AIBU to bloody hate seeing women described as "upgrades?";

(10 Posts)
DraenorQueen Tue 29-Mar-16 08:17:15

Old story. Man cheats on long standing wife of similar age with much younger woman. Wife is cast aside, cue beaming pictures of Mr Cheat and Miss OW - she's given him a new lease of life, how lovely.

I'm so sick of seeing the word "upgrade" though and I'm seeing it more and more. Is it meant to be flippant? A semi-joke likening it to upgrading your phone? And it pisses me off that once again, women are reminded that they have a shelf life; they can easily be replaced by a younger model once they've reached that unappealing age of "old."

Sorry - bit of a disjointed rant - just feeling a bit sad after speaking to a friend who's going through this and seeing similar stories in the papers almost daily.

bobbywash Tue 29-Mar-16 08:40:56

It works both ways, have seen it from women too. It's just modern language evolving.

curren Tue 29-Mar-16 08:45:36

I don't like it. But I know women who use it. I have heard it used when cheating wasn't involved too.

Happyrouter Tue 29-Mar-16 08:48:19

It absolutely does not work both ways. The occasional example of an older woman leaving her partner for a younger man is in no way comparable to the endemic practice among men and it's disingenuous to suggest it is.

Helmetbymidnight Tue 29-Mar-16 08:49:35

It's horrible. Do people actually say it seriously?

curren Tue 29-Mar-16 08:52:51

The work 'upgrade', which is what the thread it about, absolutely does go, both ways. Age doesn't always come into it. It can be look or money.

A friend recently told be she had got herself an 'upgrade'. She dumped her overweight boyfriend who was on minimum wage and started dating a fitness model who earned a lot more money.

Both men were the same age.

OneLove10 Tue 29-Mar-16 08:54:15

I've seen both men and women using it in the opposite sex. It's not only men who do it.

MorrisZapp Tue 29-Mar-16 08:55:41

Blimey. In my day it was 'he traded her in for younger model'.

Car lingo is now phone lingo.

YouTheCat Tue 29-Mar-16 09:00:42

This is a 'twat' issue not a gender one.

My partner is younger than me. My exh is 16 years older than him. To describe my partner as an 'upgrade' would be hugely disrespectful to him.

catsinthecraddle Tue 29-Mar-16 09:17:45

Of course it goes both ways, and they are equally wrong. How many examples of women cheating on their husband with better looking and younger men, whilst the husband is spending his life at work to provide for Madame? It's awfully cliche, but I know of a few men who who have been dumped by their wives that way.

So YANBU to hate that terms, but YABU if you think it's gender related.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now