To complain to my next door neighbour who is a childminder

(11 Posts)
1mum2boys Tue 19-Apr-16 15:33:59

We are rarely at home before 6pm but even then sometimes is incredibly noisy. They have quite a few children who at times scream, cry, drag toys on the floor, etc. After a hard day at work and school it is really hard to deal with the noise. My children find it difficult to concentrate on their homework, I sometimes take work home (I am an accountant) and I find it very stressful to work when the noise levels are out of control.
Today I left work early being sick and I cannot even put my head down or feet up and feel better because the noise is just unbearable.
I had the urge to go over and complain so many times but I just think 'love your neighbours!!'
What can I do?

Millionprammiles Tue 19-Apr-16 16:22:11

There really isn't much you can do (assuming the CM has the appropriate licenses etc) - its the same as normal family noise (albeit a big family).
At least its only in the daytime, far worse to have students having late night parties IMO.

You could try installing sound proofing, perhaps ask the CM to share the cost? If windows/doors are open though that won't help much.
Are there rooms not adjoining the house/not overlooking the garden that you could use when you're working or the kids could use?

Ladycrazycat Tue 19-Apr-16 17:38:57

I think YABU, or you would wh to motion something, not to be irritated by it.

As the previous poster said, it can't really be worse than ordinary noise from a big family and it isn't at antisocial hours. It would probably irritate me as well though!

kslatts Tue 19-Apr-16 18:15:44

I think YABU to complain to the neighbour about noisy children during the day.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 19-Apr-16 18:17:22

Hang large rugs on your walls. Blocks out sound.

fiorentina Tue 19-Apr-16 18:19:52

Are they allowed to run a business from home? The covenants on our old house said we shouldn't. More modern properties may have this, however how enforceable it is may be up for debate?

In the interests of neighbourly relations you may not want to go down this route but you could ask for them to put down rugs on wooden floors and politely mention it's very noisy, they may not realise how bad it is?

GlitteryShoes Tue 19-Apr-16 18:22:52

My friend was a childminder and ended up with an ASBO over the children's noise! It didn't do a lot for neighbourly relations!

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 19-Apr-16 18:25:17

actually I think k she should he teaching the kids to be a bit more respectful and/or diciplining them.

you expect a few tantrums and babies cry sonetimes. bit things like making a massive racket when arriving or leaving and basically being ridiculously loud ( beyond imaging noises ) is a bit much tbh

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 19-Apr-16 19:02:11

Maybe it sounds as if the childminder has a lot of children there but there is a ratio of adults to children that she must adhere to. 3 children under 5yrs, or 6 children older than 5yrs.

I don't think it's unreasonable to draw her attention to the noise in a friendly, light hearted way but the last thing you want is a confrontation that results in a row so tread carefully.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Tue 19-Apr-16 19:05:24

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all and I would absolutely complain. Yes, she has a right to run her business but you also have the right to peace and quiet in your own home.

NickNacks Tue 19-Apr-16 19:07:46

I'm a cm and wouldn't mind you coming round to politely tell me it's a bit loud. When you're living it it can be hard to realise how loud it actually is, you do actually get used to it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now