to tell you that today is world Autism Awareness day

(133 Posts)
livvylongpants Sat 02-Apr-16 10:57:33

Just that really!

my son has recently been diagnosed with autism at 2.5 and so many people don't realise that today is autism awareness day. Many people seem to know very little about it. i've lost count of the amount of times i've been told 'he can't be autistic as he looks you in the eye' or 'well he looks normal are you sure hes not just naughty'

Also a hello! to any other autistic people and parents on here

x2boys Sat 02-Apr-16 10:59:32

Yes thanks for sharing my ds2 also. has autism.

MrsBobDylan Sat 02-Apr-16 11:02:52

Hello and hope you all have a great day today. We're about to go and make the good people in Sainsburys more 'aware' of autism by taking our lovely son out. Give us a wave when you hear us!

livvylongpants Sat 02-Apr-16 11:05:59

haha mrsbobdylan - we have already made many people 'autism aware' in tescos this morning!

x2boys Sat 02-Apr-16 11:07:30

grinMrsBobDylan ds usually makes people aware in Asda with spinning!

AlwaysDancing1234 Sat 02-Apr-16 11:07:31

Our DS is on the spectrum and I'm still surprised by the amount of people who's only idea of autism is 'Rain Man'.

I've also had the "but he can look you in the eye, laugh at jokes and hold a conversation with you therefore he's surely not autistic" type comments. It's bloody hard isn't it.

All we as parents can do is try and educate people one at a time, start with family and friends and work our way outwards.

in the meantime embrace your child's quirks and differences and ignore any negative ignorant comments (I know easier said than done!)

herecomethepotatoes Sat 02-Apr-16 11:08:53

www.un.org/en/sections/observances/international-days/

Genuinely, yes.

What does 'International Day of X' actually mean or accomplish considering tomorrow is "International Day for Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action"?

Mayor22 Sat 02-Apr-16 11:11:50

Hi there! I too am marking AutismAwareness Day here - our first since DD was diagnosed. I want to rant to the world that because my DD copes with school (masks) it doesn't mean that you can disbelieve her diagnosis, grrr. A mixture of embracing my lovely DD's diagnosis so we can better help her, and being angry that if others don't see evidence of it themselves they dismiss it! Let's carry on raising awareness!

livvylongpants Sat 02-Apr-16 11:16:48

I think it is a day to talk about autism, 1 in 100 people in the UK is living with some form of autism, i think its important people are aware of it, maybe then people wouldn't tut and stare at my son when he is acting differently

livvylongpants Sat 02-Apr-16 11:21:02

alwaysdancing1234 yes many people assume DS must be super smart. actually what rain man had is called a Savant skill, which only roughly 10% of autistic children have. most autistic children have around average intelligence, DS is believed to have an associated learning difficulty as he is thought to have quite below average intelligence

Dawndonnaagain Sat 02-Apr-16 11:21:36

Dd 19 made a few people aware of autism when she had a meltdown in town this morning!

2boysnamedR Sat 02-Apr-16 11:21:51

Yes - autism awareness day is just another day where my sons asd is polity ignored. No " why isn't he talking yet?" Why is going to that school?

It's all ignored at kept at arms lenght. Like prince John - better kept out of the public family eye.

FB will be full of people sharing whilst still insisting my son is perfectly normal

Einstein was mute at four don't you know!

x2boys Sat 02-Apr-16 11:22:58

It's a day to remind people that autism comes in many different forms that it is a huge spectrum that not everyone is verbal. or high functioning and whilst many people don't view their autism as a disability for many people it can be very disabling.

Bluebolt Sat 02-Apr-16 11:25:40

I no longer say DS has autism and stick with severe learning difficulties. Awareness days does help and people do seem more informed. The worst years for us, were the toddler years as this was when it was most difficult to see the difference for strangers. now he is nearly 10 it is clearly obvious. I sometimes feel lucky that DS2 seems to have no idea, it must be so different for children and adults who can see the stares or hear the rain man comments and have to deal with them. I do find the ASD support on Facebook from people who fled a mile when they had to deal with the reality really annoying.

AntiquityReRises Sat 02-Apr-16 11:30:51

If I need to say things to strangers I usually say ds2 has special needs.

Too many still seem to think it's a behaviour issue especially in a child who can make eye contact.

livvylongpants Sat 02-Apr-16 11:31:27

oh yes... 'my sons cousins dogs sister didn't talk till she was 5 and is a brain surgeon now' ... and that helps me how??

I am very lucky, my immediate circle or family and friends are incredibely supportive and accepting of us. random acquaintances at playgroup etc? not so much, they avoid him like its contagious...

DrDreReturns Sat 02-Apr-16 11:32:51

Thanks op. DS is an aspie.

PhilPhilConnors Sat 02-Apr-16 11:37:27

My son has ASD, diagnosed last year. Some family are supportive, most choose to believe in the Rainman type stereotypes.
We come under fire for doing things differently.

Mayor22, completely understand that! Ds2 masks exceptionally well, to the point where people think we're making it up that he has ASD!

I have a blog post about it if you want me to PM it to you, some people have found it helpful.

AntiquityReRises Sat 02-Apr-16 11:40:28

Oh yes, the avoiders, especially the avoiders that usher their own children away.

That being said there are some lovely mums out there who interact with him in children's play areas because he thinks all adults are there for him! (Obviously we're working on that before I get berated)

Emochild Sat 02-Apr-16 11:43:24

Dd has ASD

She is clever, articulate and sociable in public
She's also a school refuser, demanding, anxious and sometimes aggressive
So many people believe that she can appear 'normal' it's a parenting issue

Autism awareness day means that more people are aware autism comes in all shapes and sizes

LuisSuarezTeeth Sat 02-Apr-16 11:50:53

Wonder why this isn't stickied by MNHQ? I see nothing about it anywhere. Would have thought it would at least be a DOD.

Have I missed something?

PhilPhilConnors Sat 02-Apr-16 11:56:52

A few years ago there was an amazing AIBU thread about what ASD is really like, I remember it being eye opening for a lot of MNers, perhaps it's time for another of them.

livvylongpants Sat 02-Apr-16 12:02:31

philphilconnors, i've never seen that thread, i'd happily give some people an insight!

PhilPhilConnors Sat 02-Apr-16 12:05:27

I read it when we first suspected ds2 had ASD, so must be 3 or 4 years ago now.

PhilPhilConnors Sat 02-Apr-16 12:05:57

I'll start a thread, and hope it doesn't flop, or that everyone says IABU grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now