shoe assistant wrong prices

(87 Posts)
Sometimesithinkimbonkers Fri 08-Apr-16 10:38:02

Yesterday go into a shoe shop looking for trainers for DD4 and DS8. We also have DS6 with us who is disabled, noisy and in a wheelchair!
Assistant brings out 2 pairs of shoes, purple sparky sketchers and geox trainers. DD sees sparky shoes and loves them .... I prefer the Geox obviously as now trying to get her out of a pair of Leli Kelly's.
Ask the assistant the price ..., she says "from £40" ..... So said well that's great ... What is the price please can you check???

She goes the till and comes back and says the geox are £35 and purple ones £32. DD loves them and in price range. Assist looks for shoes for DS 8 but can't find any so we go to pay.

At the till she says £35... DS 6 is kicking off by now ... I say hmmm thought £32 ... My mistake she says ... So I pay and leave.

I'm pissed off do have phoned Head Office today and said this has happened.
They've called back and said they will speak to staff and offered 10% off next shoes and my £3 back.
Told me the staff is new!

Have IBU ? If at the till shed apologised and said £32 yes my mistake ... I'll give them at the price .... I wouldn't have been arsed ... But I had asked the price .... She had checked ... They've gone up £3 in 10 minutes.

Now I feel like I might have got the new girl in trouble !!!

It's not even the £3 i just felt pressured to buy because of said DD could have them and DS6 was kicking off!
Not only that it 3 kids I need to buy school shoes and trainers for so at least £230 spend so saving £3 is good?
Have I been a cow?

Squiff85 Fri 08-Apr-16 10:40:37

I would have just said at the till or just left it tbh. But no you've done nothing wrong, it was your £3.

littleducks Fri 08-Apr-16 10:46:46

I think it's a invitation to purchase until the moment at the till.

I wouldn't have got stressed over £3.

I would have been annoyed about them bringing out sparkly shoes if you didn't request them. I'm not entirely clear on what happened there, did you ask for specific does or just anything in her size?

NeedACleverNN Fri 08-Apr-16 11:02:26

I wouldn't have moaned about £3 tbh

Staff make mistakes

Yes she could have gone and checked but perhaps she was confident she knew the price

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 08-Apr-16 11:16:57

It was £3 and she said at the time she was mistaken. You got £3 back plus 10% off your next purchase. I don't know anyone who would have phoned head office for knowingly spending £3 more than they originally thought. I'm surprised they offered you anything and pretty gobsmacked you phoned to complain! Hope the staff member who stated their error doesn't get in trouble.

FayKorgasm Fri 08-Apr-16 11:22:00

You didn't have to buy the shoes for £35. You did and then went moaning to Head Office so yes YABU.

PPie10 Fri 08-Apr-16 11:24:20

Have I been a cow?

Yes a bit. You made such a huge deal of this. It was a mistake, did you want a hand written apology.

Grilledaubergines Fri 08-Apr-16 11:26:24

YABU. Mistakes happen. And given you thought you would be paying 'from £40', you're still better off.

Mango5000 Fri 08-Apr-16 11:29:02

I know £3 adds up (& trust me, £3 means a lot to me at the minute) but the assistant made a mistake, maybe she was having a bad day? I'm sure you've muddled things up before!!
I'd probably be w bit annoyed as you'd asked her to check but I wouldn't phone head office over £3 (the next day!) tbh. If anything, you could have made a fuss at the till, if it mattered that much.
In the grand scheme of things, I do think yabu op

99percentchocolate Fri 08-Apr-16 11:29:56

Yabu - it really wasn't that big of a deal. If you had a problem then you should have said at the tillpoint or left it really.

Fabellini Fri 08-Apr-16 11:30:42

Sounds like she'd just got them mixed up, she told you one pair were £32 and one pair were £35, she just got them the wrong way round. I think you were a bit off phoning head office to be honest, but hey, you're getting your £3 back and a voucher, so I suppose it was worth it.

99percentchocolate Fri 08-Apr-16 11:31:35

And no, I don't think you've been a cow, you didn't do anything to be nasty and you are worrying about her now. I think you maybe just misdirected your stress. We all do it.

TurnOffTheTv Fri 08-Apr-16 11:34:47

Can't believe you rang head office over £3. Sounds like you were getting stressed and shop girl just got in a muddle over the prices.

AdrenalineFudge Fri 08-Apr-16 11:40:47

This is why I'm glad I left retail.

Theimpossiblegirl Fri 08-Apr-16 11:42:27

I can't believe you rang head office over a small mistake that still made the shoes less than you were prepared to pay. You obviously just wanted to see what they would give you.

If you were finding your children distracting and wanted the whole thing over with, maybe she was feeling flustered too.

I just hope the poor assistant doesn't get pulled up on it because you have complained about her.

MidniteScribbler Fri 08-Apr-16 11:43:56

Do you usually make such a big deal out of small issues?

TheoriginalLEM Fri 08-Apr-16 11:45:12

your kids were kicking off - i daresay she just got confused. You were being unreasonable.

TheoriginalLEM Fri 08-Apr-16 11:49:12

£230 for shoes and trainers for 3 children shock you werebuying the most expensive makes and you arenit picking over £3. oooooookaaaay.

Shortandsweet20 Fri 08-Apr-16 11:50:13

Did she offer you good service? If she is new she may not have been in a situation where children are kicking off before - I work in the kids department at Clarks and I found it daunting at first!

I personally wouldn't have rang over £3, especially if the service she provided was good.

EatShitDerek Fri 08-Apr-16 11:51:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dustarr73 Fri 08-Apr-16 11:54:37

So she said from £40 and they where £32 and £35,so they where still cheaper than what she originally said.I think aibu,it was an honest mistake and they where still cheaper than what she said.

She wouldnt be able to give them to you for the cheaper price as she wouldnt be allowed.

I think you have got some person in trouble over £3.

squashtastic Fri 08-Apr-16 11:57:16

You've not been a cow, she's new. They will have a word and lesson learned. She should have got a manager to deal with you when she messed up the price.

JessieMcJessie Fri 08-Apr-16 12:01:40

How did she end up bringing out sparkly trainers that you didn't want?

Don't shoes usually have price stickers on the bottom in shops?

Couldn't you just browse the shelves, choose colour and price you wanted and ask for them in DD's size to try, like any normal shoe shop customer? confused.

Or were you shopping in Grace Brothers and being served by Miss Brahms?

KitKat1985 Fri 08-Apr-16 12:06:35

I can see why you were a bit miffed but I think you did over-react by calling head office. She probably just got the prices of the two pairs of shoes muddled up. It was a very small difference really and you didn't have to still buy them if you didn't want to once you learnt the actual price.

Go to shoezone in future like I do and then you won't be spending anything like £230

BoGrainger Fri 08-Apr-16 12:12:41

YABU I don't know where to start. You paid the correct price for a pair of shoes, complained, got a £3 refund and 10% voucher. Why come on here? Just go and party.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now