to stand up for myself?

(14 Posts)
AuntieMeemz Tue 12-Apr-16 20:46:24

i started a new job administering. The place is chaotic, and I simply can't do my work, I spend all day answering the door (on my job description, but it means if I start something, I'm interrupted, taken away from my desk every 2 or 3 minutes) and running messages for staff who don't/won't/can't pick up the phones. The needs of the children always come first, which means I never get my work done.
Now the management and HR complain that I'm confused (Manager has no time to spend with me, interferes with my work when I'm not there, books people in without telling me etc), slow learning the job, and needing help. they said I should ask them if I need help, but when I do, they are arsey with me.

I said I need time to get on with my work, but they say that is the role.
I can't afford to leave this job. I left my last job because they said I was too slow.
I have told them all the issues, but they are still saying I'm too slow. I've kept a day book, and shown them exactly where my time goes, but they say I should be able to manage it. Manager says 'I need you here, there etc' Head Office say why isn't x y z done? The last 2 people in 2 years have left this job, so it's not just me.

What can I say in response to their complaint? I'm already doing lots of research, and 'revising' at home, and preparing for the next day.

Sandbrook Tue 12-Apr-16 20:47:58

That all sounds very stressful!
Are you getting your breaks?

AuntieMeemz Tue 12-Apr-16 20:54:15

No, I'm not entitled to breaks as I only work 5 hours. It's during the very busiest part of the day too. I'm on the go for the whole 5 hours absolutely non stop, with very little time to do what Head Office are expecting me to do. The rest of the day is much quieter, after I've gone.
It feels like the rest of the staff think I'm just there to do whatever needs doing, that they can't do!

FlyRussianUnicorn Tue 12-Apr-16 22:03:41

Thats wrong Auntie. Your entitled to a break of 15 minutes every 4 hours. I only work 4.5 hours a day sometimes but still get my break- its the law.

So you need to point that out to them before anything else

SalemSaberhagen Tue 12-Apr-16 22:10:56

No fly, it's 20 minutes for 6 hours plus. You aren't legally entitled to anything below that.

MeDownSouth Tue 12-Apr-16 22:17:48

Sorry Fly, it used to be that but it changed, it's now 20mins for every 6hrs like Salem said sad

FlyRussianUnicorn Tue 12-Apr-16 22:20:28

My bad. Ignore that OP.

YANBU though. If your last job had concerns- do you know if they mentioned this on a reference at all?

AuntieMeemz Tue 12-Apr-16 22:23:28

I told them on my health questionnaire of my slight learning disability, and my possible slowness in some situations. Will this protect me if they don't give me the job at the end of my probation?

AuntieMeemz Tue 12-Apr-16 22:26:54

FlyRussianUnicorn Don't think my last job would have mentioned their concerns, they only gave the basics.

FlyRussianUnicorn Tue 12-Apr-16 22:41:38

You have no rights legally unless you have been working there for a set amount of time. Again- I may be wrong, but i believe its 2 years.

You need to have a word with your boss.

Tiredbutfuckingfine Tue 12-Apr-16 22:47:06

You don't need to have worked there for any time at all to be protected by the Equalities Act in relation to protected characteristics (disability, gender, age, race etc).
However having a disability will only "protect" you in as much as they have a duty to make reasonable adjustments, and if they do not, you can then (pay up to approx £1200) to lodge an employment tribunal claim.
Have yountried saying no to the staff asking for all of these little jobs?

AuntieMeemz Tue 12-Apr-16 22:53:59

I'm so glad for all your thoughts,
Tired, I have discussed it with the manager, and saying 'no' but they all insist that what they have asked for is necessary and urgent. The manager always seems to be 'busy' somewhere out of sight, don't know what that is all about.Every time there is a phone call for her, I'm supposed to find her, and waste ages every day doing so.

RubbleBubble00 Tue 12-Apr-16 23:02:36

Are you working in a school?

AuntieMeemz Wed 13-Apr-16 21:26:12

It's a preschool Rubble.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now