To be concerned at a canine falling out after a premolar?

(11 Posts)
dlacey Thu 31-Mar-16 21:21:51

DS is 9. He lost his first premolar a few days ago, and has been wiggling the adjacent canine ever since (it was slightly wobbly before), so it is now on the point of falling out.

Having Googled the order of tooth loss I would have expected the canine to have fallen out before the premolar, not after. Trouble is, I have a nagging feeling that he'd already lost his canine and that the one he's been wiggling to the point of dropping out is actually the adult tooth - size-wise it certainly looks in proportion to his adult incisors.

I may be worrying for nothing, but how unusual is it for teeth to fall out in the "wrong" order? Would my dentist think I was bonkers if I made an appointment to double-check that the wobbly canine is a baby tooth?

Mrsmorton Thu 31-Mar-16 21:26:07

Im a dentist and I'd be happy to have a look. Canines are quite important. smile hope it's all ok.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Thu 31-Mar-16 21:29:09

I still have both my infant canines at the age of 37. Has never caused me a problem. I am a keen eater of steak served bleu and my party trick is to order a plate of buffalo wings and send an empty plate back...

shinynewusername Thu 31-Mar-16 21:34:07

That's -er - interesting, LadyM

<fetches garlic>

GrannyWeatherWaxandtheBees Thu 31-Mar-16 21:35:42

I lost my canines (3/4) after my premolars. Had the fourth removed in the end as it refused to budge after I'd lost all my other infant teeth; several years later in fact (12). Think its reasonably common.

dlacey Fri 01-Apr-16 08:50:01

Mrsmorton - I've attached a picture. Does the one with the arrow look like a baby tooth to you?

FanjofortheMammaries Fri 01-Apr-16 08:51:45

It does to me, it am not a dentist just a mum of a 9 year old

FanjofortheMammaries Fri 01-Apr-16 08:51:56

*but

Niceteeth Fri 01-Apr-16 08:53:20

Hi, just saw this on active. That does look like a baby tooth to me, and yes I am a dentist! Hope that's reassuring!

dlacey Fri 01-Apr-16 08:54:24

Phew - thanks Niceteeth.

Mrsmorton Fri 01-Apr-16 09:44:22

Pretty sure that's a baby tooth. You'd have to go some to wobble out s permanent canine by hand. They're sturdy!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now