To be watching the President Trump show on 4?

(50 Posts)
Orda1 Wed 30-Mar-16 21:34:02

A, I the only one watching it? It's so difficult to believe it's real.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 30-Mar-16 21:35:19

I'm watching. It's all terrifying isn't it? And I just don't know how the world has come to this.

ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 30-Mar-16 21:37:10

I hadn't really been paying attention to the Trump thing before but how can people be supporting someone whose 3 pain manifestos are ban Muslims from entering USA (is that even legal) deporting 11 million immigrants (again is that legal if they are not illegal immigrants) building a wall on border with Mexico and somehow making Mexico pay for it. It really seems crazy!

ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 30-Mar-16 21:38:20

*main manifestos but perhaps pain fits as well. I really hope the American people don't let this happen.

wonkylegs Wed 30-Mar-16 21:39:51

Yep scary scary stuff. I find the possibility terrifying.

Orda1 Wed 30-Mar-16 21:41:47

It is terrifying, it's not just him that's scary - his supporters, other candidates!

lertgush Wed 30-Mar-16 21:42:24

YANBU but you should balance it out by watching a program about Bernie Sanders.

lertgush Wed 30-Mar-16 21:43:01

...and bear in mind that Trump has the highest unfavourable ratings of pretty much any candidate ever, which says a lot for how the majority of Americans feel about him.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 30-Mar-16 21:44:01

Today he has said that abortion should be illegal, and that women who have them should be punished.

That's Trump, obvs - not Bernie.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 30-Mar-16 21:44:49

...and bear in mind that Trump has the highest unfavourable ratings of pretty much any candidate ever, which says a lot for how the majority of Americans feel about him.

Exactly, gush. Totally terrifying.

MegCleary Wed 30-Mar-16 21:44:50

What I don't understand, in America there is such a strong emphasis on the split between church and state. How come they are all so religious as they campagain?

Kummerspeck Wed 30-Mar-16 21:46:43

I have some friends in the US who say Trump is saying what the angry, scared people want to hear. It sounds like the attention UKIP got here before our election from those who feel they are not listened to by anybody else

Jaimx86 Wed 30-Mar-16 21:47:52

What a prick edition.cnn.com/2016/03/30/politics/donald-trump-abortion-town-hall/index.html

londonrach Wed 30-Mar-16 21:47:57

I know. Wasn't impressed with the other guy either. Dh just said its frightening that the best choice of these two is trump. What a choice? Im so glad im not american and making this choice. Vote kermit the frog anyone? 🐸

CosyNook Wed 30-Mar-16 21:48:44

DH is watching it as he likes this kind of thing so I'm watching over the laptop

SwedishEdith Wed 30-Mar-16 21:50:10

I think the supporters are more scary. He's saying anything to whip them into a frenzy to get elected. He possibly (?) doesn't even believe or care about the things he's saying. He sure as hell doesn't give a shit about his supporters and doesn't care at all if they're unemployed etc. In a way, he's a manageable problem. It's the swathes of the public who agree with what he's saying that are more worrying.

ConfuciousSayWhat Wed 30-Mar-16 21:53:55

Think about how Hitler got in. Saying not a lot in a convincing way and appealing to the nationalist sensibilities of the voters

Chippednailvarnish Wed 30-Mar-16 21:55:25

He makes me feel physically ill looking at him.

Tessticklesyourfancy Wed 30-Mar-16 23:00:51

I've got it recorded to watch another day but I've seen other things about him and read several articles but I'm no expert. I'm flabbergasted that he has gone this far, yes he is saying what some want to hear but this is now going beyond a joke. Someone up thread mentioned Hitler, extreme maybe but so is Trump. I'm hoping for an alien abduction, his not mine grin

lertgush Wed 30-Mar-16 23:26:00

Is the UK media just not mentioning Sanders at all?

TheSpottedZebra Wed 30-Mar-16 23:42:39

They do, gush, but not in too much detail. We're not horrified by his politics, he's not an absurd, jingoistic clown, and he's not going to get the nomination, so he's not the focus.

SenecaFalls Thu 31-Mar-16 02:35:03

How come they are all so religious as they campagain?

The Republican party is the home of the religious right, and Republican candidates have to appeal to them as they are an important component of the Republican base. You don't hear much religious talk among the Democratic candidates.

ChalkHearts Thu 31-Mar-16 02:41:58

Punishing women for having an abortion is the scariest thing I've ever heard. How on earth can this guy be so popular?

cricketballs Thu 31-Mar-16 07:30:42

Just watched a clip on BBC Breakfast when he was being questioned about who to 'punish' really abortions (apparently he has changed his position since and now he wants to punish the doctors who perform the procedure). When he was asked about the father his response was fathers not to be punished the clip finished and it looked like Nega was having to bite her lips hard to stop herself saying something

cricketballs Thu 31-Mar-16 07:33:11

The series on BBC 2 following Obama in the Whitehouse is an eye opener into how the American system works; watch the first episode that covers the health reforms. The biggest battles he had were with the Republicans and abortions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now