer a question no-one asked.

TiggerPiggerPoohBumWee Wed 20-Apr-16 19:33:17

It works the other way too. I usually wear jeans and t-shirt, don't have any branded clothing or bags, drive a basic car and enjoy a Disney movie, but I'm very intelligent and well educated

Why would you imagine that branded bags and fancy cars is any kind of barometer of intelligence, to anyone? confused They are clearly a measure of cash, not IQ.

Queenbean Wed 20-Apr-16 19:35:12

You're trying to answer a question no-one asked.

How bloody rude are you. Plenty of people on plenty of threads "answer questions which haven't been asked". The op was deliberately vague and I gave my opinion.

If you don't like it, slot off and stop trying to correct me when I've explained my point quite clearly.

AuntJane Wed 20-Apr-16 19:37:14

I know a sufficient number of "educated" people to believe that education doesn't necessarily equate to intelligence.

GooseberryRoolz Wed 20-Apr-16 19:39:04

Yes YABU, if only for equating dress with intelligence, but also for conflating education with intelligence. It's quite a strange question all round TBH.

HopeClearwater Wed 20-Apr-16 19:41:03

What's that Dennis Skinner quote about an MP - 'the honourable number has been educated beyond his intelligence' ? Sums up the public school Establishment boys nicely.

sonjadog Wed 20-Apr-16 19:41:31

I think your original question is flawed because you are making an assumption that people with a high level of intelligence are also well-educated. They are two separate things. Highly intelligent people can have had little education, and people who have had access to a good education are not always highly intelligent.

HopeClearwater Wed 20-Apr-16 19:41:48

*member not number!!

KindDogsTail Wed 20-Apr-16 19:45:42

Good intelligence and good education are not the same. Someone could be well educated but less intelligent than a less well educated person who is super intelligent.

A good education could make a person well informed and well trained in how to do something though.

If a person's culture and or education have taught them good (grammatical) speech, as speech is full of logic, that is definitely a bonus towards intelligence but is not all there is by any means. Also the educational opportunity to learn an instrument in particular could make a person more intelligent I believe than they would have been otherwise.

There must be so many very intelligent people who have not had the education or opportunities to develop their faculties of thinking.

That does not mean that through someone who has gone to a very good school and seems intelligent is actually stupid though. Someone could be very intelligent and also very well educated.

Slowtrain2dawn Wed 20-Apr-16 19:45:51

YA probably BU
I fit your criteria but do not consider myself well educated because I don't have a degree.
I have one A level.
Or maybe that is well educated?
If so YANBU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now