to allow myself to think i might actually pass?

(29 Posts)
VelvetSpoon Thu 14-Apr-16 08:51:13

My driving test that is.

I'm mid 40s. Had (and failed) several tests in my teens, then gave up. Have never tried since, and built my life around not driving - I live in the London suburbs so public transport is excellent, I can literally get anywhere by bus/ train, and am not the sort to ask for lifts everywhere.

Anyway, after much nagging persuasion by my bf, I have restarted lessons. My test is a few weeks away.

Ever since I failed my last test, 25 years ago, I've just viewed it as I can't drive. That I'd never be good enough to pass my test. But now I'm starting to think we'll, maybe I can. And imagine myself driving (I already have my own car etc). Then i think we'll maybe i shouldn't get too confident. I'm not much better than i was 25 years ago and i couldn't pass then. And every lesson i make mistakes, stall it or am in the wrong gear. So should I think about passing or am i just getting my hopes up unnecessarily?

VelvetSpoon Thu 14-Apr-16 08:52:34

Sorry, the we'll should be well. Bloody autocorrect!

memyselfandaye Thu 14-Apr-16 09:00:55

You will pass! The point of lessons is to make mistakes, then learn from them.

I started lessons at 17 and gave up so many times, at the age of 31 I started again and passed at the 2nd attempt.

I'm 41 now and its the best thing I ever did.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 14-Apr-16 09:02:38

You most definitely can pass! I passed my test last week, and I'm so glad I finally did it (I'm 32).

Be confident, don't panic and good luck smile

MorticiaLiverish Thu 14-Apr-16 09:04:13

Of course you can do it, your instructor would never put you in for your test if they didn't think you had a chance of passing.

VelvetSpoon Thu 14-Apr-16 09:10:18

Technically he didn't put me in for the test. I booked it and then started lessons. He thinks I've got a 70-80% chance of passing.

Saying that the instructor i had at 17 said I'd definitely pass, every time, and I just got so nervous i went to pieces. I can address a room of 200 people which doesn't worry me at all, but just thinking about my test makes me feel sick.

dingalong Thu 14-Apr-16 09:13:18

I was like you. I think it comes more naturally to some people, but I got there, with the help of a great instructor and the feeling I got when I passed was amazing (pre kids 😄)

I was the same with breastfeeding too - wanders off wondering if there is any scientific link😄

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 14-Apr-16 09:46:07

I don't know how long ago the test changed, but now you only do the one manouvre and it literally lasts 38 mins including the show me tell me bit!

I was sooooo nervous before mine, my legs were like jelly and I felt so sick, but the examiner was so nice and we nattered the whole time, it flew by.

If you can, practice as much as possible between lessons, more for experience of other drivers than your own. I credit passing first time to this, because I drove so much (basically everywhere we went) I wasn't phased by others driving twattishly in rush hour as I anticipated it knowing what that road, roundabout etc is like at that time of day.

You'll be absolutely fine,and if you fail, it's not the end of the world, just try again! My sister took 6 attempts to pass but is ab excellent driver. It will be a good experience even if you do fail, it will mean you are less nervous for the next one and will more than likely pass that one smile

HellonHeels Thu 14-Apr-16 11:17:39

I think you can do it!

You will feel wonderful when you've done it. My friend passed last year (age in 40s) she was sick with anxiety and scared in run up to the test but did it. Good luck!

ClopySow Thu 14-Apr-16 11:23:20

Hypnotherapy for exam nerves.

I tried driving in my 20's. I was a great driver, but like you my nerves won on test day and i went to pieces. Failed twice, never went back.

I'm going to start lessons again. I'm 41. I don't feel scared about it. I had hypnotherapy because i kept going to pieces in college exams. I got A's after hypno.

Antanddec123 Thu 14-Apr-16 11:26:23

^
This

massivearse Thu 14-Apr-16 11:30:32

Course you will. Any loon can drive. God knows how a lot of drivers out there got through their test.

You'll coast this. Enjoy.

airside Thu 14-Apr-16 11:30:52

Tell the examiner you are nervous and ask him to be extra clear with directions.

If you feel more confident then you will do better too.

VelvetSpoon Thu 14-Apr-16 12:13:42

I've never been nervous about any exam (always a bit of a swot and find it really easy to learn facts, so sailed through them all. The driving test is practical though and that's the difference).

I only get to practice in my own car about once a week, as theres only my bf who can take me out in it. hopefully will get to do some practice at the weekend.

I just really want to pass (doesn't everyone though!)

VelvetSpoon Thu 14-Apr-16 12:17:46

Sorry meant to thank everyone for wishing me luck/ saying I'll pass. Bloody hope so. It will change my life. But having completely arranged my whole life around not driving, it feels like it might not happen, and I shouldn't count my chickens sad

Pancakeflipper Thu 14-Apr-16 12:18:40

You will pass.
And if you don't pass this time - you go again and you go again and you keep on going. You will do it. And it is soooooo worth it.

And you eat a banana before every test because in MN folklore this makes you pass.

dingalong Thu 14-Apr-16 18:06:30

I was so nervous on my first test - I told him the car was broken (foot on accelerator and nothing happened) - he replied that I needed to put it in gear - the shame. It went downhill from there 😄 But I've passed

dingalong Thu 14-Apr-16 18:06:55

Not that time (obviously)

dingalong Thu 14-Apr-16 18:07:41

Good luck too 👍

TimeOfGlass Thu 14-Apr-16 18:11:01

Yes, you can pass. And even if you don't pass this time, you can learn from the experience, get more practice, and pass next time, or the time after.

It took me 3 goes to pass my driving test.

Amy214 Thu 14-Apr-16 18:32:34

Keep trying until you pass! Good luck, i sat my test in the morning rather than at the end of the test day. I heard that they are more likely to fail you since they need to fail someone and your the last one so they get VERY picky. In my experience they were more impatient in the afternoon whereas in the morning they were relaxed. Could just be a rumour.

VelvetSpoon Thu 14-Apr-16 19:28:08

Mine is mid morning.

I've got until August as that's when my theory test runs out. If the worst happens i should get another test or 2 in before then. If i can't pass in 6 - these 3 plus the 3 i had as a teen - I shall probably give up. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Maisy313 Thu 14-Apr-16 20:11:07

I passed my test 4 weeks after giving birth to my second child (he was born on the day of the original test!) so couldn't sit it. But I got an automatic license and it was so much easier!

You will pass when you're ready. I think it is a skill worth pursuing,even if, like yourself , you can get about without driving. Once you have a driving license, it's yours forever (mostly) and you can drive in an emergency.

Good luck!

(never heard of the pre-test banana before)

pictish Thu 14-Apr-16 20:22:55

I passed my test two years ago aged 39. It took me five goes to get that fucker in the bag.

Now driving is truly second nature. So glad I persevered.

DO IT

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now