To give up hope on finding eczema cream that works!!!

(241 Posts)
time2shine Wed 06-Apr-16 22:39:06

Dd is one and has dreadful eczema. It's bleeding and she's screaming because she doesn't want me to put any more doublebase on. I think it actually irritates her skin more. But I've tried all of them. Diprobase cream. Diprobase gel. Doublebase cream. Aveeno cream. Oilatum cream. Aibu to stop using any cream at all - I'm starting to think that would actually work better!!!!

I was going to take her back to the doctors tomorrow. But I don't think there are any creams left to try.

SuffolkNWhat Wed 06-Apr-16 22:40:18

The only thing that works for mine is Fucibet but it's not to be used daily, sympathies as eczema is awful.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Wed 06-Apr-16 22:42:04

Have you tried medihoney?

It's a honey based cream, you can get it on prescription. When my eczema was sore and red but not yet bleeding it was brilliant.

She probably needs antibiotic cream now if it's screaming. There's also a type of medicated tape which is really good but may not be offered to children.

Eczema is just awful you and she have my sympathies flowers

SummerSazz Wed 06-Apr-16 22:43:40

We used fucidin and hydrocortizone creams during flare ups and then epaderm for maintenance. We also tried all the ones you mentioned and they had no effect.

AdriftOnMemoryBliss Wed 06-Apr-16 22:43:58

double base is shit, and useless.

The only one i've had any success with is the Aveeno Active Naturals skin relief wit shea butter, moisturising lotion.

I use it on DS with his eczema and it clears up within 4-5 days of regular use.

Only that specific one, the generic aveeno is also crap, i bought this one for me, and DS had a break out, so i used it as i had nothing else and BINGO!

RubbleBubble00 Wed 06-Apr-16 22:44:54

epaderm

Fingerbobs Wed 06-Apr-16 22:45:23

Oh I'm so sorry, it is horrible. There are spray on emollients that you can use rather than creams, ask the dr tomorrow. It is really vital that you keep the skin moisturised but if it's bleeding it can get infected so you might need antibiotic cream and steroids to calm it all down first. Do take her to the doctor too - there are definitely other things to try. It can feel overwhelming but you can find ways to manage it. Hope you get some sleep.

Pettywoman Wed 06-Apr-16 22:46:42

Fucidin H and Aveeno sorted me out after bleeding, itching hands for over a year. I find doublebase and barrier creams inflame it more.

I had the Fucidin steroid cream from a previous unrelated thing. I blasted my hands with it and moisturised with Aveeno. Worked a dream. Other moisturisers made it worse. I also used Eucerin cream but I don't think that really helped.

I changed soap to Pears. I couldn't use other soaps, especially liquid antibac soap.

RubbleBubble00 Wed 06-Apr-16 22:46:49

www.epaderm.com

Solasum Wed 06-Apr-16 22:47:10

Ask GP for Hydromol. It is very very thick and greasy, a bit like Vaseline, and brilliant stuff.

She is probably screaming because it stings. I have occasional eczema, and put on some steroid ointment my son had been prescribed. It really hurt.

WonderingAspie Wed 06-Apr-16 22:47:47

We use Dermol for DS. No fabric softener. No soap or bubble bath. Works better than any of the others he has tried. And steroid cream when he has a bad flare up. Usually only takes a couple of small applications before the steroid cream clears it up.

When he was a baby he scratched until it bled and was red raw like sandpaper. It was infected and needed a double dose of antibiotics so I'd take her back to the doctors.

RubbleBubble00 Wed 06-Apr-16 22:48:11

ointment can be melted in bath and very good for wrapping

NicknameUsed Wed 06-Apr-16 22:48:14

Can I ask how you are washing her clothes and bedding?

DD's eczema improved when I started washing her bedding at 60 degrees. When I started using Ariel (yes Ariel bio) washing powder her eczema completely disappeared.

it turned out to be the mould spores in the washing machine that was causing the problem. Washing with bio powder at high temperatures killed off the mould and the eczema disappeared.

WhatKatyDidnt Wed 06-Apr-16 22:48:28

Hydromol ointment cleared my dd's terrible eczema within days.

charliesweb Wed 06-Apr-16 22:48:37

Lots of the cream you've mentioned sting my dd (now 11). We discovered Unguentum which she now applies herself.

RubbleBubble00 Wed 06-Apr-16 22:49:14

also try boots own allergy washing powder, no fabric conditioner and extra rinse cycle

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 06-Apr-16 22:49:34

She needs hydrocortisone when it gets really bad.

Is Lush dream cream worth a bash? It's the only thing I've found that doesn't sting when I put it on.

charliesweb Wed 06-Apr-16 22:50:20

Also run the water through a sieve of oats when she had a bath. That seems to help dds skin.
It's often hard to tell when the eczema is infected so it might be worth checking with your gp.

GeezAJammyPeece Wed 06-Apr-16 22:50:32

The Body Shop used to do a hemp range, a lot of people found it helped eczema & psoriasis etc.
I don't know if a) they still do it b) it would be suitable or c) your poor DDs skin is too severely broken out at the mo to benefit from it, but just wanted to mention it as I remember a few friends having some success with it.

I really hope you find something soon which helps her, poor wee mite.

artisanroast Wed 06-Apr-16 22:51:31

Hi,

Sorry forgive me if this has been mentioned but is it allergenic eczema?

My husband has an allergy to artificial sweeteners (and other foods which manifest themselves in other ways) the sweeteners cause allergenic eczema on his feet which doesn't respond to any creams. Even a piece of chewing gum can be enough to cause a reaction.

Could there be something similar at work here?

Solasum Wed 06-Apr-16 22:52:14

Has she had allergy testing? Lots of eczema is an allergic response. After testing (allergy consultant in big London hospital) as soon as we cut out egg completely from 7mo DS diet his skin changed completely. Definitely worth looking into. Skin prick tests were a lifesaver for us.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 06-Apr-16 22:52:36

a ' kin fragrance free body moisturiser works for my dd.

we have tried sooo many creams. this is by far the beat one for keeping the skin moisturised with out being greasy or making it worse.

time2shine Wed 06-Apr-16 22:55:27

Thank you. I know it's a trivial thing in the scheme of things. But she's so upset and tearful. She keeps looking up at me as if she's wondering why I'm not helping her : ((

Perhaps I will go back. Again. This time with a list of the creams you have mentioned. Interesting that others have found diprobase irritating. I'm quite curious about medihoney - off to google.

Aurielia Wed 06-Apr-16 22:56:10

I use cetraben (sp?) and oilatum junior bath emulent on my dd. You can buy both from supermarkets now.
Sounds like she may need a steroid cream to help heal the abrasions before any 'normal' eczema cream can be used again.

aawcmon Wed 06-Apr-16 22:56:15

My DS had really bad eczema,tried loads different prescription creams / steroids....none were particularly efficient. Bought some pure potions skin salvation cream, absolutely fantastic,can't recommend highly enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now