More WWYD?- Bedwetting.

(14 Posts)
LovelyBath Tue 29-Mar-16 09:59:16

My DS is just turned 11. We have tried lots of stuff over the years for bedwetting but it hasn't worked. Think it's hereditary as DH had the same thing into teen years. (he had an awful time of it, being blamed, reward charts and the like until it changed on it's own)

I've read about a tablet called Desmopressin which can help. Asked the GP. She is saying we need to do wee samples and go back to the bedwetting clinic where they want to measure his bladder capacity etc. He won't. (do the tests or do back to the clinic). Understandable. DH says why am I making a fuss. He was in pyjama pants but now won't go back to them.

I just would prefer them to give us the tablets. AIBU?

monkeysox Tue 29-Mar-16 10:01:53

You need to.follow the procedure to get the tablets. Your poor ds flowers

LovelyBath Tue 29-Mar-16 10:05:19

Yes he will beef to secondary soon so I'm thinking of residential trips etc. It is hard, especially as DS (7) has been fine for years.

LovelyBath Tue 29-Mar-16 10:05:37

be off not 'beef'

Name7 Tue 29-Mar-16 10:13:24

Desmopressin didn't work for us but we bought the alarm that you wear in your pants. About £35 I think. It was brilliant. Totally dry within 10 days.

LovelyBath Tue 29-Mar-16 11:03:00

Name7 which one was that? We got one for about £100 and we managed to lose it. Many thanks

Sidge Tue 29-Mar-16 11:15:58

It's not about just having the tablets. He also needs to be on board with managing his wetting. It's not his fault but he needs to take control of how he manages it and there's far more to managing night wetting than just taking a tablet. I used to run an enuresis clinic and it was crucial that the child was 100% involved in the process.

Also relatively few children wet because of lack of vasopressin, often there are other reasons for wetting that need investigating and assessing first, hence the need for a full assessment and possibly urodynamics.

gleam Tue 29-Mar-16 11:52:43

Poor you. flowers
I've been theough this and it was horrible.

Does your ds strip his own bed or put the washing on?

gleam Tue 29-Mar-16 11:53:06

through

LovelyBath Tue 29-Mar-16 16:26:25

OK thanks. Yes he does change the bed, we have also tried several things in particular increasing drinking water in the day and less at night which seems to help. I read on ERIC website if one parent has the problem, there is around 40% chance a child will too and is usually the hormone taking time to kick in. Hence us wanting to use the desmopressin. It also being what my son wants. He doesn't want all the measuring etc at the clinic and reward charts and fuss.

ArmfulOfRoses Tue 29-Mar-16 16:30:14

We also used an alarm for ds, it was the wetstop 2 from Amazon, around £20 I think.
I have a huge diary like thread on behaviour and development about it under the name whereisegg, lots of advice from various posters.

Good luck smile

LovelyBath Tue 29-Mar-16 17:02:16

Thanks for all your help.

Maidupmum Tue 29-Mar-16 17:11:49

Get the Desmo. It changed my DSs life overnight. He went from wetting every night to never wetting. Explain to your DS that it's a short term pain for long term gain. It must be PCT dependent- we didn't have to do see charts. We went to see the incontinence nurse and she prescribed it at the first appointment.
Also, don't allow him to drink Blackcurrant juice, it's the worst thing for them apparently

LovelyBath Tue 29-Mar-16 20:29:47

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now