To have a "first kareoke" instead of a "first dance"

(37 Posts)
Bubbles1986 Fri 15-Apr-16 21:46:02

So our wedding is less than a month away and we have been agonising over the first dance as both of us feel so self conscious dancing. We do however love to sing (were not amazing but significantly better than dancing). Providing the venue will let us have mikes (and it would have to be over the actual song including lyrics -I'm yours Jason mraz) is this a stupid idea or a good one? Oh and I know a first dance isn't obligatory but guests are expecting something so might as well put in a show

RonaldMcDonald Fri 15-Apr-16 21:54:50

Please don't do this

Yabu

Floggingmolly Fri 15-Apr-16 21:56:52

The guests may be expecting something, but they sure as hell won't be expecting that. Don't.

Bubbles1986 Fri 15-Apr-16 21:57:34

Haha OK, particular reason why Ronald?

Bubbles1986 Fri 15-Apr-16 21:58:58

Fair enough unanimous decision :-) no kareoke

FeelingSmurfy Fri 15-Apr-16 21:59:20

It's your wedding, if it feels right just go for it smile

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 15-Apr-16 21:59:31

Phew.

BMW6 Fri 15-Apr-16 22:00:09

Well, it's your day so whatever floats your boat......... but personally I'd find it a bit cringeworthy to witness, sorry. Something amusing would be OKish IMO, but not lovey-dovey.

NotQuiteJustYet Fri 15-Apr-16 22:01:04

Your wedding is your wedding - do what makes you and your future-DH happy!

DH and I were also similarly shitting ourselves about our first dance, we're not the outgoing sorts and our tastes in music don't lend themselves easily to the typical first dance.

Our solution - we kept it completely quiet until the DJ announced our first dance, promptly followed by telling everyone to put down their drinks and get up. Our entire reception joined us in dancing to 'Starlight' by Muse, and it was absolutely fantastic - the photo's are hilarious, especially of DGP's attempting to dance along.

NicknameUsed Fri 15-Apr-16 22:01:57

God, I loathe karaoke. If an evening wedding reception started doing karaoke I would make my excuses and leave.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 15-Apr-16 22:02:15

i'd be taking bets on divorce within three years if I was at a wedding with any of the following

novelty wedding photos
a choreographed first dance (including ushers/best men/bridesmaids I'd reduce it to 12 months)
a singing B&G
or that ridiculous cake face nonsense they seem to like in USA

dearie me

Just pick a tune, take his hand and place it on your arse and smooch across the dance floor.

chipsandpeas Fri 15-Apr-16 22:03:11

id love to see this, even if u were shit at singing....

Bubbles1986 Fri 15-Apr-16 22:03:12

I wouldn't say its a lovey dovey song but it fine were back to truly terrible dancing... And I mean terrible. I get dizzy really easily and have painful feet, he steps on them which makes it worse and we move to an entirely different beat.... Much alcohol will be needed grin

Bubbles1986 Fri 15-Apr-16 22:05:20

Tondelay- you would lose that best, 9 years, 2 kids, very much in love.

What a weird thing to say that any of those things you mentioned indicate that there is trouble in the marriage

Bubbles1986 Fri 15-Apr-16 22:06:01

Although actually I agree re choreographed dance haha

ChablisTyrant Fri 15-Apr-16 22:06:56

We did! It was funny (I think)!!! And still married 7 years later.

Great choice of song...

CakeNinja Fri 15-Apr-16 22:07:15

NOOOO!!
Please no! Don't do this, I'm cringing at the thought!

Weddings we have been to, the B&G dance together for the first verse then the ushers (presumably instructed by B&G) start getting everyone on to the dance floor - perhaps 40 seconds of awkward dancing compared to 4 minutes of all your guests wanting to die of embarrassment - it's a no brainer surely grin
Saying that, it's your fucking wedding, so if it's what you really want to do, and are prepared for the gentle piss taking you'll get forever more, go for it!

Bubbles1986 Fri 15-Apr-16 22:09:03

Its OK its completely off the table now grin

DinosaursRoar Fri 15-Apr-16 22:11:00

It's a bit.... Peter Andre and Katie Price.

Just shuffle around a bit the two of you, then prep your best man to ask the bridesmaid to dance and your dad to ask his mum, his Dad to ask your mum to dance, get them to join you after the first chorus of your dance, so it's only really 1/3 of a dance you do alone - once the family have joined, most other couples will start joining too.

Bubbles1986 Fri 15-Apr-16 22:13:32

Ummm sadly dinosaur none of that works. My mum and dad divorces, his mum and dad dead, his brothers single and I have no bridesmaids. There is literally 3 couples who could maybe dance along with us and I think that would look even wierder lol

Smartiepants79 Fri 15-Apr-16 22:18:51

Thank god, I find karaoke tacky and cringe at the best of times!
That said however, it is your wedding so if it suits you....
I would only consider it if I could actually sing mind you.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 15-Apr-16 22:20:17

We didn't have a first dance. Actually I'd been married to dh for over 8 years before I even saw him dance a step.

MarkRuffaloCrumble Fri 15-Apr-16 22:41:50

aw! Do the karaoke! Especially if everyone has had a couple of drinks first, it will be fun. XH and I had karaoke at our wedding as we didn't want a disco. Everyone was a bit tipsy, only a few of us actually sung (I started a song for XH just as he wandered out of the room so didn't hear it!) and anyone who didn't want to hear it went to the bar.

Ignore the haterz and sing your hearts out, there are plenty more cringey things in this world than a couple who can actually sing doing a little wedding duet.

NicknameUsed Fri 15-Apr-16 22:52:28

Why even bother with a first dance or anything like that? It isn't an old tradition s far as I know. Just do what makes you comfortable, and if dancing doesn't do this then don't dance (or karaoke).

TiffanyAtBreakfast Fri 15-Apr-16 23:55:06

DH and I can't dance for toffee. Our first 'dance' was to 'I've got you under my skin' by Sinatra, and all we did was sway and canoodle / smile like giddy teenagers at each other for a few bars of the song. Then when the big band section started everyone naturally just started dancing along as well. No awkwardness at all, I recommend it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now