Help! vegan and vegetarian buffet lunch items

(34 Posts)
RosieSW Sun 17-Apr-16 22:09:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SouthWesterlyWinds Sun 17-Apr-16 22:14:05

Bagels. My vegans friend swears by them.

Olives, flafafel , red pepper homous, nuts and couscous can make a lovely salad on the side if you can make it up in takeaway boxes for a lunchbox. You can buy 6 for £1 in pound land.

Jaimx86 Sun 17-Apr-16 22:16:07

I've always found the 'vegan' list of food sold at Tesco really useful. m.tesco.com/mt/un-tt-media/http%253A%252F%252Frealfood%2Etesco%2Ecom%252Fmedia%252Fdocs%252FVegan-Header-December-201541-d2dbb283-703a-4ff1-8b4c-16832ec81ed3-0%2Epdf/Vegan-Header-December-201541-d2dbb283-703a-4ff1-8b4c-16832ec81ed3-0.pdf

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 17-Apr-16 22:16:32

I'm a veggie I love to see wraps at buffets- roasted veg with homous or with soft cheese. Cous Cous salad is always nice.
Nice dips with crudités and tortillas.

ghostyslovesheep Sun 17-Apr-16 22:16:40

bulgur wheat and med veg salad with coriander and lemon

LaContessaDiPlump Sun 17-Apr-16 22:16:40

RIGHT <rubs hands>

Hummus, obv, alone and in sandwiches.
Use Pure spread for sandwiches.
Carrots, celery, peppers - not sliced too thin.
Crisps - salt and vinegar, salted, chili flavour maybe (check ingredients for added milk)
Waldorf salad without any cheesy/dairy element, perhaps?
Linda McCartney range are good and some items are vegan too (need oven cooking first; find in freezer section)
Cheap biscuits are often vegan (as are oreos and chocolate bourbons)
Offer cheese on the side
Fruit!

Titsalinabumsquash Sun 17-Apr-16 22:17:24

Stuffed vine leaves are lovely smile

Jaimx86 Sun 17-Apr-16 22:19:04

As you can see, a range of ideas just on one page of that list

RosieSW Sun 17-Apr-16 22:22:10

BarbaraofSeville Sun 17-Apr-16 22:25:50

Do you know the percentage of vegetarians and vegans?

In any case it is not necessary to provide any meat but if you do make sure it is separate and labelled.

Remember that non vegetarians will want the vegetarian and vegan food too so make sure there is plenty of it.

Carrot, hummus and falafel wraps are my favourite vegan food and I am not even vegetarian.

RosieSW Sun 17-Apr-16 22:27:58

RaeSkywalker Sun 17-Apr-16 22:32:18

Hummus with pitta bread or carrot and cucumber sticks to dip in. Cous cous is a great option, and how about a tomato-based pasta salad (would not be vegan if pasta had egg in it obviously). Bean-based salads can also be nice.

OldCrowMedicineShow Sun 17-Apr-16 22:34:04

Tesco have just brought out their own vegan sausage rolls and they are very good.
Yes, bagels make a nice change but there is also a tomato and olive flat bread which is gorgeous especially with extra garlic on top.

London mix in the International food area is vegan.

Heartbroken4 Sun 17-Apr-16 22:35:24

A lot of Indian food is vegetarian (and vegan if you pick carefully). Samosas, panoramic ...

Heartbroken4 Sun 17-Apr-16 22:35:40

*pakora

RosieSW Sun 17-Apr-16 22:40:00

MadamDeathstare Sun 17-Apr-16 22:40:17

Vegetable samosas could be vegan depending on the fat used to make the pastry covering.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 17-Apr-16 22:40:32

I'm a vegetarian (not a vegan) but I'm a complex one (you don't want to invite me, honestly)

I would echo the idea to label things, the number of times I'm standing in a queue and I have to guess (or get someone to try something ) to see what's in it.

You can get egg free mayonaisse (I bought Dairy Free/GF croissants. Heaven knows what was in them given that croissants are butter and flour based but the ingrediants list was long. They weren't worth it sad )

I like rice salads , easier to eat than couscous (and I don't eat wheat)
Hummous (there are loads of flavoured ones too)
Sainsburys had some delicious vegan snacks -falafel type
Jars of roast veg / deli counter. Red pepper, artichokes, olives

Samosas
Spring rolls

RosieSW Sun 17-Apr-16 22:49:15

RosieSW Sun 17-Apr-16 23:06:18

RosieSW Sun 17-Apr-16 23:14:42

caroldecker Sun 17-Apr-16 23:16:02

You can make the vast majority of these the night before, not just starting at 6.
Also consider gluten free - should be everything except the sandwiches, but check before you label.

Whatthefucknameisntalreadytake Sun 17-Apr-16 23:20:35

Potato salad with dairy free Mayo or oil

MeadowHay Sun 17-Apr-16 23:27:15

Nobody has mentioned fruit yet, fruit salad?
I'm getting hungry reading this (I'm vegetarian).
I had a salad that was mostly fennel once, that was nice and interesting.
Yogurts for vegetarians but you would have to check first they are suitable for veggies.
Same with cheeses, you could put cheese in sandwiches, or have a cheese board, as long as you checked that the cheeses were suitable for vegetarians. Could have them with crackers (are crackers vegan? Don't know).
Chips/wedges with dips/sauces.

potatoscowls Mon 18-Apr-16 00:00:39

look in the frozen vegetarian section at tesco, you can get a big bag of vegan sausage rolls (tesco own-brand).
also they do falafel
you can also get vegan mayo/salad cream in the free-from cupboard section, and Violife vegan cheese slices in the chilled free-from section. you could grab some soya fromage frais as well.
Bagels and hummus
samosas/spring rolls/bhajis
Jus-Rol croissants, pain au chocolat and cinnamon rolls are vegan

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now