Please stop me going mental....

(33 Posts)
fatmomma99 Sun 03-Apr-16 00:39:31

AT LAST... DH finally gone to bed so I can post here.

DD (14) away skiing with school. Has had an amazing time. Due home tomorrow about 12.

She rang today. Casually mentioned she broke her finger yesterday.

As far as I can tell, she hasn't seen a medical professional. Someone's just strapped it up. And her teacher 'lent her his mitten' for continuing to ski today "it doesn't hurt, mum". It's her ring finger.

Surely to goodness she should have gone to local A&E and had it checked/strapped properly?

They leave the venue at 2pm our time tonight, travel all night and get back tomorrow lunchtime. I do appreciate teachers giving up their time. WHY did no one get this checked out.

The teachers are going to be knacked when they get back, and I get it's not fair to lay into them. But why wasn't this dealt with appropriately!!!!!!

YouTheCat Sun 03-Apr-16 00:41:28

So long as it's not dislocated and she has full feeling in it, there's not a great deal to be done with a broken finger.

If she has any pain when she gets back, see a doctor or go to minor injuries unit.

SilenceIsSoLoud Sun 03-Apr-16 00:43:25

I think it's seen as the same a broken toe not a lot they can do except strap it it. Unlike me who rushed out to buy DD a pair or crutches because she couldn't walk on her foot.

EverySongbirdSays Sun 03-Apr-16 00:46:18

"As far as I can tell" so she may well have seen a medical professional she just hasn't said so?

I would say she probably has seen one that's what the reams and reams of risk assessments they have to do for these sorts of trips are for. Don't go shouting the odds until you know she didn't.

Try and sleep she'll be home by lunchtime

Floggingmolly Sun 03-Apr-16 00:47:34

If she hasn't seen a medical professional, it may not even be broken.

Vintage45 Sun 03-Apr-16 00:47:35

How does anyone know if its broken? Even if it is nothing much will be done about it.

UsernameIncorrect Sun 03-Apr-16 00:49:29

How does she know it's broken?

UsernameIncorrect Sun 03-Apr-16 00:50:09

Ah!

Tartyflette Sun 03-Apr-16 00:52:36

I've had broken fingers before, all they did was strap it to the next finger and put a thin piece of bendy metal stuff around the two of them. That stayed on for about a day and a half.

fatmomma99 Sun 03-Apr-16 00:54:14

Shouldn't they have checked it out properly, though?

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 03-Apr-16 00:57:04

It'll be fine. Take her to A&E if you want to be sure once she's home but I suspect they've done the right thing. If she can ski with it, it isn't flopping about.

Vintage45 Sun 03-Apr-16 00:59:11

No not really for a finger.

MattDillonsPants Sun 03-Apr-16 01:05:35

Why'd you have to wait for DP to go to bed to post here? confused

fatmomma99 Sun 03-Apr-16 01:08:45

He wanted to watch telly with me, Matt, and enjoy the last night of just us before she comes home. I thought it would be rude to sit on the computer.

Birthgeek Sun 03-Apr-16 01:08:55

A broken finger, not the end of the world. Pretty minor. What's the worst that could happen?

MyKingdomForBrie Sun 03-Apr-16 01:09:17

Broken or not broken the answer is to strap it, so...

Patapouf Sun 03-Apr-16 01:10:21

I've broken my fingers loads. A&e cant do much aside from strap it up, check wrist and joint movement etc.
I wouldn't worry OP

They can't do anything for a broken finger, other then strap it...there's really not much to be done for it

Take her to a&e if you want but I really can't see how they've done anything wrong

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 03-Apr-16 01:16:04

My DD injured her thumb on a school ski trip (she was Yr 8 at the time)
They took her for a XRay, there were huge wedges of forms to complete (by the teacher)
It wasn't broken but it was a the one that she'd previously broken (of course)

They didn't phone or text me (I think DD agreed not to) but everything was done for her.

fatmomma99 Sun 03-Apr-16 01:25:23

I'm trying not to be all PFB (I'm sooooo PFB), but shouldn't it be checked out?

I've got no personal experiences of broken fingers, but I have broken a toe, and I do know there's no point in getting x-rays etc for a broken toe.

But if you've got charge of someone else's child, shouldn't it be properly checked? And is strapping just ok, or does it not need to be set so it doesn't cause her problems later?

Vintage45 Sun 03-Apr-16 01:27:26

OP, it won't be "set" grin

Wait until she's home and I'm sure the school will tell you what happened, they have a duty of care so all will have been above board.

fatmomma99 Sun 03-Apr-16 01:31:35

I'm being PFB aren't I?

Ok, going to bed now. I have a maimed child to welcome home tomorrow, and that chicken won't roast itself.

Vintage45 Sun 03-Apr-16 01:37:31

No you're not being PFB, you're just being a mum!

Stillunexpected Sun 03-Apr-16 01:43:09

You don't actually even know if her finger is broken! This is what your DD told you but if she hasn't seen a medical professional she can't know for sure, and if she has had it checked out then there's nothing to worry about. I don't know why you didn't establish with her while she was on the phone what treatment she had received (or not). If she's going to be back tomorrow lunchtime, you can take her to A&E yourself if you are concerned.

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Sun 03-Apr-16 01:44:47

No you not being pfb I would be exactly the same, it's hard when kids are in care of others and you can't evaluate situation yourself.

Hope all will be ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now