to ask you how I should celebrate my 40th birthday?

(16 Posts)
bordellosboheme Sun 17-Apr-16 22:53:18

I will be 40 next February. I have 2 small DCs (4 years and 6 months). AIBU to ask you for ideas of how to celebrate it? I was thinking of interailing around Europe for a few weeks, but recent events in Paris etc., have rightly or wrongly put me off (especially as I would take DCs). My thoughts are a house party (daytime) or some kind of travel. If I did a house party how could I make it a bit interesting or special/different? Any ideas for trips UK/abroad with DCs. Obviously you are only 40 once. I've had an eventful life this far, and would like to celebrate making it thus far with sanity (mostly) intact.....

TheNaze73 Sun 17-Apr-16 23:23:46

I did 3 separate things for my 40th. I had a great night out with my friends, had a lovely meal with my partner, who I was with at the time & had a fab week with children in Dublin. Nothing as extravagant as your inter railing plans. I don't think you should put them plans off because of Paris.

FlyRussianUnicorn Mon 18-Apr-16 00:29:01

Look, the Paris thing is of course terrible. But by refusing to travel your playing straight into their hands. It could happen anywhere- i believe just this morning a suspected terroist was arrested at Manchester airport, so I imagine a lot closer to home than Paris. Unfortunately, i think a attack on the UK is highly likely.

fatmomma99 Mon 18-Apr-16 00:40:21

I had a big party for mine, which was lovely and everyone came.

It was a massive mistake and I wish I hadn't done it.

I had a friend who'd got a new baby (6 month old) and had travelled 3 hours to be there, so I spent masses of time with her because they were there with the condition they'd leave when the baby was tired. Baby was in a party mood and didn't drop off til 11, by which time loads of people (I REALLY care about) and I'd not spoken to had left.

If I had my time over again, I'd have done lots of SMALL groups, and then I'd have seen and talked to everyone I love and value. And could have done different things for each group - pub/restaurant/spa/something silly, etc.

When I'm 50....

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Mon 18-Apr-16 07:44:58

My mum took me and dcs to the zoo for my 40th. We had a picnic.
And we had takeaway for tea.
Low-key but different. I loved it. We all did.

bordellosboheme Mon 18-Apr-16 11:05:27

Thanks for all these ideas. I'm making a mental note of them all!

Fly, I'm no stranger to terrorism. I was in New York on 9/11 near ground zero when it happened. I've travelled all over the place, from Saudi, to India to Morocco. It's just a very different world now. Especially when you have children and babies in tow. I still want to travel though......

BarbaraofSeville Mon 18-Apr-16 11:26:39

Is this your last chance to travel outside school holidays before your eldest starts school? Any time/work/budgetary constraints?

Are you hoping to do it on your birthday? A lot of mainland Europe will be cold then. That would put me off, but it would be great to do later in the year. Fear of terrorism shouldn't put you off - the chance of being in the wrong place at the wrong time is so vanishingly small. You have a much higher chance of being in a road accident etc.

But I'm not sure that travelling and young children is the same as doing it as adults alone. They are too young to appreciate all the sights and culture etc.

Garden party in the summer for friends and family would be good if you have the space.

whois Mon 18-Apr-16 11:28:32

PARTY! I love a good house party and everyone seems to come out and make the effort for 40ths.

Is your house suitable for hosting a big one? Get in loads of nice food, loads of champagne, something like a close work magician if you can afford it.

whois Mon 18-Apr-16 11:29:25

Garden party in the summer for friends and family would be good if you have the space.

Don;t put it off till the summer. Do a house party close to your actual birthday.

MadSprocker Mon 18-Apr-16 11:32:53

I had different things over the year. I had a big party on my birthday, with seeing family the day after, went to see Benedict Cumberbatch in Hamlet. I just used it as any excuse to treat myself smile
I, personally, would find travelling around Europe with two small children a nightmare, but I take the kitchen sink with me when I go away for the weekend. How about a holiday with a beach somewhere? I know that is where my children were happiest on holiday (north Norfolk) wearing wellies on cold days and digging in the sand. You could pick somewhere sunnier.

StepintotheLightleave Mon 18-Apr-16 11:38:03

Op I totally get you dont want to go inter railing in the current climate with your DC too boot!

Hardly relaxing even if you did relax once on it!

If not interrailing what about hotel with good child care?

bordellosboheme Mon 18-Apr-16 12:27:41

I like the idea of a magician.... I was thinking also of a band? I have lots of musical friends! We've just had the loft converted as a chill out room, so our house could take a medium sized party...

I like the idea of using the 40th year as an excuse to treat yourself! I really fancy an oil range cooker. I would have to put it on the mortgage, as I wouldn't be able to afford it outright, but I've been wanting one for years.... Or is this too extravagant do you think?

HackerFucker22 Mon 18-Apr-16 12:36:20

Our kids will be older by the time we turn 40 (8 & 6) so we're going on a fuck off holiday of a lifetime only for a week as I wont want to leave them for longer than that

bordellosboheme Mon 18-Apr-16 20:55:10

I love the idea of a warm / beachy holiday. Any idea where might be warm enough to go Jan / Feb time that would be child friendly?

MadSprocker Mon 18-Apr-16 21:01:29

The places that spring to mind are the Canary Islands, Gran Canaria, Tenerife, Fuertraventura, Lanzarote. I literally used any excuse as I wanted to celebrate being 40, rather than hide from it. We also had a holiday of a lifetime in the Spring to Florida, which was amazing. We are now saving up for DH 40th in 3 years time.

catbally Mon 18-Apr-16 21:02:46

What would you like to do? DH organised a surprise trip for mine that I loved. I would have hated a big surprise party type thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now