To think there is no point in reporting this so late?

(9 Posts)
NotGonnaAnswerThePhone Tue 05-Apr-16 11:37:24

Saturday afternoon I was driving to the next town and I came to some red lights. I glanced in my rear view mirror and there was a man around 60yo in the driving seat necking a can of Carlsberg - hands shaking as he did so. I was so shocked and the lights turned green. I didn't have my phone with me but made a mental note of the licence plate.

Things happened on the weekend which led me to forget to report it. Is it too late now? Probably nothing they can do unless they catch him in the act.

I was very tempted to approach him but the road I was on is a very busy 3 lane road.

WorraLiberty Tue 05-Apr-16 11:43:15

Yes far too late. Even if you'd reported at the time they would have had to have caught him in the act.

Also, on any given day I can spot 4/5/6 people necking a Starbuck's coffee while driving through rush hour traffic and sometimes the Police drive past.

The fact he was drinking beer doesn't mean he was automatically over the limit though.

WetLettuce123 Tue 05-Apr-16 13:33:55

Do you expect the police to (in their eyes) possibly waste their time tracking someone down and asking him to admit to wrong doing days after the event? For all they know you could have mis-remembered the licence plate or could be making it up. Doesn't make any sense.

MinecraftyMum Tue 05-Apr-16 13:49:31

Necking a can of Carlsburg during the day whilst driving.

I highly doubt that was a one off. I would still report it. Plus, you never know - maybe he's banned but the Police already suspect him of driving and are just waiting for corroboration.

It may well do no good now, but it won't do any harm either.

NotGonnaAnswerThePhone Tue 05-Apr-16 14:53:26

I decided to report it via the Crimestoppers website. You never know, if they pass the car it might flag up as "possible drink driver" assuming they even possess that possibly made up technology

Friendlystories Tue 05-Apr-16 15:00:40

I think you've done the right thing OP, as Minecrafty said it can't hurt. I know they can put flags on cars they suspect of being involved in drug dealing etc so it's likely they can do the same with drink driving.

ShmooBooMoo Tue 05-Apr-16 16:34:57

You probably did the best thing for the driver too. Imagine how he'd feel if he hit someone whilst drunk at the wheel...

huskylover Tue 05-Apr-16 16:53:56

Yes, it will flag up on the ANPR (automated number plate recognition) system, that is installed in Police Vehicles. They will do a random stop on him. You did the right thing.

Aridane Tue 05-Apr-16 18:47:35

Good for you for reporting - the police can decide whether or not you're wasting their time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now