At what age should a child start ironing?

(559 Posts)
Boogers Wed 13-Apr-16 19:13:09

H and I had a big argument last night about the things that DS(12) can and can't do. I said DS should be learning how to iron by now, to which H strongly disagreed.

I remember ironing my dad's hankerchiefs when I was about 7 or 8, and when I was about 12 or 13 I was ironing my school uniform on a Sunday evening (in autumn it was 5 shirts, 3 box pleated skirts, 1 blazer, in summer it was 5 dresses and 1 blazer).

DS had no issues with co-ordination or ability to sense hot and cold, there is no reason why he can't learn to use an iron. H says that he and his brother never ironed when they were younger (his brother is 40 and has never ironed in his life; his parents, my in-laws, do it all for him).

Who is being unreasonable here, me or H? Should I encourage DS to learn how to iron?

Mumandmummer Wed 13-Apr-16 19:13:45

I'm 30 and I've not started ironing yet.

Maryz Wed 13-Apr-16 19:15:31

Never.

Ironing is an outdated skill, and the real important skill nowadays is to learn to buy only non-iron clothes grin

I taught mine to iron at the age of 8 for their cub/brownie badges, so they can iron in theory.

moggiek Wed 13-Apr-16 19:16:07

YANBU. Time for him to learn.

pointythings Wed 13-Apr-16 19:16:51

Never. Ironing is a voluntary activity for obsessed people, not a life skill. I have no intention whatsoever of teaching my DDs to iron, and they are 13 and 15. Life is too short.

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 13-Apr-16 19:17:27

His future wife or husband will thank you for it.

Its good to learn chores.

GreenMarkerPen Wed 13-Apr-16 19:18:53

never
ironing is totally pointless imo.
but if they want to wear ironed clothes 10 is a good age to start learning.

Ameliablue Wed 13-Apr-16 19:19:42

Yanbu
Even if you don't iron often it is still useful for certain things.

CMOTDibbler Wed 13-Apr-16 19:19:55

My ds is 9 and does pillow cases, simple garments, and is learning to do shirts currently.

We don't do a lot of ironing, but its important to learn.

Dutchess61 Wed 13-Apr-16 19:20:06

I taught my DS at 12. I also hate ironing but look like a sack of shit in creases.

YokoUhOh Wed 13-Apr-16 19:20:20

I never iron. It is completely pointless wife work. Irons give me the heebie-jeebies with 3 yo DS running around: they're extremely dangerous. Encourage him to buy non-iron shirts, or take them to the dry cleaner.

RobotMenu Wed 13-Apr-16 19:20:28

shock

I never iron. Pointless.

whattheseithakasmean Wed 13-Apr-16 19:20:31

Never. I don't iron. I agree with Maryz I have taught my DDs how to crumple a corner of an item in a shop to check if it will need ironing - a far more useful life skill.

OddBoots Wed 13-Apr-16 19:21:17

We don't iron much, only pillow cases (just a habit for probably flawed hygiene reasons) and shirts but my DC started doing their own aged about 10 - around the time they moved up from Cubs to Scouts. They have never had an injury but I did have to fold away the board for them when they first started as it has a bit of a knack.

sonjadog Wed 13-Apr-16 19:22:23

I learnt in my mid-teens, I think. But that was 30 years ago and fabrics have changed a lot since then. I maybe iron something once a year now. I don't think it is an essential lifeskill like it once was. Does anyone use hankies that need ironed any more?

Oysterbabe Wed 13-Apr-16 19:22:36

I haven't learnt yet. I'm 35.

Jenijena Wed 13-Apr-16 19:23:18

His mother had boys, and sadly this attitude of not teaching sons to do basic tasks (also includes changing sheets on bed, cleaning a toilet) seems common in a certain generation of Mothers Of Boys.

I rarely iron, but you need to know how to, and 12 is plenty old enough to learn...

DaisyAdair Wed 13-Apr-16 19:23:25

I think my son was 10 when he started ironing his school uniform.

Not iron? How can they look smart for work?

OneMagnumisneverenough Wed 13-Apr-16 19:23:45

My two boys started when they started high school. Shirts first year and trousers the next. If you can do both those things you can do anything. YANBU. it's a skill for life no reason for them not to learn and 12 is old enough. I used to earn pocket money by doing my older siblings stuff for them for nights out. And that was in the days of massive flares.

pointythings Wed 13-Apr-16 19:24:05

sonja hankies? Virus factories. Boak. Catch it, kill it, bin it.

JosieGrossie Wed 13-Apr-16 19:24:34

I don't own an iron! If his clothes need to be ironed, I see no problem for a 12 year old to learn how to do it.

Twooter Wed 13-Apr-16 19:24:45

I think it's the right age. I taught my dd1 when she was off sick from school aged about 9. Very rarely does it but at least she knows how to.

WonkoTheSane42 Wed 13-Apr-16 19:25:21

Never. Ironing can fuck off.

OneMagnumisneverenough Wed 13-Apr-16 19:25:46

And they've changed their own beds since they were very young. They can run a Hoover too but I'm ashamed that they don't do a lot more and they probably should.

BarbarianMum Wed 13-Apr-16 19:26:30

Mine will be learning just before they start secondary so they can iron their own uniforms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now