To ask someone to explain in bullet point , easy to understand form about the pros / cons of leaving the EU?

(10 Posts)
DoNotDisturbTheBoogie Sun 03-Apr-16 21:14:09

I'm undecided as I don't know enough about it .

I have a medical condition which means I can't understand complex research / articles blush

Please can people give me simple and easy to understand explanations to help me decide whether I should vote in or out smile

EastMidsMummy Sun 03-Apr-16 21:29:35

Are you a frightened racist? Vote LEAVE.

Are you friendly and reasonable? Vote REMAIN.

merrymouse Sun 03-Apr-16 21:41:37

Our relationship with Europe, with or without the EU depends on a web of agreements, negotiations and give and take and is controlled by the balance of power within the EU.

Countries like Norway and Switzerland still have to make agreements with the EU about movement of people and trade, many of which are very similar to EU agreements, while on the other hand, the U.K. has negotiated not to sign up to things like the Euro.

In the EU the UK has a vote on EU wide agreements, many of which would affect the UK Even if it were outside the EU, but must comply with these agreements (or not - many EU countries aren't so fussed about complying with regulations).

Outside the EU, the U.K. has more freedom on the face of it, but less influence over EU policy, which might affect the UK.

merrymouse Sun 03-Apr-16 21:43:41

Whatever is decided, you can guarantee that, like Scottish Independence, this will not be the last we hear of either campaign.

DoNotDisturbTheBoogie Sun 03-Apr-16 21:44:37

So can EU policy still affect the UK even if we are no longer part of the EU?

What's the point in leaving then? confused
Genuine question .

Itinerary Sun 03-Apr-16 21:50:27

Have you seen this thread?

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2599709-Imagine-Im-5-years-old-and-tell-me-your-views-on-the-EU-referendum

YokoUhOh Sun 03-Apr-16 21:52:09

There is no point leaving. Things will be the same, the EU will still exist, but we'll have no say in any of its machinations. The Calais Jungle will become the Dover Jungle, and lots more besides.

The most galling thing about the whole referendum debate is that the Brexiters - mainly 60+ voters who won't be around to see the real ramifications of their vote - have the press on their side.

lljkk Sun 03-Apr-16 22:21:41

Right now we have Devil we Know. Leaving EU means Devil we Don't Know.

So can EU policy still affect the UK even if we are no longer part of the EU? What's the point in leaving then?

Supposedly, UK can make perfect-for-UK treaties with other parts of the world, even if we have to follow EU rules for a lot of things (like when we want to sell stuff to EU). And we can make decisions faster when we need to change treaties. So we can better protect British industries, keep out low skill immigrants, and small companies that only sell stuff to British people won't have to follow silly EU rules.... like some rules that might make food and toys safe. (shrug)

The Remain-people say that all those itty bitty treaties will take too long to negotiate & Britain won't get a good deal (because Britain is much smaller than entire EU). Plus the international banks will be seriously freaked out and take money out of UK. I don't understand why myself, but for some reason, when banks close accounts, the rest of us suffer. Nobody ever argues about that last part.

The Leave-people say that Britain is so important in the world that other countries will want to quickly negotiate a fair treaty with us. And that the EU is a financial disaster so really the safest bet is to run away from EU problems, which are much scarier than enormous banks removing lots of money from their UK accounts.

purits Sun 03-Apr-16 22:36:32

Nobody knows.
It's all speculation and hypothesis. It's too complicated to calculate.

The Remain voters seem scared. They think that the sky will fall in if we don't have our mates in the EU to hold our hand. They also think that "there are far too many treaties to negotiate" is a good argumenthmm - we are stuck in a spider's web so they think the best thing is to lie still and not struggle but the reality is that we will get wrapped in even more spider-silk.

The bigger the EU gets, the less control we have over our own affairs.

One day, the EU will fail. Better to get out now, on our own terms and ahead of the crash.

VertigoNun Sun 03-Apr-16 22:41:43

Ever watched star wars? The EU is vulnerable to someone taking over

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Palpatine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now