babysitting

(12 Posts)
TheEntWife Fri 01-Apr-16 11:06:39

shamelessly posting for traffic here but could use a sanity check.

DSD is 13. Very mature and sensible. She scares me sometimes she is so level headed.

DD is 6, dd2 is 4 and ds1 is nearly 3. Quite well behaved. Adore their older sister and worship the ground she walks on.

DH and i have got tickets to see a live music event locally on saturday night. Usual babysitter has had to pull out at the last minute. DSD has offered to do it.

Little kids would be in bed. All DSD would be doing is making sure the house doesnt burn down, eating pizza and watching TV. She has her own phone and could call us if there was a problem.

We would be about 10-15 minutes away in an emergency. Neighbours would be available in a pinch.

I am not crazy to be considering this am i?

At 13 i had a thriving babysitting business but i recognise that times and perceptions change.

LizKeen Fri 01-Apr-16 11:10:47

I was babysitting two kids at that age. I think it is fine. Especially as you feel she is trustworthy.

However, I think as you said, opinions have changed, and some people might not think it is OK.

inlawsareasses Fri 01-Apr-16 11:12:18

I wouldn't it's a lot of responsibility for a 13 year old to care for a 6,4 and 2 year old without the backup of an adult.

AdrenalineFudge Fri 01-Apr-16 11:16:22

I'd let her, from the little you've written it sounds as though you've established a good 'step' relationship. She's offered, not like she was roped into it and it might establish a stronger bond and trust if all goes well. All bases are covered really; presumably it would be bed time for the little ones, she has her phone and you're only 15 mins away.

QuiteLikely5 Fri 01-Apr-16 11:16:35

Tricky one, could you tell the neighbours what you were doing?

The responses here may get a bit wild, with SS mentioned so put your armour on!

SylviaWrath Fri 01-Apr-16 11:20:26

I did that at 13, but I wouldn't leave mine with a 13 year old now. 6, 4 and 2...thats a lot of young children. I'm sure she is very sensible, but could she cope in a real emergency? A choking incident, a fall down stairs, a sudden onset illness....? That would be my main concern.
Also, I have to admit, I'd be worried that other people would judge me for it, especially if anything happened. I shouldn't let that be a concern, but it would be, being honest.

AliceScarlett Fri 01-Apr-16 11:21:14

As long as she knows how to reach you and you're easily contactable I'd say its perfectly fine.

SylviaWrath Fri 01-Apr-16 11:21:26

Also a question: would DSD's mother be ok with her doing it? I would have to consider that as well.

Noodledoodledoo Fri 01-Apr-16 11:23:23

Our babysitter is 13, is also very level headed and I know her well from an activity she used to do.

If your little ones are unlikely to cause a fuss, (might be worth not telling them in case they decided getting up to play could be more fun!) and stay asleep I can see nothing wrong.

I would also mention it to neighbours for any just in case situations - is her mum about to be on hand as well if the relationship is good?

honeylulu Fri 01-Apr-16 11:23:25

Sounds ok all things considered. 3 lemme ones seems a lot but if they are reliable sleepers not so bad. I would def brief neighbours for her peace of mind. Make sure she has their number so she can summon back up without leaving house, however unlikely that is.
I hope you are paying her. Being told I had to stay in and babysit younger relatives (for free) used to really piss me off!

TheEntWife Fri 01-Apr-16 11:27:55

i am assuming her mother would be ok with it. It wouldnt happen if she wasnt.

All the kids except DSD would be in bed. They would be in bed at 7.30 and we would leave before 8-8.30pm. Back around midnight. I cant really envisage any choking/falls etc as they are all good sleepers and not prone to night wanderings (knock on wood!).

in the event of an illness i would expect her, and would leave specific instruction to, call me and i would come home.

Thanks for the input so far.

TheEntWife Fri 01-Apr-16 11:32:22

Definately paying her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now