To ignore bailiff

(136 Posts)
Thebrowntrout Fri 15-Apr-16 19:31:32

Anyone got any experience of this, I have bailiffs coming round for unpaid council tax and I don't owe it.

I'm waiting for it to be referred back to council, does anyone know how long this normally takes?

SavoyCabbage Fri 15-Apr-16 19:35:25

Can you not just provide some proof that you don't owe it to them?

londonrach Fri 15-Apr-16 19:36:34

Show your passport if not your debt. If your debt dont ignore this.

AliceInUnderpants Fri 15-Apr-16 19:37:10

Is the debt in your name? Who is referring it back to the council?

OwlofMinerva Fri 15-Apr-16 19:39:02

Whatever you do, do not let them in the house! Do not leave any doors or windows unlocked as they can make a peaceful entry, but they can't force entry. Tell them you are in dispute over the bill. Remember, no matter what they say they CAN'T FORCE ENTRY. If they try to then call the police.

hejsvejs Fri 15-Apr-16 19:39:23

Just tell them it's not your debt.

PegsPigs Fri 15-Apr-16 19:40:19

How has it got to the baliff stage if you don't owe it? Is there a contact at the council you can make aware of the imminent baliff visit?

RaspberryOverload Fri 15-Apr-16 19:41:01

If your phone has the capability, record your conversation where you tell them the debt is in dispute/not yours.

Thebrowntrout Fri 15-Apr-16 19:44:01

Thanks for your replies.

I haven't had a conversation with them. The council messed up years ago and so while I am willing to pay original debt I am not willing to pay the bailiff fees. This has been going on for over a year now.

Got a letter the other day telling me to pay up or they will refer it back to the council which is good and what I want. Just wondering how much longer it might take.

DownstairsMixUp Fri 15-Apr-16 19:44:26

If it's not yours just tell them that. They can't come in if you don't say who you are, their powers are limited anyway, they can't force entry or anything nowadays. They might want to see Id i suppose.

Thebrowntrout Fri 15-Apr-16 19:46:33

I know Downstairs but you can 'just tell' a bailiff anything and it's unpleasant living a life where I can't park my car outside my own home.

Buckinbronco Fri 15-Apr-16 19:47:00

Email the council and tell them you will pay them the original amount directly and that's the end of it. Detail why. If it's their mistake they won't be able to enforce anything via bailiffs anyway because you'll be able to tell the court the same.
In terms of how long it'll take without contact, who knows? Depends on the bailiff and council.

Don't know why anyone would do anything to prove to a bailiff a debt isn't theirs though as advised above. I wouldn't show a bailiff ID in a million years

Jujuheyhey Fri 15-Apr-16 19:48:53

Get help from a local debt adviser. I don't know where you live but I do this work and we deal with issues like this all the time. Try local CAB or ring National Debtline/Money Advice Service.

AliceInUnderpants Fri 15-Apr-16 19:49:11

You are willing to pay the original amount, and told them so a year ago? So how is it at this stage now? Have you been making agreed payments?

Thebrowntrout Fri 15-Apr-16 19:50:29

Yeah I've spoken to CAB who have said to just keep them out.

Alice, I owed originally £80 which is now nearly s thousand pounds.

I will pay £80 to the council. The bailiffs are getting nothing.

Jujuheyhey Fri 15-Apr-16 19:51:26

Oh, and Buckinbronco, if it's gone to bailiffs it's already been to court so OP won't be able to defend it now.

Buckinbronco Fri 15-Apr-16 19:53:50

Not necessarily- if the bailiffs had a court order they're could've forced entry so I wonder if it's just been turned over to a collection agency which for £80 it might. I have dealt with bailiffs for unpaid council tax which hasn't gone to court.

londonrach Fri 15-Apr-16 19:53:52

Not sure it works like that op as costs have been added to the original £80 especially if its been to court. How old is the debt and why not settled before. You need to talk to cab and the council! Can you do that tomorrow.

witsender Fri 15-Apr-16 19:55:46

Sadly you do owe it. What have the council said?

Thebrowntrout Fri 15-Apr-16 19:56:00

I have spoken to the CAB smile

The council don't listen: just say it's with the bailiffs now.

According to the CAB it's just waiting it out. Just hope it ends sooner rather than later. It's all got a bit ridiculous.

Thebrowntrout Fri 15-Apr-16 19:56:29

I owe the £80, nothing else.

Tequilamockinbird Fri 15-Apr-16 19:56:46

Don't wait for the bailiffs to refer it back to the council, ring the council with your debit card handy to pay what you owe, or go to their offices and pay them there.

AliceInUnderpants Fri 15-Apr-16 19:57:28

Jeezo, how did it get from £80 to £1k? How old is the debt and why didn't you pay it when it was due, or when it was first requested?

Thebrowntrout Fri 15-Apr-16 19:58:03

It doesn't work like that Tequila if it did I'd have paid it sixteen months ago.

AndYourBirdCanSing Fri 15-Apr-16 19:58:04

I didn't think they could force entry for council tax, it just eventually gets deferred back to the council again?

It must be awful for you OP, what a nightmare

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now