to wonder when the SNP will ever learn that you don't close gaps by trying to help everyone?

(9 Posts)
LouLouLockets Sun 17-Apr-16 19:01:37

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/17/nicola-sturgeon-to-provide-free-baby-box-to-new-parents-scotland

Baby boxes are the next thing apparently.

I would not have needed a baby box. I would not have wanted a baby box. I am lucky enough to be in the situation where I can choose exactly what I wanted for my baby.

This is such a waste of money, along with free school meals for all and uni fees paid for everyone.

LouLouLockets Sun 17-Apr-16 19:03:03

From the Guardian

'The SNP said the boxes, which are designed to be immediately converted into a cot for newborns, would cost about £100 each, but would not disclose at this stage how much the policy was expected to cost, or whether it was specifically targeted at parents from the poorest backgrounds.

With Scotland’s infant death rate now down to 0.37%, Sturgeon indicated the baby box strategy was chiefly part of a wider policy to tackle infant deprivation, support poorer mothers and improve Scotland’s relatively bad rates of under-attainment in deprived areas."

How will providing middle class mothers with £100 worth of crap help deprived children?!

Euphemia Sun 17-Apr-16 19:05:21

I agree. Likewise prescription medicines.

My school can't afford to buy jotters. The council is talking about closing several recycling centres, or charging people per visit.

Put the Council Tax up, increase taxes for the better-off and put an end to this nonsense.

LouLouLockets Sun 17-Apr-16 19:11:18

I'm actually really annoyed by this.

I would be the first one to support a scheme to provide practical help to struggling mothers and fathers.

Middle class children do not need the government to buy them toys.

BabyDubsEverywhere Sun 17-Apr-16 19:17:47

Don't they do this in Sweden or somewhere like that? I really can't see the point, what a waste of money. Who wants their baby to sleep in a cardboard box?!

LouLouLockets Sun 17-Apr-16 19:32:19

Finland.

I wish they would bloody well take note of how much tax Finnish people pay.

seasidesally Sun 17-Apr-16 19:36:37

why can Scotland afford to do this and also uni fee's,perscriptions etc and the UK dosent

ASAS Sun 17-Apr-16 19:42:20

God in Govan but that wee boy can't get DMD meds?

Get these swines out.

LouLouLockets Sun 17-Apr-16 19:45:34

Exactly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now