To ask that you all visit the petitions section because how many of us know it exists?

(23 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

CreviceImp Thu 07-Apr-16 16:23:51

Just got the petition on NRPS child maintenance non -compliance being treated as child neglect approved.

Can you all pop over and lend your support and share?

Thank-you flowers

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Thu 07-Apr-16 16:25:12

Where do I find it?

Just found my ex has bought a 15 plate car while my ds needs new shoes...

CreviceImp Thu 07-Apr-16 16:28:51

Goodness knows. My threads have been moved there to gather dust it would appear. Like room 101 of Mumsnet.

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/126895

Here is a direct link x

NewLife4Me Thu 07-Apr-16 16:33:56

YANBU, I signed on your other thread, unless there's two of you here with the same petition.

Bump for you.

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 07-Apr-16 16:41:23

Hi all - the Petitions topic is here. We do tend to only allow petitions to be posted in this topic, and it's not very fair for us to make exceptions.

CreviceImp Thu 07-Apr-16 16:43:16

Thank-you for your support. flowers

It's only me. I popped them on for traffic to get the word out as this is an issue that affects so many people.

I have found some have been moved to the dusty old petitions section which is not that helpful 😀

come on Mumsnet get behind this

AdrenalineFudge Thu 07-Apr-16 16:46:16

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant What is a 15 plate car? Does it come with wings to fly and also becomes a make-shift boat?

VertigoNun Thu 07-Apr-16 16:48:22

A gold plated car?

CreviceImp Thu 07-Apr-16 16:49:50

Hi BeccaMumsnet lots of posters have asked me to provide a link when it was approved. I don't think many of them are aware of the Petitions section. I have been here for years and NEVER come across this.

This is a serious issue that affects many parents and really does need to be more high profile otherwise nothing will change.

How else do you effect change unless you push this at a government level with public support?

RealityCheque Thu 07-Apr-16 17:07:37

YABVU and good luck with the petition - I feel you will need it.

I would be surprised if you get 10% of the 10000 signatures required as it is frankly ridiculous to suggest not paying is child neglect. If you do somehow get the signatures then nothing will happen. It just makes no sense and diverts attention from your cause (which IS worthy).

There absolutely should be proper penalties for non-payment but to shoe-horn it into a different (serious criminal offence) is the stuff of madness.

CreviceImp Thu 07-Apr-16 17:50:19

..... In your opinion.

I and many others feel it is a serious criminal offence and should be treated accordingly.

I

CreviceImp Thu 07-Apr-16 17:51:29

I am now on Twitter - Kerry Ann Howard2

Come and help me out as it is all new to me 😀

ItsJustAnotherUsername Thu 07-Apr-16 18:00:06

You could post a link to petition in the lone parents section OP and dare I say it, perhaps on that other forum, their LP boards seem to be busier than the one on here.

It should be a criminal offence IMO as a RP not providing the basics would be charged with neglect and I don't see why it should be any different for a NRP.

RealityCheque Thu 07-Apr-16 18:22:08

I actually agree that it should be a criminal offence. But it is not (and never ever will be, for many legal reasons) the same offence as neglect. That is the issue with this petition. It has no basis in law, can never work and will deflect attention from the very real and serious issue.

A far better approach would be to identify the issues with the current system, suggest sensible (non emotive) solutions and get people to sign up to that. This would ultimately get more support outside of these boards.

As a starter the following needs to be fixed :

Dodging proper payments when self employed.
The CSA CMA are fucking useless.

Etc

CreviceImp Thu 07-Apr-16 18:58:28

Laws can be redefined - hence the petition.

Failure to financially contribute in supporting your child/ren can and needs to be treated separately from the ineffectual government agency because it is about a bigger issue. If you fail to provide to feed, house and clothe your child you are guilty of neglect. RP or NRP the same principles should apply if we are ever to have an equal society.

If it was criminalised as I have suggested far less people would be inclined to shirk their responsibilities because the consequences would be so drastic to their immediate lives that at last an appropriately strong message would be sent out.

The issue of the financial abuse of the RP needs to be addressed too in these cases.

CreviceImp Thu 07-Apr-16 19:01:08

Thanks for the suggestion about the lone parents section. Every time I try and provide a link on here it gets referred to the wasteland that is Petitons.

CreviceImp Thu 07-Apr-16 19:55:53

Really how many of you know of the petitions section or visit it on a regular basis?

Friendofsadgirl Thu 07-Apr-16 21:31:19

Signed and bumping

CreviceImp Thu 07-Apr-16 21:34:36

Thank-you x

Doingthingsdifferently Thu 07-Apr-16 21:57:57

Signed (and I also signed the hedgehog oneblush)

CreviceImp Thu 07-Apr-16 22:08:55

😄 and why not. Poor

CreviceImp Fri 08-Apr-16 09:28:17

Bumping for today.

Please sign and share x

VertigoNun Fri 08-Apr-16 11:51:08

Bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now