To think that bras should last longer than 2 months before the frigging stabby wires pop out??

(61 Posts)
Melbournemel Sun 03-Apr-16 14:39:07

Paid almost £30 for a bra in debenhams in january and this morning the wire has popped out angry Same thing happened not long ago but I put it down to a one off and couldn't find the receipt so didn't bring it back. 2 in a row is a bit of a pattern though hmm I'm definitely going to bring it back this time.

Aibu to expect bras to last longer than 2 months before trying to stab me? And where is good for decent quality larger busted bras?

PerspicaciaTick Sun 03-Apr-16 14:41:14

And no matter much sewing I do, once a wire has popped it never stays in place again.
I m currently looking bit lopsided in my "one wire in one wire out" bra.

wombattoo Sun 03-Apr-16 14:43:06

I bought a Triumph bra from Debenhams and the same thing happened when i washed it. They took it back and gave me new one, no questions asked.

bloodyteenagers Sun 03-Apr-16 14:43:49

Before I got refitted I had a lot pop out. Got the correct size and not been an issue.

trinity0097 Sun 03-Apr-16 14:45:37

Sinc ei've started wearing the right size bra it's not happened to me, but it did a lot before.

Get yourself to bravissimo and get correctly fitted

AnguaResurgam Sun 03-Apr-16 14:53:42

I wear the ADSA Tshirt bras these days, and have yet to have a wire go on me. Moulded cups, so not for everyone. But if their fit is right for you, they're great. And very, very cheap.

They bring out different colours ever so often. My boobs have never been so eye catching.

wonkylegs Sun 03-Apr-16 14:56:49

It's taken years for wires to pop out of my bras (if at all) and I get quite a few from Debenhams as they are one of the few places that caters for my size (I didn't get on with bravissimo despite people raving that the' be perfect for me)

Sallyingforth Sun 03-Apr-16 14:59:59

My two bras are both at least five years old, probably nearer ten. But they don't get worn very often.

Sanchar Sun 03-Apr-16 15:01:57

I've had my bras for over a year and they are good as new. Still tight in the band, straps fine, cups fine, wire fine.

How do you wash them and do you have enough bras to rotate? I have 5 which is more than enough for the wear, wash, rest cycle. 3 would be the minimum I reckon.

littledrummergirl Sun 03-Apr-16 15:07:00

Mine didn't even last a month sad angry I've gone back to cheap Tesco non wired ones which thankfully they do in a H fit.

nightandthelight Sun 03-Apr-16 15:07:33

Do you machine wash? Bras should always be hand washed and not tumble dried. When I stopped machine washing my bras they started lasting much longer smile

Also bras should be replaced every year if handwashed, every six months if machine washed!

If this happens regularly it almost always indicates some sort of fit issue - normally being too small in the cups or the wires being the wrong shapes (too wide or too narrow) for your breasts. There's the odd exception but happening regularly suggests fit issue which means the wires aren't sitting quite right, putting extra strain on the ends.
I'm a bad person who machine washes her bras (cool setting) but this has more impact on the lycra than anything else IME.

How often you need to replace bras depends on how many you have - I have loads so replacing every 6 months would be bonkers for me as they'd maybe only have been worn 10 times.

nightandthelight Sun 03-Apr-16 15:14:39

That is true statistically is just a guideline at the end of the day smile

jay55 Sun 03-Apr-16 15:17:07

I don't know why bras are still made in such a crude way. Surely there are lots of better, more durable, comfortable materials that could be used now.

Bodicea Sun 03-Apr-16 15:21:09

Panache and Freya are great for larger sizes. And I only ever need to replace when the fabric starts thinning usually after quite a lot of wear. Some people like Freya but personally I don't fine the fit works for me. Get your self measured by the boob or bust thread on fb x

Bodicea Sun 03-Apr-16 15:22:31

Also I machine wash my bras in a pillowcase but don't tumblr dry and that works for me.

Bodicea Sun 03-Apr-16 15:23:32

Sorry that was supposed to say panache and fantasie!

Littleallovertheshop Sun 03-Apr-16 15:25:48

My debenhams bras are the comfiest but I'm also having this issue constantly. I am wearing the right size though. I thought I'd sleep posted this aibu grin

eightbluebirds Sun 03-Apr-16 15:36:14

This is why you shouldn't machine wash them. Not saying you are but most people seem to and then wonder why they fall apart so quickly.

wonkylegs Sun 03-Apr-16 16:22:21

I machine wash(40 degree) mine but don't tumble dry and they don't fall apart. But I also have enough that they don't get intensive use.

Often it's not even being a full size out, it's a small tweak that means the wires aren't quite right. I used to pop wires regularly but I've not done it for probably close to 10 years now, despite my bra washing habits.

Vintage45 Sun 03-Apr-16 16:30:02

This continually happened to me so I now wear bras without underwires.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 03-Apr-16 16:47:18

I was wearing a DD cup and regularly had wires poking out stabby bastards. Once I was fitted correctly (much smaller band and H cup) it hasn't happened since.

The wires now sit flush to my body under the arms and in the middle where they should and this seems to prevent them moving/rubbing about inside the bra and eventually escaping.

OhGodWhatTheHellNow Sun 03-Apr-16 16:49:12

What the hell use is an item of clothing for daily wear next to your skin that can't go in the washing machine? Ffs it's 2016 and we're supposed to handwash these things?

Hate bloody bras. Hate sodding underwires. Hate DD boobs too sad

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sun 03-Apr-16 16:52:59

Ooh. Tesco,do,a cheap bigger bra?

Misses point of thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now