To wish that people told us more about how situations end

(9 Posts)
SabineUndine Fri 15-Apr-16 19:29:56

Some of the stories here, I always want to say 'Yes? And did you till him/her to fuck off? And did they?' We rarely hear.

SavoyCabbage Fri 15-Apr-16 19:39:22

No I don't really. I see it more as talking rather than reading a book if you see what I mean.

And anyway, real life isn't beat and tidy like a soap. I don't think people should feel as if they have to finish the story.

Itinerary Fri 15-Apr-16 20:09:01

YANBU. If people take the time to read, listen, advise and make suggestions, then of course it's nice if someone comes back to thank them and let them know if the situation is resolved.

SharingMichelle Fri 15-Apr-16 20:24:54

I quite wanted to post the conclusion to a boring post about an H&M skirt i did a few weeks back. .. but them i decided that no one cared!

DropYourSword Sat 16-Apr-16 06:09:01

Depends entirely on the situation. Daft ear syringing thread (now in classics) absolutely needed a conclusion. For serious / emotive ones where people are reaching out for help then I'd say absolutely no expectation for updates. It's peoples real lives, not soap opera for our entertainment.

WellErrr Sat 16-Apr-16 06:26:43

They're not 'stories,' they're people's lives.

No one owes you an ending.

coffeeisnectar Sat 16-Apr-16 06:31:37

I did drag up an old thread of mine to post an update which a few people responded on but it was only about my DD not getting a uni place she had applied for but then getting a different offer. I'd had so much lovely support and advice so I thought it was fair to let people know that we'd taken that advice on board and used it to get her an offer elsewhere.

Other situations are rarely so simple to update. Thing is people are living their lives and often dealing with stressful situations which can drag on for months. While some people use MN as a place to vent regularly while going through that (and so update on their situation regularly) others probably find it too much to go over and will want to just keep it to themselves.

londonrach Sat 16-Apr-16 08:38:17

This is real life and sadly its not as cut and dry as soaps, there are a few id love to know the ending. Peoples lives are busy and sometimes theres no solution...

Queenbean Sat 16-Apr-16 08:43:54

Slightly different but it is so annoying if someone posts a thread saying (for example) where can I get this skirt, then everyone piles in to help them find it and they don't bloody come back to say thank you. I find it so rude! I think if people are giving you help and advice, even if you don't tell them what route you took at least say thank you for taking the time to do son

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now