AIBU - white wooden floor?

(22 Posts)
Fizzielove Sat 09-Apr-16 22:51:48

Have just put up this mural in DDs bedroom and I was thinking of putting a white wooden floor, but DH thinks it'll be cold underfoot! I told him not to be daft! AIBU? Or is he?

BrioLover Sat 09-Apr-16 23:08:36

We have just put in a pine floor in our living room - definitely not cold underfoot. However it is real, solid wood.

We had laminate (quite expensive so not the shitty student housing type) in our precious flat and that was cold underfoot.

ThisWasCrownjewel Sat 09-Apr-16 23:11:44

We have white wood laminate (the posh stuff) in DS bedroom - never been cold underfoot and looks bloody brilliant - did spend a small fortune on decent under-stuff for it though, which has probably helped with the warmth aspect.

MadamDeathstare Sun 10-Apr-16 04:57:35

We have hardwood floors downstairs in our house. They are not particularly cold. It will be hard for sitting or lying on though, if she plays in her room, so it might be an idea to get rugs or some beanbag chairs for her to sit on.

CallarMorvern Sun 10-Apr-16 07:09:26

Wood is fine. But white less so, especially if you are painting it. We have white painted boards in one bedroom, you'd be surprised how much dust gathers on a bedroom floor and every hair or speck shows up. Also even the slightest gap in the boards looks horribly obvious.
We have dark brown/black painted boards in the lounge, looks fab, but we've had to make sure all gaps are filled, especially the one under the skirting. There's also a rug, so we can lie in front of the fire.

BathshebaDarkstone Sun 10-Apr-16 07:13:15

Wood isn't cold to stand on, we have it throughout.

SouthDownsSunshine Sun 10-Apr-16 07:14:11

I had white wooden floors in a previous bedroom and loved it. I'd really recommend getting a cream rather than bright white though, as it shows everything!

oliviaclottedcream Sun 10-Apr-16 08:55:11

Agree.. Lovely mural by the way OP. The only thing is, white floors are a sod to keep clean. Even if they take their shoes off all the time, they seem to show dust like no other colour. If you're taking your old floorboards up, you could insulate..

Fizzielove Sun 10-Apr-16 11:21:58

Thanks everyone! They wood I'm looking at is like an antique white so you see the grain quite a bit so it's not all one colour IYSWIM? I saw gorgeous high shine stuff but reckoned it would be a nightmare to keep clean!

thiswascrownjewel what type of underlay did you get? And where?

airside Sun 10-Apr-16 12:46:42

Green carpet to continue the grass in the picture.
I've got white floorboards in the bathroom. It is cold and not particularly nice to stand on barefoot unless the heating's been on for a while.

Fizzielove Sun 10-Apr-16 12:58:38

DH suggested green carpet to continue the grass, than paint grass bits on the skirting board! I dunno tho might be a bit much?

wonderpants Sun 10-Apr-16 13:05:18

We have white laminate in all the bedrooms. It shows every bit of fluff, hair and dirt. But otherwise great!

emilybrontescorset Sun 10-Apr-16 13:13:41

I would not have White, not unless you adore cleaning.

MitzyLeFrouf Sun 10-Apr-16 14:57:06

I think white floors look a bit institutional.

MinecraftyMum Sun 10-Apr-16 15:10:07

I really like the idea of green carpet and then painting the grass up the skirting boards.

I would have bitten your right arm off for a room like that when I was little! You'd have to be careful to match the carpet/mural grass/painted grass colours though. But I would go for that.

CosyNook Sun 10-Apr-16 15:18:05

I have white tiles in the bathroom and it shows every pubic hair, head hair, dust and bits I'd rather not identify shock

Fizzielove Sun 10-Apr-16 15:22:36

Right it's been decided then that DH is the winner with grass green carpet and painted skirting board! I'll update in a few weeks time and let you all see the finished room!

flanjabelle Sun 10-Apr-16 15:29:07

Ooh yes please to the update! <saddo emoticon>

FuckSanta Sun 10-Apr-16 16:42:13

Can I start the betting as to how long this is going to let before needing changing for the sake of everybody's sanity?

I'll start with 2.25 years.

ThisWasCrownjewel Sun 10-Apr-16 22:42:40

I'll ask DH re the type of underlay - I can remember being shock when he told me how he'd spent on it, so I don't think he'd forget the name of it in a hurry!
BTW I meant to say in my previous post, the mural is gorgeous!

ThisWasCrownjewel Sun 10-Apr-16 22:55:24

I think it was this stuff:

www.airluxe.co.uk/61/114/airluxe-carpet-underlay/p-easyflow-prince-laminate-wood-rubber-underlay

SaucyJack Sun 10-Apr-16 22:57:04

The mural is very cute.... but kids' tastes in toys change far quicker than most people change their flooring, so it'd be much better to get a neutral colour that'll go with next years Hello Kitty or Monster High theme IMO.

It's nice tho. My youngest would love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now