Or are fake pregnancy April Fools announcements just the naffest thing ever?

(40 Posts)
MrsMogginsMinge Fri 01-Apr-16 13:25:00

A FB 'friend' (vague acquaintance from school) posted a picture of a Clearblue digital earlier. Only joking guys! UGH. Just the absolute worst.

Earlyday Fri 01-Apr-16 13:27:49

Yeah - insensitive to people going through miscarriages and infertility - although I'm sure it didn't enter their heads and they just saw the funny side

Wellthen Fri 01-Apr-16 13:29:35

Any 'joke' announcements of big news is just irritating and verging on cruel. I can't see how anyone thinks this is a good idea. Why would you laugh at people who are congratulating and wishing you well?

MadHattersWineParty Fri 01-Apr-16 13:29:38

Yeah, I think those kind of AF 'jokes' are a bit tacky.

I don't know anyone who would announce their pregnancy on social media with a picture of a stick they'd just pissed on even if they were serous!

CaveMum Fri 01-Apr-16 13:31:57

It takes a special kind of idiot to find that sort of thing amusing. You never know who in your Friends list (or life in general) might be struggling to conceive or have suffered a loss, or been told they will never be able to have children.

And yes I speak as someone who had to undergo fertility treatment and us about to start the whole process all over again.

dylsmimi Fri 01-Apr-16 13:32:33

Not funny at all and potentially confusing and makes people feel embarrassed
Although I did find out I was pregnant with ds2 on April fools day!! Only person I 'announced' it to was dh and did start with saying 'this isnt and April fool but ... wink

PrimalLass Fri 01-Apr-16 13:34:11

Anything April Fools is just ridiculous. Especially by adults.

dylsmimi Fri 01-Apr-16 13:34:43

Sorry cross post with cavemum - good luck with everything
We had the same with ds1 which is why ds2 was a happy April fools surprise!

Beth2511 Fri 01-Apr-16 13:56:03

There seems to be a thing on mine a lot this year campaigning against doing it which seems to have worked!

Mousefinkle Fri 01-Apr-16 13:56:13

It'd be best if they did this and got an array of "April fools, not funny guys." Blah blah responses but they actually were pregnant.

It's not funny. Pranks generally aren't. There's always someone that gets hurt in some way. I prefer intelligent witty humour.

jeavcike Fri 01-Apr-16 14:06:12

I saw this this morning and shared it. I know of at least 3 People on my fb list who have miscarried and would be very hurt by this sort of 'joke'.

imwithspud Fri 01-Apr-16 14:14:41

I agree it's totally naf and not very creative either. I actually deleted someone a few years ago who went the whole hog and uploaded a fake scan photo - I found it to be in very poor taste.

I just don't get what is so funny about announcing a fake pregnancy.

molyholy Fri 01-Apr-16 14:15:53

Not funny. Not just due to the insensitive nature, but who is the joke on? I don't get why someone would be like 'oh what's she like, pretending she is pregnant. how hilrious'.

CaveMum Fri 01-Apr-16 14:16:37

Thanks dylsmimi smile

PrimalLass Fri 01-Apr-16 15:04:19

I just don't get what is so funny about announcing a fake pregnancy

It's on the same level of narcissism as thinking anyone else really gives a shit about your wedding (cross ref to Maui thread).

VoldysGoneMouldy Fri 01-Apr-16 15:06:08

I've been dreading today, and have avoided facebook in case of these. There were a few last year, some of them from people I would have thought above it. A lot of pages I follow, completely unrelated to pregnancy, have actually been sharing "don't do fake pregnancy announcements for April Fools" over the last two weeks, and that's been great. It did lead to a rather heated discussion on one of those pages, and it was infuriating to see how closed minded people can be to the struggles of pregnancy loss, infant loss and infertility, but hopefully in a few years time these will have stopped happening at all.

flowers to anyone struggling with any of this today. It might be a joke, but it's triggering as hell.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Fri 01-Apr-16 15:09:34

Yes, Primal, that's exactly what it is. So attention-seeking too.

I think people who do this generally have low levels of intelligence and completely elevated ideas of their audience's interest in them.

... and that's without taking into account the feelings of others.

MisguidedAngel Fri 01-Apr-16 15:14:11

I'm not on Facebook, but two women friends of mine who weren't able to have children have recently told me that they were upset to get one of those "pass this on to wonderful mums you know" - from a very recent acquaintance. Very thoughtless.

mixedfruitlyf Fri 01-Apr-16 15:19:34

I've made the pregnancy joke before and I've suffered multiple losses. Guess I am a twatgrin

Pinkheart5915 Fri 01-Apr-16 15:25:54

I think April fool pregnancys have Been done to death, to me it's the mark of somebody with no imagination

mumoseven Fri 01-Apr-16 15:55:23

I had my first son on April 1st. His birth story was a bit Carry On Midwife style comedy shenanigans, but as he was born after 12 noon he ain't no fool.

mumoseven Fri 01-Apr-16 15:56:52

Oh not this April it was in1994! Also Good Friday.

Chocolatteaddict1 Fri 01-Apr-16 16:00:14

Not everyone feels like this though! I struggled with eptopics and infertility for ten years, was told I would never conceive. But I just seen them for what they are - naff attempts at jokes.

Not every one who has suffered losses band the 'B' words.

imwithspud Fri 01-Apr-16 16:10:40

For me it's not so much sparing a thought for those going through difficult times in regards to fertility/baby loss (although that does play apart) it's more the fact that it's a crap joke that lacks a punchline.

EnglishFern Fri 01-Apr-16 16:15:01

I don't get the hate.

How is it any different to posting about a real pregnancy? For those that can't conceive that is?

If you are having fertility issues then presumably your reaction to any pg announcement doesn't depend on it being real or otherwise?

FWIW I wouldn't announce a pregnancy on social media as I think it's tacky, so neither would I announce one as a joke.

I just don't get the difference to the people who find it offensive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now