To want to throw out all of this chocolate?

(15 Posts)
Melbournemel Wed 06-Apr-16 14:24:24

I have a mild dairy allergy but also a major weakness for milk chocolate or more like the buckets of sugar they put in it so we don't normally keep it in the house. However, dhs family went overboard at easter and we now have 10 unopened eggs (not including what we have already eaten) in the cupboard confused Our 1 year old doesn't like choccie, the 2 year old loves it but isn't used to getting it on a regular basis. Dh and I have eaten a fair bit of it over the last week and I now feel shite because of it sad I'm sorely tempted to chuck it all out as I wouldn't even think of eating chocolate if it weren't there. I would feel a bit guilty throwing out perfectly good food though. I don't know any other kids I could pawn it off on and I'm not aware of anywhere I could donate it. There aren't any food banks etc nearby.

Peppapogstillonaloop Wed 06-Apr-16 14:31:35

You could melt it/break it down and bake with it? Freeze the results for next time you need muffins/cakes etc?

PageStillNotFound404 Wed 06-Apr-16 14:33:38

Do you have a hospice or care home near you? The residents there might enjoy some chocolate.

Pinkheart5915 Wed 06-Apr-16 14:34:11

It would be a shame to throw it out.
As the previous posted said bake with it then freeze what you make.
I know you said there aren't any food banks, what about a friend that would take it off you hands?

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 06-Apr-16 14:37:16

Wow, that's a lot of eggs.

Lots of easy use it up suggestions, a friend melted hers down and did choc fondue with big chunks of fruit for her kids but none get over your allergy so to be honest I would just bin it or take it to work and make yourselves super popular.

HelenaDove Wed 06-Apr-16 14:38:50

I too would also go for the care home idea. Or the local womens refuge.

NeedACleverNN Wed 06-Apr-16 14:41:53

Wow I thought my mum was bad.

We have a HUGE bucket in the cupboard full of chocolate my mum bought Dd for Easter along with two eggs. I don't restrict chocolate and sweets in this house. She wants them, within reason she can have them. But there was so much i had to hide it. Seriously. Mini packets of hating, little mini eggs, chocolate bars, chocolate lollies, two Lindt rabbits....you get the idea. She still has a big bag of lollies from Christmas in the cupboard too.

I'm not going to bin it though as I thought chocolate and sweets had a long shelf life?

NeedACleverNN Wed 06-Apr-16 14:42:46

Hating=haribo q

Jw35 Wed 06-Apr-16 15:39:56

Get rid or donate if you can. What do you think shops do blush maybe next year ask relatives not to buy your toddler an egg. One each from the Easter bunny is plenty! We did a hunt this year and ended up with too many medium and small eggs. I'm thinking next year to do the hunt with fake plastic eggs with one chocolate Easter egg at the end instead! Lesson learnt blush

scarednoob Wed 06-Apr-16 15:43:34

I'll pm you my address wink

Agree with the idea of baking with it. Maybe your little one could help you make chocolate crispy cakes or something for a toddler group or nursery with it?

Delacroix Wed 06-Apr-16 16:11:32

We got 14 eggs for two under-5s.

Ha, yeah, they're going to the food bank next week.

The eggs, not the kids.

They've eaten one, half of another and then haven't wanted any more since then. They got sick of it real fast. Thing is, last year we tried melting them down to make rocky road but it doesn't work as well as cooking chocolate does. It went a bit oily and weird.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 06-Apr-16 16:57:26

Problem solved. I'll have it. grin

Chchchchange Wed 06-Apr-16 17:02:19

Food bank it. It's only going to make you sick.

EverySongbirdSays Wed 06-Apr-16 17:05:12

I was about to say Food Bank but if not are your children part of any clubs or societies that might appreciate them or any local charity thing, hospice, home, childrens ward, SN school, lots of places.

Melbournemel Wed 06-Apr-16 18:21:00

I hadn't thought of local shelters, there are a few near me that I will ring later. If they won't take them then I might just land them on the toddler play group in the morning :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now