too much emotional upheaval...

(10 Posts)
spica Tue 19-Apr-16 18:22:53

Knackered - F. is my new au-pair and has been with us since March. She is lovely, helpful kind - get on very well with her. Last week she fell ill, sore throat, swollen glands.... we brought her to the walk in centre and she was sent to hospital. obviously this was scary, but nothing was found and she was sent home on Sunday with antibiotics. Didn't get better by Monday (....) so she started to get very nervous and asked to go back to hospital, which we did today. ever since we arrived at 9am - 8 hours of emotional upset. Of course its not nice being in hospital, but she is so scared its almost not true.. And I'm not sure how best to deal with it? For example - when taking blood almost fainted. Cried at the suggestion to have the nurse look into her nose (with one of those little unpleasant pipes?). Found taking temperature in her ears painful?? Cried when nurse snipped her arm to get blood flowing? First diagnosis was...common cold. Second doctor mentioned tonsillitis....I mean, they are not exactly life-threatening? She is so scared its really painful to watch and I do feel sorry, as she is not playing up, she is genuinely very scared - but, honestly? When asked how painful on a scale of 1-10 taking blood was she said 8.......there are people there who have operations and she keeps shielding her eyes from them, as she cant see blood...I wish I could be more sympathetic, but cant help thinking she needs to get a grip?

IceMaiden73 Tue 19-Apr-16 18:24:40

How old is she?

Does she speak English?

Is this the first time she has been away from home?

spica Tue 19-Apr-16 18:28:04

21, no, has been in America before and is fluent -

spica Tue 19-Apr-16 18:31:18

sorry, answer a bit messy ;-) - she is 21 years old, fluent in English and has been to America before - she is an all-round good girl, just not very emotionally stable...if that makes sense. I mean, she get REALLY scared - my husband has stopped being involved because of the amount of crying. I always thought I'm quiet good with being a shoulder to cry on, but this flood honestly gets me...#

Witchend Tue 19-Apr-16 18:35:22

Well I am rather inclined to faint on sight of blood and almost certainly will faint during or after a blood test. I can't help it, and certainly wish I didn't. So she may not be able to help that.
BUt I wouldn't be hysterical with it. I'd be saying things like "I need to lie down before you take blood as I usually faint".
I think I'd be losing patience though from what you've said.

ComfortingKormaBalls Tue 19-Apr-16 18:40:41

Can she speak to her parents on the phone/skype - it may re-assure her and calm her down?

spica Tue 19-Apr-16 18:42:34

yes - agree its nothing she can do about...but this is basically my second day off work looking after her/ sorting out the childcare. And 2 days last week..... and on top emergency pick-up arrangements for my own kids.... Don't get me wrong, we once had an au-pair in hospital with a serious condition - of course we dropped everything till he was better. (you may wonder what I do to my au-pairs blush - ). But for a cold?

spica Tue 19-Apr-16 18:44:58

yes, lots of skyping/ phone calls - not sure if it helps? Her mum was great, btw - had a short call and she did mention that F gets very upset etc etc - which she clearly recognised herself! So I really don't want to blame her - I'm rubbish at ordering food on the phone (weird fear on my side) so always bully my husband to do it....hahaha...I guess we all have our problems and just need to stick together...

spica Tue 19-Apr-16 18:45:51

ahhh...feeling better already - probably just had to vent my frustration - once she is better it will all be lovely again ;-)

Twistedheartache Tue 19-Apr-16 19:22:08

Is she German?
I've found a lot of Germans only trust their own doctors including flying home when ill

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now