AIBU to want to eat something that doesn't taste...

(19 Posts)
museumum Tue 19-Apr-16 20:25:13

.... of fucking lemon dishwasher tabs?!?!?

EVERYTHING tastes minging! I can't bare it.
Why is it so hard to find dishwasher tabs that don't taste of fake lemon!?

And why do I find the taste so overwhelming when DH (who bought them) claims not to taste it at all????

YvaineStormhold Tue 19-Apr-16 20:27:41

You're not pregnant are you?

museumum Tue 19-Apr-16 20:28:47

No. Definitely not.

mrsmugoo Tue 19-Apr-16 20:29:43

Is your dishwasher broken? Maybe it's not rinsing properly?

SqueegyBeckinheim Tue 19-Apr-16 20:30:16

You are so not being unreasonable, I have this too at the moment. I bought a huge feckin bag of them, it never occurred to me that the lemon scent would show up in food but it does. I even get the smell wafting out of the oven when I put a baking tray in there.

Thank god the bag is nearly empty. Mine are Fairy ones that were on special offer, I'm going back to non lemon supermarket own brand from now on.

PaulAnkaTheDog Tue 19-Apr-16 20:33:56

Never had this problem once and I use several different types of tablets. Get your dishwasher checked.

NeverTalksToStrangers Tue 19-Apr-16 20:33:59

I use the loose powder (like in the 80's)as none of the tablets ever fully dissolved in our machine. And i don't use liquid anything because i realised liquitabs were making my old washing machine smell manky. Switched back to powder and smell gone!

pearlylum Tue 19-Apr-16 20:37:51

I use value or smartprice tablets- very little smell. The posh tablets or capsules smell rank.

museumum Tue 19-Apr-16 21:22:49

Yes SqueegyBeckinheim - it was a big bag of fairy on special offer in sainsburys.
Thank goodness they're nearly finished.

Maybe the machine isn't rinsing properly but I have cleaned the filter and we used to get this with our previous machine before we moved house last summer too.

SquidgeyMidgey Tue 19-Apr-16 21:24:14

Are you running the quick cycle? I need to run 1hr+ cycles to shift the lemon.

Anniegetyourgun Tue 19-Apr-16 21:25:59

There's only one thing for it: rinse the bloody things by hand. Which is kind of missing the point of a dishwasher in the first place, really.

NoCapes Tue 19-Apr-16 21:26:59

It must be fairy, I get this with the washing up liquid too (never bought the dishwasher tabs) so I use morning fresh (lemon) and no smell or taste
I get finish dishwasher tabs, lemon ones and no smell/taste

So in conclusion (to my very scientific experiment) yes it's just fairy wink

PenguinsAreAce Tue 19-Apr-16 21:34:14

I never understood these things as an idea. The lemon tabs are supposed to make everything smell of lemon (otherwise what is the point?). In order to smell of lemon, there must be some residue on the plates etc. given that the vast majority of the sens of taste is actually mediated by the nose (I.e. Smell) then if you can smell it, logically it is likely you may taste it too. Ew. Yuck. Hate the rotten things.

monkeysox Tue 19-Apr-16 21:37:12

It's definitely fairy. We had that with the lemon tablets. I called them as toddlers cups tasted worst. They refunded me cost of packet.

SchnooSchnoo Tue 19-Apr-16 22:26:23

Try Ecover. They work fine as long as you do the standard wash rather the the super eco friendly programme!

Helloitsme88 Tue 19-Apr-16 23:37:32

Why would you want plates to smell of lemon?

Fozzleyplum Tue 19-Apr-16 23:45:37

The Aldi ones don't leave a taste, and I think they beat most of the brands in a Which trial.

whatdoIget Tue 19-Apr-16 23:54:35

I had the same problem with fairy. It's a bit of a design fault really isn't it?!

pinkcan Tue 19-Apr-16 23:59:49

I use finish power and pure. It is advertised as less chemical and also when the dishwasher is on, there are no smells like the lemon ones give out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now