Aibu about matching kitchenware?

(7 Posts)
Curviest Sat 09-Apr-16 06:40:58

One of my pet hates is unmatching cutlery, crockery and cooks' knives. I feel it makes the place look like a downmarket jumble sale. Recently, I had a huge clear-out and got rid of everything that wasn't part of my quality, smart, matching sets. (This pained me because some things were really pretty, and some were gifts, but aesthetics won.) Then I got a new lodger, and she has filled the empty spaces I created with a hotch-potch of ugly, mismatched items, worse than the ones I've just got rid of! I asked her to use the sets provided, but she insists on having her own items. She refuses to keep them in her bedroom, as it's inconvenient (I agree, it is). I know it sounds petty, and, believe me, I do feel silly, but seeing my drawer and cupboards resemble a charity shop bric-a-brac shelf genuinely grates on my nerves. AIBU?

Roddas Sat 09-Apr-16 06:43:10

YANBU

Ditch all her stuff & take it to the charity shop, whilst you are there buy all your stuff back grin

araiba Sat 09-Apr-16 06:48:59

you choose your cutlery or you have a lodger. your choice

CheshireDing Sat 09-Apr-16 06:52:30

I guess she is lodging and paying rent so as long as she is clean/nice person etc I would let it go. It won't be forever, although I do understand where you are coming from.

Just think of the money instead from her rent smile

trinity0097 Sat 09-Apr-16 06:54:27

Can you not free up a couple of cupboards and a drawer just for the lodger's stuff?

Janecc Sat 09-Apr-16 06:54:56

Yabu. She's paying you rent and unless she's being extremely inconsiderate, stuff like hogging the bathroom, being rude, messy or overly noisy, she has the right be able to enjoy her tenancy in peace. I'm a landlady of property. I know the rights of tenants in that setting and the same should apply in your home. I do understand why you are upset but unless you had a formal agreement that she would use your stuff exclusively, she has every right to make herself at home. I could well imagine another poster complaining that a tenant had no stuff and used all of their crockery/ cutlery/ cookware.

Spandexpants007 Sat 09-Apr-16 06:56:04

The boring matching set brings you joy. Her eclectic mix brings her joy. You both have the right to store study in the kitchen.

I go out of my way to have an interesting mix mash of antique kitchen ware. All the different patterns, textures, colours, shapes and materials are fun and attractive together. Most were inherited from family/friends as gifts or sought out in vintage markets.

Is your whole house matching op? Are your pants and bra matching op? Do all your towels match?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now