To want to spend my evenings redecorating?

(14 Posts)
Believeitornot Sat 09-Apr-16 18:21:51

We've just moved house and I'm not feeling settled at all. I'm itching to get stuff done - hang up curtain poles, repainting, cleaning etc etc etc.

However dh has suggested we watch a film tonight and when I said I'd rather redecorate, I don't think he was particularly impressed grin

However I feel so edgy as all I can see around me is evidence of the previous owners - it doesn't feel like home at all!

I will admit, I am a bit kamakaze when it comes to these things and will start a million things at once (yes I will finish them) as opposed to tackling one thing at a time. I've already redecorated one bedroom (we've been here a month) and that doesn't feel enough.

Anyway just wanted to check, is this normal? Do I need to chill out more....

(I will watch a film this evening, as it will be nice and have half an eye on Pinterest at the same time!)

EveryoneElsie Sat 09-Apr-16 18:23:49

I did that. It drove the rest of the family nuts. I just said to them that I didnt expect them to join in but I couldnt not do it.
I did most of the preparation and they realised they were onto a good thing. grin

EatShitDerek Sat 09-Apr-16 18:25:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Believeitornot Sat 09-Apr-16 18:41:36

I've suggested to dh I stay at home while he takes the DCs to the ILs for the afternoon....

Now, how much painting can I do in that time...? grin

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sat 09-Apr-16 18:44:38

I fucking love decorating.

I was in the garden at 5.30am today painting a picnic bench.

Go for it!!

MizK Sat 09-Apr-16 18:50:17

I can't relax if there is something I really want to get done. Redecorate and you will sleep far more soundly tonight than if you had vegged on the sofa!

Moreisnnogedag Sat 09-Apr-16 18:53:51

Definitely spend time on Pinterest - it'll generate a million ideas and might improve what you get rather than doing it now. My dh knows now that it counts as researchsmile

Lulu1083 Sat 09-Apr-16 19:01:08

Do it!

I've just had flooring delivered for dds room, which is third in line to be done after my kitchen and bathroom... In my defence it was on sale grin

BarbaraofSeville Sat 09-Apr-16 19:23:50

Voice of descent - have a relaxing evening watching a film with your DH.

I fucking hate decorating. All the decorating lovers are welcome round mine any time, but the cleaning obsessives will need to come first as there needs to be a deep clean before any decorating can take place.

Believeitornot Sat 09-Apr-16 20:21:22

Well nothing happening so far as trying to wrestle the DCs to bed hmm

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Sat 09-Apr-16 20:23:11

Don't put children to bed.

shock

Give them wet wipes and get them cleaning skirting boards really for decorating.

BackforGood Sat 09-Apr-16 20:25:41

YANBU if that is what you like to do, and nor is your dh BU to want to sit and relax.

YwouldBbeingU if you are expecting him to decorate too.

thecatsarecrazy Sat 09-Apr-16 22:36:37

Oh I'm like that. Dh In no hurry to do anything. I redecorated bathroom one night til the early hours when my children were small.

QuadrupleL Sat 09-Apr-16 22:41:24

When we moved into our first house, we exchanged, left all our stuff (TBH not very much!) at in laws and decorated the entire house in 2 days! Not sure we will ever be able to do that again lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now