Email Address Shared

(9 Posts)
Elle80 Thu 31-Mar-16 21:27:39

I filled out one of those online forms to have a holiday brochure sent to me (it was the company's own website) and today I have received a virtual brochure, but what has really annoyed me is that they have sent the email to about 15 people with no attempt to hide our email addresses (no BCC).
AIBU to be really annoyed by this? I know it's only an email address but I feel it is a data breach. Would you email the company regarding this error?

isitginoclock Thu 31-Mar-16 21:29:32

Yup. It's not an excuse but it may well be a new person emailing out who had not been made aware of the rules. Def bring it up with them. YANBU xx

Itinerary Thu 31-Mar-16 21:41:36

Yes, I'd let them know.

TJEckleburg Thu 31-Mar-16 21:43:41

Serious breach of data protection law. Complain to the ICO

BitchyComment Thu 31-Mar-16 21:45:51

Oh dear, that's a bit amateurish of them. Id let them know.

I don't know if you already do this but I use a number of different email addresses for different purposes.

Elle80 Thu 31-Mar-16 21:47:47

I was worried I may be over thinking it as I work in the public sector where we have to be very careful with data, but it has left me feeling a bit 'exposed'. Thank you x

EduCated Thu 31-Mar-16 21:50:15

Definitely let them know.

londonrach Thu 31-Mar-16 21:50:57

Happened to me and i contacted the company and they apologised and as i was a selling one sent me something amazing which i use daily. Didnt expect that just told them so they could change the way they sent emails. Worth letting them know.

DisappointedOne Fri 01-Apr-16 01:34:09

Serious breach of data protection law. Complain to the ICO

Wrong. Email addresses aren't considered to be personal data. Worst they've done is fail to follow email etiquette.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now