ENT/Chest infection - first day at new job tomorrow. WWYD?

(22 Posts)
WanderingNotLost Mon 28-Mar-16 17:51:11

I'm due to start my new job tomorrow on a temp to perm basis.

Today I have a nose that is both blocked and runny at the same time, a very sore scratchy throat, constant painful sneezing fits, a cough that's bringing up some delightful green slime, an intense pain in my left ear, a throbbing headache and a temperature of 38.4.

I've taken sudafed, lemsip cold & flu tablets, a lemsip lemon drink and honey and lemon strepsils; no difference whatsoever. Eaten chicken soup, drinking ginger tea.

So my options are, go to work on my first day feeling, looking and sounding utterly hideous and make a bad first impression, or ring in sick on my first day, and make a bad first impression.

WWYD?

WorraLiberty Mon 28-Mar-16 17:53:48

I think I'd see if there's a Pharmacy open on the way to work, or at lunchtime.

I don't think turning up ill will create a bad impression at all.

Feel better soon thanks

wannadancethenightaway Mon 28-Mar-16 17:56:09

Go to work. I know you're feeling utterly rotten but definitely go and then come home and phone NHS 24 and see if you can get an out of hours appointment tomorrow night if you're still feeling deadful

carabos Mon 28-Mar-16 18:00:19

Go to work. They'll send you home if they think that's appropriate. Much worse impression would be to ring in sick.

TheCrumpettyTree Mon 28-Mar-16 18:00:31

I would forget the lemsip and take a decent dose of paracetamol and ibuprofen.

WanderingNotLost Mon 28-Mar-16 20:57:06

Thanks for the suggestions and sympathy smile tried the paracetamol/ibuprofen combo, still feeling pretty hideous but it's less painful now. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

smellsofelderberries Mon 28-Mar-16 21:20:37

See if you can get your hands on some Anadin in the morning and pop a few, one of my tricks for a bad cold.

PastaLaFeasta Mon 28-Mar-16 21:25:59

There seems to be flu going round, I had it recently and couldn't even do my work at home. I hope it's just a bad cold. Actifed was good for clearing the sinuses and chest as well as the usual paracetamol. I'd go in initially and they can see how poorly you are and they may advise you go home.

Fizzielove Mon 28-Mar-16 21:57:32

Definitely go in! I hired a girl who emailed in sick on her first day. It didn't go down well.

WanderingNotLost Mon 28-Mar-16 22:52:10

I'm going to go in. Although my nose is still dripping like a tap so I might just have to wedge some tissue up each nostril if I want to get any sleep!

edwinbear Mon 28-Mar-16 23:09:04

Go to work, let them see how unwell you are, but that you are committed enough to not call in sick in your first day. They will undoubtedly send you home, but you will have proved you are not a skiver.

Stripyhoglets Mon 28-Mar-16 23:17:44

Go in and hope that they send you home, rotten bad luck though. Hope you are better soon.

WanderingNotLost Tue 29-Mar-16 14:58:55

Update- went in, got sent home 3 hours later sad but they were pleased that I made the effort!

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Tue 29-Mar-16 15:13:44

Well done, definitely the right decision

londonrach Tue 29-Mar-16 15:45:08

Hope you feel better soon but you made the right decision to go in. Now sleep, lots of hot drinks and get better. x

thebestfurchinchilla Tue 29-Mar-16 15:53:25

Go to work. First impressions count. Meds will bring temp down hopefully. Better that you make the effort imo. Get well soon.

oldlaundbooth Tue 29-Mar-16 16:08:25

I'd go.

At least they will know you are actually sick.

If they are really decent they might actually send you home!

I had a terrible cold last week (think nose dripping constantly, hacking cough = nice!) but I still went in, even though it was only my second week.

oldlaundbooth Tue 29-Mar-16 16:09:31

Ah.

Must read the full thread next time!

MummaV Tue 29-Mar-16 16:36:39

Glad you went in and showed willing and glad that they sent you home to recover! Hope you get well soon!

ilovesooty Tue 29-Mar-16 16:41:11

Get well soon!

Geordiegirl79 Tue 29-Mar-16 17:56:53

Ah, get well soon. Poor you! You made the right decision. Hope you manage to get some rest. flowers

Orda1 Tue 29-Mar-16 18:29:10

Hope you're feeling better, as you say they will value the effort. At least it was something where they could see you were unwell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now