To ask if 10 year old girls should be wearing 2- 3 inch stilettos

(55 Posts)
coffeeisnectar Fri 08-Apr-16 19:16:38

Just that really.

A friend of mine has posted photos on her fb of her DD trying on strappy sandals in a shop today and they are so high her feet are pointed right down.

Would you put these on your DD at that age? I feel quite uncomfortable with this because it seems that it's a bit too 'old' for a 10 year old but also wonder at the damage it could cause to growing feet.

Quite prepared to be told I am an old fuddy duddy and should 'get with the times' but I won't be buying my DD shoes like that any time soon!

Sirzy Fri 08-Apr-16 19:18:53

They aren't that high really, I wouldn't do them for day to day wear but for a special occasion I wouldn't have an issue as long as they can walk ok in them

VenusInFauxFurs Fri 08-Apr-16 19:21:43

Is she just trying them on in a 'dressing up' way rather than actually planning to purchase them? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

Narp Fri 08-Apr-16 19:22:26

Was she planning to buy them?

I'd be surprised, even if she was a ballroom dancer

Birdsgottafly Fri 08-Apr-16 19:23:08

Is she buying them, or just letting her try them?

It would be the damage done to growing feet, that I object to.

I used to totter about in my Mums shoes, in the 70's, she had small feet and I can ramen being allowed to wear them on a special occasion.

FirstWeTakeManhattan Fri 08-Apr-16 19:23:16

I don't think a 10 year old in 3 inch stilettos is a great look, no.

wtffgs Fri 08-Apr-16 19:23:17

God no! Twisted/broken ankles! Over-sexualisation of children, useless for playing .... take your pick.

I hate the "what's the harm?" argument. It can do physical harm to children. There's years and years to come when older girls and teens can teeter around. Mind you, "pamper parties" for 10 year olds make me vom too.

Hulababy Fri 08-Apr-16 19:25:04

Picture of the shoes (i.e. link to similar online, not actual photo of the child)???

DD had some small heels at that age - but they were very much for one off type occasions and they weren't stiletto style at all.

Excited101 Fri 08-Apr-16 19:27:48

Not a chance!

PalcumTowder Fri 08-Apr-16 19:30:33

I saw a toddler in 1 inch heels today. 1 inch is quite high when your feet are only 3 inches long! I did judge, I'm ashamed to admit.

Technoremix Fri 08-Apr-16 19:30:59

No, a 10yo in heels is weird unless they are at a dancing competition.

MadamDeathstare Fri 08-Apr-16 19:32:22

You are not a fuddy duddy. Poorly designed shoes with a steep incline and very pointed toes are great for leading to bunions and distorted toes, particularly in children who are still growing. They force all the weight down onto the toes.

I told my children that when they are 18 I will buy them the most ridiculous pair of stripper heels going, but I'll only buy them flat or very slightly inclined shoes up until then. They usually choose ballet flats and show little interest in the high heels as it happens. Ballet flats being fashionable now helps a lot.

Twooter Fri 08-Apr-16 19:32:59

Although Brantano seem to think there's nothing wrong with heels - try getting party shoes there for a six year old without heels..

Ameliablue Fri 08-Apr-16 19:33:39

I wouldn't allow my 10 year old to actually walk about in such shoes but she has tried them on in a shop for a bit of fun.

AppleSetsSail Fri 08-Apr-16 19:34:18

No normal person thinks it's OK for a 10 year old to be in stilettos. A little girl trying on shoes alongside her mother is harmless fun, my boys used to try on whatever I did when I took them shoe shopping as little kids, cue peals of laughter.

coffeeisnectar Fri 08-Apr-16 19:34:58

www.matalan.co.uk/womens/footwear/s2621199/strappy-sandals

similar to these. And yes, buying them. She has several pairs of heels.

My 10 year old has a pair of school shoes with a 1/2 inch heel which she can only just walk in. I can't imagine her in these, she'd break her neck.

coffeeisnectar Fri 08-Apr-16 19:37:46

just looked again and they are the actual shoes.

4 and 1/2 inch heels

Hulababy Fri 08-Apr-16 19:39:52

I wouldn't have bought DD those style at 10y, no. Too high, too thin, too grown up.

DD could and can walk in heels, much better than I can. But I wouldn't have bought her shoes like that at age 10y.

DD had some this kind of style when younger than 10y - original pair for a dance class, second pair when she was a bridesmaid. 1 inch heel. www.topline-ballroom.com/productpage.php?product=308&name=

At 10y she had some heels, a bit higher - no more than 2 inch though, and much chunkier than the ones linked to above.

Sirzy Fri 08-Apr-16 19:40:44

4.5 inches is very different to 2!

AppleSetsSail Fri 08-Apr-16 19:41:57

Are we distinguishing between 1. trying on shoes in a shop and 2. owning them?

coffeeisnectar Fri 08-Apr-16 19:42:56

I love those shoes hulababy they are lovely. And a chunky heel, not a spiky one!

I agree sirzy but from the photo I was guessing until someone asked to see the shoes and I looked them up and realised they are actually twice the height I thought.

Katedotness1963 Fri 08-Apr-16 19:44:01

2" heel? Fine for ten years old.

4 1/2? I'd break my ankle on that! Seems high for a primary school child.

Of course, I have boys so what do I know?

Ericaequites Fri 08-Apr-16 19:44:46

Except possibly for ballroom dancing, no ten year old should even be allowed to try on heels. Dancing in flats or wearing flats to a wedding is perfectly appropriate for a child under sixteen. Girls are encourage into silly, misogynic behavior far too early.

ouryve Fri 08-Apr-16 19:45:06

No. I hate it for exactly the reasons you posted.

Though I don't see the point of high heels for anyone, to be honest? If a precedent hadn't been set and some bright spark said "tell you what, let's design shoes for women that have high heels so they're harder to walk on and put stress and strain on feet, knees and backs in all the wrong places." they would probably be sneered at and regarded with the exact same bafflement as the practice of using rings to elongate one's neck.

coffeeisnectar Fri 08-Apr-16 19:45:43

Owning them apple.

She has a fair few pairs of heels. These are the latest.

I was just wondering if I was 'behind the times' and depriving my own DD by not buying them but it just feels wrong to me and I'm still trying to keep her as a little girl rather than a mini teenager/adult.

We are away at the weekend and I bought her a new dress, scarf and little bag plus a pair of flat shoes which are pretty but still rather young compared to something like this. I know DD would love 'grown up' shoes but I feel 10 is so young that if I bought them now, what's she going to want when she's 13? 15? Tattoos?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now