To completely lack motivation and want to go to bed?

(13 Posts)
teddymou Wed 30-Mar-16 12:17:36

I need a good kick up the a** and knowing you guys you'll give it to me. I have suffered on and off from depression and am on anti-ds, have been for years. Just feeling a bit low at the minute and feel that if I don't catch myself I'll be in a downwards spiral. I have a good job, a great husband, two healthy kids so in theory I've nothing to moan about. But I just feel no motivation or energy for the past five days or so. Feel sorry for myself. Starting exercising with a PT next week so that's something to help shift the mood but how can I get over the next few days? Please help!

Snapespeare Wed 30-Mar-16 12:22:55

Yes, I get that.

I started taking a multivit, some b vitamins and a q-10 a few days ago and feel less like going to bed and not getting up for a while.

How's your diet? Are you eating well and regularly? Can you go for a swim or a walk To try to up your happy-hormones?

I'm not going to kick you up the arse: it's ok to feel like this, it's good that you recognise your signs.

NotNob Wed 30-Mar-16 12:32:03

I am prone to low level anxiety which can spike if I don't manage it, this will result in feeling de motivated and very tired.

I absolutely recommend exercise, it's changed my life. Don't underestimate it and in advance of you first PT session do something to get your heart rate up. Go running or swim, yes it won't feel good to begin with but you'll feel great afterwards.

AliceScarlett Wed 30-Mar-16 13:03:51

I expect you're kicking yourself up the arse enough.

"I have a good job, a great husband, two healthy kids so in theory I've nothing to moan about. "

But these are all external things, depression doesn't necessarily correlate to circumstances. What about your subjectivity?

Earlyday Wed 30-Mar-16 13:13:04

Is there something in particular that's making you feel this way. I often have worries at the back if my mind that effect my whole mood.

MaryFlynn Wed 30-Mar-16 13:18:59

Can I hijack and ask what kind of exercise is best to raise the mood? I know that it should help but it just feels like punishment to me.

teddymou Wed 30-Mar-16 13:59:39

Earlyday - you're probably right, a lot of the problem is that although I have a good job I hate it and it's particularly getting me down at the minute. The kids are off school on easter break and I feel like when I'm finished work we should be doing something special together but I just don't have the energy as I'm so down. I would give anything just to get away on my own, even for two nights and just have a complete break from everything and everyone - you have no idea how selfish it is for me to think that as my husband is so good to me and my children are so happy and well-behaved, I have no reason to just wish I could pull the curtains and duvet over my head and disappear for a few days.

WaitrosePigeon Wed 30-Mar-16 14:01:35

What is your diet like currently? I am exactly like you and when my diet is shit. For example binge eating, eating too much crap, bad nutrients etc I feel even worse.

TurnOffTheTv Wed 30-Mar-16 14:04:23

I did that a couple of weeks ago. I just needed a break from the daily grind. I just didn't want to think about anything. My husband was at home at the time and I sat him down and told him what I needed help with. I went to bed on Friday morning after the school run abd didn't get back out till Saturday night and I felt loads better. Hope you get a rest X

RedMapleLeaf Wed 30-Mar-16 14:20:37

I would give anything just to get away on my own, even for two nights and just have a complete break from everything and everyone

I always think that this feeling is very important and shouldn't be ignored (otherwise your health starts to suffer, as you can see). Is there any chance you could do this? Or do something similar for one night or one afternoon or one hour?

LionsLedge Wed 30-Mar-16 14:23:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jojoriley Wed 30-Mar-16 20:41:25

I too crave alone time. I think tell your husband that's what you need and maybe book a hotel for Friday night. Just go have room service come back later on Saturday? Is that possible?

Earlyday Wed 30-Mar-16 20:45:03

I know it's hard - the worry at the back of my mind is for my son who has aspergers. Even though it's mild I always think he'll end up with no friends or being bullied - it makes me depressed. Other than that my life, like yours, is quite good - I have a lot of things to be grateful for.

I'm kind of a worrier and have had phases of feeling depressed and anxious - and then feeling really well when everything's going my way.

One thing that is effective is cognitive behavioural therapy - have you ever tried it? I did a course about 10 yrs ago with a psychologist and he recommended this book www.amazon.co.uk/Feeling-Good-Handbook-David-Burns/dp/0452281326. It teaches you how to identify automatic negative thoughts that spring in to your mind and drag your mood down. It shows you how to think a little differently about things. When you're thinking just a little bit more positively it improves your mood. One easy step you could take would be to order that book or get it from the library.

I know myself going for a brisk walk - about 20 or 30 mins does wonders for my mood - but sometimes the problem is motivating myself to do it.

If you did escape for a few nights by yourself is your plan just to lie in bed somewhere or do something?

Have you tried anti- depressants - I haven't taken them for a few years but there was a point where they benefited me. Sometimes I wasn't sure were they just having a placebo effect - I felt better just taking them - I knew they were doing something to lift my serotonin levels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now