To really not understand this fascination for named people who can't act getting places above really fucking excellent stage actors. Catherine Tate.

(61 Posts)
Lanark2 Tue 05-Apr-16 19:45:41

I don't mean to be nasty, because bad or not, I would love to act shakespeare. Catherine Tate can't act effectively, but there is a feature on her acting shakespeare and you can hear she isn't 'in the part'. She is being mentioned alongside Judy Dench ffs.

Sadly, I also include Kiera Knightly in this. Great as a kid, never really believable as anadult, but still a 'name'.

Odd and extremely unfair.

Patapouf Tue 05-Apr-16 19:54:02

Unfair? Have you been overlooked for a part that's gone to CT or KK OP?
I quite like Tate, she's funny but I'm not sure she'd be a good fit for anything in Shakespeare. Cannot stand KK but I can't muster a single shit to give and perhaps you are overly invested in this.

Floggingmolly Tue 05-Apr-16 19:58:03

You'll always be accused of being "over invested" whenever you comment on anything that's not happening to you on Mumsnet...

TopHat33 Tue 05-Apr-16 20:01:37

I liked her in Much Ado.

thecatfromjapan Tue 05-Apr-16 20:02:10

The 'names' sell tickets- so I suppose it's a trade-off: give a name a star part and it effectively subsidises the run.

Some of them are very good, though, and made their name because they were good.

Owllady Tue 05-Apr-16 20:02:37

What a farking liberty hmm

Lanark2 Tue 05-Apr-16 20:02:39

No! grin I mean unfair to the amazing actors we have doing small plays and theatres that don't get national press and publicity.

FlicFlop Tue 05-Apr-16 20:03:30

I don't get the hate for KK on MN. It's weird

Lanark2 Tue 05-Apr-16 20:06:45

Ooh I didn't know it was a thing. I feel bad for her actually as I feel she is 'over agented' and gets parts that don't suit her but get profile anyway. Apologies really, as I know it's someone's living.

PortiaCastis Tue 05-Apr-16 20:09:35

I do like Shakespeare.

Sparklingbrook Tue 05-Apr-16 20:11:04

Odd and extremely unfair.

Sums this thread up.

neonrainbow Tue 05-Apr-16 20:12:27

I think you're just a bit jealous.

lostincumbria Tue 05-Apr-16 20:12:42

Most stand-up comedians in sit-coms. I'm looking at you, Jack Tossing Whitehall.

ColinFirthsGirth Tue 05-Apr-16 20:14:34

I don't hate or dislike Kk but I don't like her acting and I am not sure how she has done so well.

lostincumbria Tue 05-Apr-16 20:14:38

And that god-awful thing Russell Howard was in. And Jack Dee. Just stop with the sodding star vehicles and go back to well-written comedy shows.

lostincumbria Tue 05-Apr-16 20:15:20

Ikea Knightly has really come on lately.

lostincumbria Tue 05-Apr-16 20:17:30

Oh God you've got me going now - "star" DJs instead of people who've doesn't years working at it. Just a voice in the middle of tge songs, like EVERYONE ON HEART. Pissing Baby Spice.

blueemerald Tue 05-Apr-16 20:18:57

I know what you mean, OP. My version of your gripe is very bog standard ex-pop stars getting major roles in musicals. I have no axe to grind because I hate musicals personally but can't help but feel for the people who train for years to perfect their skills and then get overlooked by a woman who used to be in The Pussycat Dolls.

LikeDylanInTheMovies Tue 05-Apr-16 20:19:02

To sell tickets: it is called showbusiness, not showart for a reason. A 'name' in a production will add X number more bums on seats than a talented but unkown actor. Nothing 'odd' about that. Also anyone who goes into acting expecting it to be a meritocracy or 'fair' Is kidding themselves.

Sparklingbrook Tue 05-Apr-16 20:19:27

Does anyone actually listen to Heart though confused

Tartyflette Tue 05-Apr-16 20:19:28

I thought she was good in Atonement. (But absolute shite in those godawful Chanel ads) and come to think of it, just about everything since , Love Actually, Seeking a friend for the end of the Bollocks etc

blueemerald Tue 05-Apr-16 20:20:21

When I say 'by a woman' I mean 'for a woman'

cathyandclaire Tue 05-Apr-16 20:21:41

Catherine Tate trained at Central, she's a classically trained actress not just a talented comedienne.

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Tue 05-Apr-16 20:22:21

I love Jack Whitehall in Bad Education but don't get me started on Corrie and Prince Charles grin

gentlydownthestreamm Tue 05-Apr-16 20:22:26

I kind of agree, I saw Catherine Tate in 'Assasins' last year (or year before?). She really stood out (not in a good way) from the rest of the cast. Plus she couldn't sing, and it's a musical. Though to be fair, her part was one of the hardest to play I think.

I love her as a sketch artist though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now