To stop my medication?

(4 Posts)
Hedgehog80 Fri 15-Apr-16 13:36:50

I have been unwell for about two years, fatigue, aches, cold all the time, brain fog, constipation and feeling generally terrible on a daily basis.

I was found to have an elevated TSH level and that plus my symptoms led my GP to diagnose under active thyroid I was told I'd need mediation and to see her again for another blood test then we would go ahead.

I then got a call saying one of the senior partners said actually Iam 'sub clinical' so they won't prescribe. They told me to wait a year and be retested?? I feel awful

I saw an endocrinologist privately who did more tests and it turns out I have Hashimotos. She wrote to GP and I started Levothyroxine.

The NHS cut off point for 'normal' is 5.0 currently on medication I am 4.8 and still feeling rubbish. I have to pay for all my prescriptions privately. AIBU to want to stop for a bit and let my TSH level go above 5.0? I know it'll make me feel even worse but I want to see an NHS endocrinologist and get my prescriptions?

cjt110 Fri 15-Apr-16 13:38:58

You have my sympathies Hedgehog as I have an underactive thyroid and a vague knowledge of Hamshimotos

I would just ask for regular blood tests. I know when I feel tired etc and feel my thyroid could be to bame, I can just ask my GP for a blood card. Perhaps ask for one every 2-3 months.

I wouldnt risk not taking your thyroxine as it can be dangerous.

Hedgehog80 Fri 15-Apr-16 13:42:46

The GP just say it's 'fine' as below 5.0 ......but I have symptoms and antibodies and have to pay to see a private doctor and get private prescriptions

They said unless it's over 5.0 they won't treat but I feel that if I could go a couple of weeks without then go to the GP it would definitely be over 5.0

Hedgehog80 Fri 15-Apr-16 13:43:39

The thought of not taking it and feeling worse is worrying though so I'll probably just keep going. It's just really frustrating

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now