to make Dd sit on the floor

(23 Posts)
RavioliOnToast Fri 08-Apr-16 17:45:26

My dd(4) has been running along the sofa and ignoring everything I say about not standing on the furniture, we are moving soon and need to sell this 3 piece and it's only 18months old. She's been climbing over the arms and standing on the back cushions. I just absolutely lost my shit and screamed at her to get down and that she had to sit on the floor (on the rug) or on a stool. She's going mad now saying I'm a rubbish mam. Aibu to actually not let her on the settee for the remainder of the evening?

FattyNinjaOwl Fri 08-Apr-16 17:48:56

Yanbu. I would explain that you know you got angry and shouted and you are sorry if that upset her but she cannot behave that way. That she will sit on the floor until she learns to respect your property. She wouldn't like it if you ran all over something g of hers, it would make her sad, so she can't do it to your things.

SawdustInMyHair Fri 08-Apr-16 17:53:03

Losing your shit is never ideal, but YANBU to say that if she can't treat furniture the way you expect her to, then she can't use it.

Children are perfectly capable of sitting on the floor anyway - I had to do it whenever my aunties came round until I was about 15.

Grilledaubergines Fri 08-Apr-16 17:57:07

YANBU. At 4, she's able to understand that what's she's doing is naughty.

RavioliOnToast Fri 08-Apr-16 17:59:31

I've apologised but said she still can't sit on the sofa and that we'll try again tomorrow. Bloody kids, I feel awful

ArmfulOfRoses Fri 08-Apr-16 18:10:40

Don't feel awful, you don't want her to be the kid nobody invites back because she jumps all over the furniture like that.

Ciggaretteandsmirnoff Fri 08-Apr-16 18:14:16

Don't feel bad. Kids take us to the edge and back most days.

I wouldn't have apologised.
I'd make her sit on the rug all weekend grin

PPie10 Fri 08-Apr-16 18:15:17

Yanbu she's naughty and she needs to behave. She's 4 not a baby, she can understand that. As for calling you rubbish, make her sit on the floor tomorrow too.

WellErrr Fri 08-Apr-16 18:16:24

No, if she can't sit on it properly she can't sit on it.

But tbh I'd be more worried about her attitude if she's calling you a 'rubbish mam' at 4.

Flowerrr Fri 08-Apr-16 18:32:20

YANBU

WeAllHaveWings Fri 08-Apr-16 18:35:14

I shouted at one of ds(12) friends from climbing over the back of my sofa yesterday, think he got a shock but he won't be doing that in my house again in a hurry. You need to teach her how to respect things so YANBU from me.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 08-Apr-16 18:37:16

You'd be a rubbish mam if you didn't tell her off. Don't feel guilty for disciplining a 4 year old.
Maybe put some music on so she can burn off some of that energy dancing (on the floor)

BertrandRussell Fri 08-Apr-16 18:55:42

Has she had enough exercise today?

Absolutely fine to tell her off and not to let her sit on the sofa . But I wouldn't say anything about it being "your sofa". Furniture belongs to the family. So we look after it because we all need it and like it to be comfortable and to look nice, and if th sofa gets broken or dirty it won't be comfortable or look nice any more.

Witchend Fri 08-Apr-16 19:09:39

I'm sitting on the floor.

RavioliOnToast Fri 08-Apr-16 19:17:36

We haven't been anywhere today so she hasn't burned any energy, we've had a pyjama day as she had a sleepover at nanas on Wednesday night and was up til 9pm, but my dsis(7) woke her at about 730am and that's not enough sleep for her, she was knackered this morning and has been sucking her thumb all day but won't go for a nap.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 08-Apr-16 19:24:29

A nice bath and early night sounds like the solution then you can sit nicely on the sofa with a glass of wine. Just don't bloody spill it grin

Spandexpants007 Fri 08-Apr-16 19:29:29

She obviously needed to go to the park

jeavcike Fri 08-Apr-16 19:41:48

Yanbu. I say similar to my dc, who are of a similar age, when they get giddy and bounce about all over the furniture.

As for the exercise, I don't know about yours but we could spend all day outside (like today, we've been for a walk, to a cafe, to the duck pond, to pick ds up from school and finally to the play area before home for tea) and they'd still bounce about like a pay of giddy kippers! Exercise, or lack of it, makes no difference to their energy levels!

jeavcike Fri 08-Apr-16 19:42:45

A pair of giddy kippers...

RavioliOnToast Fri 08-Apr-16 19:55:02

It depends with DD, usually she's the one that's asks to stay at home and do crafty things, and never usually behaves like a tit. One Dd in bed, another to go, then I need a shower and a drink grin

Woodhill Fri 08-Apr-16 21:00:10

She should not be ruining your furniture and as far as I'm concerned her behaviour is rubbish not you. She's only 4. I would reply "too bad" if she says it again.

MadamDeathstare Fri 08-Apr-16 21:06:23

YANBU and I doubt she would like it if you ran over her toys, or called her a rubbish daughter.

SquinkiesRule Fri 08-Apr-16 21:20:41

I banned my boys from the couch for a weekend for the same offense. It drove me mad. Your not rubbish your doing great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now