To champion the return of the "housecoat";?

(254 Posts)
LadyTrevelyan Fri 08-Apr-16 23:25:57

My Grandma and Auntie B.both removed their coats when getting home and then put on their housecoat - a bit like Mrs Overall. I swore I would never wear such a thing but...

So practical and has pockets to pick up bits and pieces and, also, keeps my shoulders warm. I picked up mine from a charity shop.

I am single and I don't think this is related.smile

TheSpottedZebra Fri 08-Apr-16 23:28:10

But surely if you wear your coat inside, you won't feel the benefit ?

LadyTrevelyan Fri 08-Apr-16 23:28:27

Should say this is a springtime notion as my house is freezing so I do have a "winter housecoat". Very warm.

Kummerspeck Fri 08-Apr-16 23:28:50

Ooh yes, my aunties wore housecoats, brilliant idea. They are as comfy as a dressing gown but you don't look like a slut if you are wearing one in the middle of the day!

LadyTrevelyan Fri 08-Apr-16 23:30:12

I always feel the benefit of a coat but have many differing warmth ratings.

Chillyegg Fri 08-Apr-16 23:30:33

Isn't it the same concept as house lounge wear/goodies etc? I think yanbu I have clothes for just in the house and I'm getting a bit obsessed with compiling lots of comfy clothes.

ZenNudist Fri 08-Apr-16 23:30:50

I called my dressing gown a housecoat as a child. That's what my grandma called it.

I still often wear my fleece robe over clothes in the morning or when I want to snuggle on the sofa in my track suit!

Chillyegg Fri 08-Apr-16 23:30:57

That should read hoodies

It depends, do you remove your bra before putting on a housecoat? If not, I'm sticking with my pjs...

Clare1971 Fri 08-Apr-16 23:32:22

Am finding it hard to visualise. Do you mean overalls? Can I have a picture. I already have a head scarf for cleaning in and am considering a pinny...

MrsBungle Fri 08-Apr-16 23:32:34

I have a fleecy zip up jumper I adourn once I enter the house - well, once I am in for the evening. It has zip pockets and the word "active" emblazoned on it which is hilarious as I am rarely active when wearing it I feel it is a modern housecoat.

JeffyJeffington Fri 08-Apr-16 23:35:19

The concept is new to me but I already want one. Can you provide a link to a suggested supplier? I like the look of the paisley number in this link http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-features/TMG8406978/Ask-Hilary-Find-a-replacement-for-my-wifes-beloved-housecoat.html but can't access the website!

YolandiFuckinVisser Fri 08-Apr-16 23:37:12

My mum's 'housecoat' was what I would call a 'dressing-gown' which is what I wear exclusively for going down for a wee after getting naked for bed or between bath and bed. Having said that, my housecoat/dressing-gown is 25 years old & has lost its belt so not fit for receiving visitors in.

trufflesnout Fri 08-Apr-16 23:40:17

you won't feel the benefit

are you my grandma?

Nospringflower Fri 08-Apr-16 23:42:34

I think this is one...

YouTheCat Fri 08-Apr-16 23:42:50

My 21 year old dd lives in her she has about 5 dressing gown whether she has actual ordinary clothes on or not. She would definitely be in the market for a housecoat á la Margot from the Good Life.

StayAChild Fri 08-Apr-16 23:43:05

Is it quilted?

SealSong Fri 08-Apr-16 23:43:06

The housecoat is one of the most practical garments ever. They -
- keep your clothes clean when you are doing chores at home
- If someone comes to the front door you can whip it off in a jiffy revealing your clean clothes underneath
- They have big pockets in which to put useful things such as your glasses and fags
- They are usually nylon so easy to launder
- They keep you warm

If only they weren't so totally fugly. My Granny swore by hers. That and her hairnet. And her little see through plastic rain bonnet.

I have not seen anyone in one since around 1974

LadyTrevelyan Fri 08-Apr-16 23:44:40

I gave up bras a while ago and love vests.

Jeff That looks a bit too fancy shock, although I am coming round to itgrin.

Lucked Fri 08-Apr-16 23:44:47

My kids are constantly messing up my clothes which is annoying if you are planning to go out or are expecting visitors. I was watching Shirley Valentine the other day and she wore a housecoat over her clothes and I did think that it would be useful.

ExpandingRoundTheMiddle Fri 08-Apr-16 23:46:28

Oh dear. I'm sure there was a heated thread about the definition of housecoat a few years back. Some right thinking posters knew that a housecoat is a thin long sleeved button up polyester garment with a collar and patch pockets not unlike a lab coat or grocer's coat but in quick dry non iron fabric. Other foolish muddled posters were labouring under the misapprehension that a housecoat was a rather tacky and impractical fire risk of a padded dressing gown.grin

BlackeyedSusan Fri 08-Apr-16 23:46:50

I used to have one in about 1974... but it was mothers word for a dressing gown. confused

averylongtimeago Fri 08-Apr-16 23:48:04

I had a housecoat when I first got married in the '70s. It was not a dressing gown, an entirely separate thing. It was a sort of tunic which buttoned up the front, had big pockets and was in a fetching Brown and white check, made of nylon or polyester.
The 70s, the decade taste forgot.
You wear a housecoat over your clothes, like an all round apron.

ShesAGreatGas Fri 08-Apr-16 23:48:24

I get into my PJs as soon as humanly possible after walking through the door. I also rarely get dresses on a Sunday (shower and change into 'loungewear' ie. tracksuit or onesie)

My granny definitely wouldn't approve. I can hear her voice now: 'Midday and not a soul in the house dressed <tut tut>'

ExpandingRoundTheMiddle Fri 08-Apr-16 23:48:25

And then they got started on pinnies and it all went poof! But YY to the (proper) housecoat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now