to be annoyed at cousin for just turning up

(25 Posts)
PainAuChocolat23 Sun 27-Mar-16 20:10:23

I have a 9mo ds and he went to bed at 7 and had just went to sleep when my cousin and her husband and 2 kids came to the house with an egg for him. My aibu is that he hasnt been well and has been unsettled all day so surely it would of been nice to send a heads up they were coming along? They know he goes to bed at this time yet have had all day to come along but chose tonight to. I know i may be being unreasonable but im pretty annoyed

Vintage45 Sun 27-Mar-16 20:17:07

In the age of text etc. I don't get people just dropping in? YANBU

FarrowandBallAche Sun 27-Mar-16 20:19:58

Did they wake him up?

PainAuChocolat23 Sun 27-Mar-16 20:20:11

I wouldnt of minded if she had text me and said but to just turn up isnt nice

PainAuChocolat23 Sun 27-Mar-16 20:20:38

farrow they did yes

FarrowandBallAche Sun 27-Mar-16 20:21:54

That's not good then.

Try not to let it get to you brew

bornwithaplasticspoon Sun 27-Mar-16 20:25:35

Yanbu. I hate people just turning up, even more so right on dc's bedtimes. Not hard to text first so you can get to the door without them needing to ring or knock.

PainAuChocolat23 Sun 27-Mar-16 20:27:13

It doesnt help my dog barks when the door knocks which made it worse sad thankfully he seems to be getting sleepy again so hopefully he will be sleeping again soon

Vintage45 Sun 27-Mar-16 21:09:41

Text and tell how much of a shit it is for you. If they care they understand.

Vintage45 Sun 27-Mar-16 21:11:43

They were doing the "rounds" and didn't think about it, they aren;t nasty bad people, you just need to say "baby" has been up all night or whatever. I personally didn't have a massive schedule and would gladly have visitors.

PainAuChocolat23 Sun 27-Mar-16 21:14:37

I wouldnt of minded them coming but just not at bedtime. Ive been in all day and they could of came earlier and spent time with him

AdrenalineFudge Sun 27-Mar-16 21:23:13

Are you doing that on purpose?

FarrowandBallAche Sun 27-Mar-16 21:24:28

Of?

katemiddletonsothermum Sun 27-Mar-16 21:45:46

I'm sure you explained that it was past his bedtime and that they could come in for a minute for a cup of tea and then fuck off again.

wannadancethenightaway Sun 27-Mar-16 22:04:44

Is this a serious AIBU? Someone dropped an Easter egg in for your son...how appalling of them. I'm assuming your son slept through the whole thing. Perhaps they've been busy all day and this was the first chance the selfish bastards got to drop off a gift to your son. YABU and massively ungrateful

NinaSimoneful Mon 28-Mar-16 01:44:42

I'm assuming your son slept through the whole thing

You're assuming wrong. then. OP has said they did wake him up.

CaoNiMao Mon 28-Mar-16 06:06:05

In the grand scheme of things, is this really a big deal, OP? Try and get it into perspective.

Pippa12 Mon 28-Mar-16 08:09:39

No it wouldn't really bother me tbh, I imagine after a good nights sleep it won't bother you too much either flowers

WhatTheActualFugg Mon 28-Mar-16 08:13:35

Rude on both counts. Turning up uninvited at what is very obviously bed time, and buying a 9 month old baby an Easter egg. hmm

ohohohitsmagic Mon 28-Mar-16 08:14:32

No yanbu. It's thoughtless and ridiculous when people don't consider what other people might be doing and just expect everyone to go along with them. If they had texted earlier and said that was the only time they could come then would you have kept your kid up a bit later to see them?

CosyNook Mon 28-Mar-16 08:20:21

Perhaps they've been busy all day and this was the first chance the selfish bastards got to drop off a gift to your son.

The 7 year old has been unwell so perhaps the OP has been busy all day and this was her first chance to sit down?

I'm with you OP, I hate people just dropping by. Phone or text first.

cleaty Mon 28-Mar-16 08:59:31

Just ask them to text first in future. 7pm is early if you haven't got young kids yourself. Until MN, I wouldn't have thought twice about just dropping in to leave an egg at that time of day. And I wouldn't text if I was literally just dropping something in, rather than visiting for a drink.

hesterton Mon 28-Mar-16 09:02:13

Did they intentionally wake him or did the front door wake him? Because if it was the door - that's not really their fault as any other visitor including the postie could wake him. But if they barged into his room without your permission then no yanbu.

cleaty Mon 28-Mar-16 09:03:30

But then I find it strange that I can literally walk past my sisters door on the way to the local shops, and that she does not consider it okay for me to knock to give her something. She rarely answers the phone, and takes time to reply to texts, so I can walk past her door, and then have to make a trip out later to drop something by. Seems crazy to me.

2016ismyyear Mon 28-Mar-16 09:07:41

Anyone is welcome at any time of day in our house. That means they take us as they are though. I'd have ushered them into the kitchen if baby was just going down and explained. Turn the doorbell off if necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now